The mystery that is Yelp

I know there is no mystery. You have a lot of people trolling Yelp for the cheapest bid. That being said I’ve held my guns and think am I really being unreasonable? The jobs I have gotten have been rewarding and I’m learning a lot. I’m a newer guy on the block. Started in August ‘20 part time while I work my day job to get going. When I’ve asked why potential customers went with another company I hear that I’m too high! Case in point this guy I bid on his 44 solar panels on his 2nd floor slate tile roof and I went with $8 a panel where normally I am around $10 for 1st time cleaning. Most people either get their panels cleaned for the first time or haven’t done it in at least a year. So the guy gets back to me and is nice enough to say this other company is charging $130. That’s under $3 a panel approximately 3’x6’. And I tell him make sure those guys have insurance. Or they fall and you pay…
I just want to hear how you guys navigate Yelp? Did I tell you I cleaned the gutters on a 3 story condominium building and soft wash and did a couple windows at their entry for $3500 from a property management company that found me on Yelp. So you never know…

they ripped me off, i will not pay them anything else

I hear you! I will wait and use the free advertising $$ they try to entice you with and then stop advertising once that money runs out.

I’m on Yelp , have never paid them a penny . It’s just a numbers game , yes there’s people that come on looking for the cheapest . Looking for just a quote , I never give a price . I Allways push for in person estimate . I would say 20% of people would like the in person estimate , lots of shady people here , so they want to get to know who’s coming specially if we’re going inside the home . I personally wish I had push my clients to review me on google rather than Yelp , but it is what it is

1 Like

start pushing for google reviews now!

1 Like

Working on it , it’s just a slow process . Funny most of my work comes from google business maps

1 Like

and that will improve with more google reviews

1 Like

Thanks. I usually will only quote if they send pictures. That’s only 10% of the maybe 5% I get work from. I do try to get customers to write a review but the more I try to nudge people they just don’t follow through.
I appreciate your feedback

I have an account. Never paid for any advertising. Post pics with dates washed several times weekly. I’ve got seven or eight reviews. Been very beneficial to my business…

never spend $ with them

@CarterCleans Hey Charlie!

There’s a few things to keep in mind

1. The “channel” or platform being marketed on
  2. Human psychology in decision making
  3. Our own confirmation bias as business owners

First, Yelp. I’ve been on Yelp for many years (I think around 6). I’ve got 40 or 50 reviews but they changed their algorithm and my “recommended reviews” went down to 10% of the total. I had received many thousands of dollars of work off of Yelp without paying their monthly service charge. When they would tell me that competitors that advertised with them would show up on my profile if I didn’t choose the pay them for their monthly paid service, I used the conceited line, “I bring you guys business because I own the highest rated and most reviewed window cleaning company on your website in my city. You should be paying me, I gain nothing paying you guys.” So that’s all to say they had been a good source of income for awhile, but I think it’s an opportunity that’s about squeezed dry. I had really good quality higher end residential jobs come from Yelp.

second: Its difficult for us humans to articulate the emotions that drive our decisions, so we default to something easier to point to, or possibly a symptomatic antidotal response to the driving emotion we’re trying to rationalize a decision for. A prospective client can say they went with another company because of price, and though it can be true, it splinters off into a couple other things (that I can think of off the top of my head, I’m sure there’s more).

A. They’re too timid to tell you the real reason for choosing a different company
B. They had subconscious reasons that led them to choose a different company they don’t know how to articulate (Read Start With Why -Simon Sinek, for more info on this)

Point number 3. I was thinking about what you said, and the apparent frustration you have with losing clients through this marketing avenue. I’ve been in that boat as well, but it seems like there’s been less and less disappointment over the years when a deal falls through the cracks. I’d recommend reading a classic in advertising Scientific Advertising - Claude Hopkins. It’s very insightful.

At least for me when I started out I did whatever I could afford to, to get business in the door. I was hungry for, and honestly desperate for work… Once I found my footing, and steady streams of calls started coming in my fear of lack of work, and frustrations with losing a bid to someone else also waned.

It seems like there’s potential for a good bit of confirmation bias (on the part of the business owner). I’m not sure if it’ll be helpful for you to do some introspection and determine if this is an issue strictly and only with Yelp, or if it’s a problem that’s exaggerated itself (e.g. because of dealing with an extra mean person who said they didn’t work with you because of price). Have you dealt with the same closing ratio with other platforms like facebook, Nextdoor, thumbtack etc? Maybe something to start thinking about, (and tracking).

I DEFINITELY have bias against Yelp. I don’t want to do business with the company, but will gladly take business from them.

Once I worked through the need to get jobs coming in, after there was a steady stream my focus moved to hiring employees and using them as “guinea pigs” for building systems and automations for my field operations. I guess.

I hope this Novel has been helpful.

All the Best,

Jarred

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the info. I will take a look at those books you recommended. Honestly I haven’t read up on the topic of business and the psychology behind customer perceptions. I do realize I play a huge part with my own bias and perceptions. Lately, I’ve definitely been humble and have had zero Yelp traffic. But just yesterday got a customer that contacted me over 2 months back from Yelp and upsold him on my services.
Currently my website is being built or rebuilt with a SEO program to boost my presence in my area. I’m happy to try more of a front door approach and not use the “middle man” approach. I’m thinking more long term and older potential clients who may just search through Google.
Secondly, I’m working on direct sales with businesses to get a footing with exterior cleaning rather than just windows and then come around and get their windows after doing the other work for them. I’ve got a local restaurant client that has potential for this idea to work and I’ll report back with what happens.
Frozone, do you provide just window cleaning or other services? I do appreciate you taking the time and your thoughts.
Thank you
Charlie

very well said

we’re all in the marketing business as small business owners that happens to provide window cleaning

The “we’re going to put your competitors on your page unless” tactic reveals their get money from you or else strong arm agenda and has turned off businesses that know how to market and know who they are for and can reach that market without their help

becoming dependent on one app is dangerous, the same as relying only on phone books in the ancient days was dangerous

the antidote is develop a solid marketing machine that works when you want it so you can take or leave any app any time with no pain or dependence, including what google may or may not pull on businesses if they resort to yelp tactics

3 Likes

Good point. I started about 4 1/2 years ago, and have over 100 HomeAdvisor and over 100 Google 5 Star reviews today. While I do NOT recommend HA these days, they were great for me at the start. I would go one further and add getting a good CRM. Although I currently use Markate, I’m also researching their competition to find one less wonky. Although Markate has more layers than an onion, I waste too much time frustrated because things are not intuitive enough or I waste time clicking a button over and over before I get the results for which I clicked. BTW, I haven’t found the suitable upgrade yet.

My primary reason for responding is because after shooting down sales rep after sales rep for the past two years, I bought today from a rep who not only did his homework but also helped me optimize my exposure and gave me $900 in free leads.

1 Like

I’ve found audible to be incredible beneficial. I also just got a scribd membership (unlimited books and audio books from their selection. They’ve got a decent selection of books/audio books.) I’d be willing to be @Bruce has some great suggestions on beneficial resources for efficiently consuming information.

I personally enjoy cold calling commercial prospects in person.

I’ve got a buddy who’s told me, “Jarred, window cleaning is the gateway drug. If you can do a residential window cleaning job, it’s so much easier to upsell them on gutter cleaning, moss removal, pressure washing, and Christmas light installation.”

Window cleaning is generally the lower priced ticket item, so generally it’s easier for people to “pull the trigger”. Definitely let us know how it works out for ya! We’re looking forward to hearing how it goes.

My company sticks to window cleaning and Custom fit Christmas light installation because adding pressure/soft washing though lucrative doesn’t fit into our strategic operational agenda. It seems to get exponentially harder the more types of services that are offered, because of SOP’s, and employment training (I’m sure there’s other reasons but those were the 2 that came to mind.)

Yeah, so my company does window cleaning (low rise commercial, residential, residential CCU, and we’ve dabbled in prevailing wage with a lot of challenges.) We also do gutter cleaning on occasion, and custom fit Christmas light installation.

I’ve taken notes, and I’m trying to learn from the best, like you.

Man, if only they could see our responses to their manipulative tactics. lol

“How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.” ~ Robert G. Allen

“Diversification is a protection against ignorance. It makes very little sense for those who know what they’re doing.” Warren Buffet

The longer I’ve been in business the more layers I see that overlap from other industry, and other business opportunities in general. Diversification can happen beyond of Wall Street. Diversification of marketing avenues definitely helped us this last year during Covid because other guys who only did route work, were the first ones to shut down, or at least the hardest hit. Since we do new residential ccu, maintenance residential, low rise commercial, and a wee little bit of route work, it thankfully saved our fannies.

diversification can happen with marketing, types of work, types labor, etc. Its useful tool to have in the back pocket of business savvy skills.

2 Likes

Just got burned by them for a second time for $606 for 3 days of cliks and 0 leads

Man that sucks

Thank you for experiencing that for me!