Too much safety?

Looked at a CCU job at a local Univ. 87,000 sf residence hall. No one works without hard hat, steel toed boots, safety glasses and a florescent vest…Safety first they told me…sheesh…

1 Like

Yup…! :wink:

Those jobs are a pain

I don’t see the problem, in the past 15 years EVERY SINGLE construction site I have been on these have been the rules, but also they make us wear those gloves glaziers wear also, oh and your not allowed to use ladders on construction sites here well you can as long as its a platform step ladder.
We always hated it as the time we were the building was 99% complete and hard hats seems not necessary but thems’ the rules

Jsa , waiting on elevator, walking up 30 floors multiple times a day. No fun

1 Like

Ugh. I’m gonna try to bite my tongue as much as possible…
And those who know me, know that’s tough in itself.

• and moreso when it comes to who decided how far “safety” should go.

I’m really weird about watching/noticing/observing my surroundings.
I don’t know why, but I’m a nut about watching how people act and react to things…

I think it’s a numbers game… ever job I’ve ever had, has been dealing with people in different settings.

Humans, in general, are fragile, ignorant, unaware, oblivious, (expletive)
Its a wonder they make it through the DAY!

I cant tell you how many times, I’ve stopped at a green light, because I could see something was not right…
Only to have some dipshit fly right through a red.

• he went on with his day, and has no clue that I saved his life.

I often wonder what he did for a living.

Point is, we’d all be “safer” if we crawled on all fours, rather than stand upright.
(lees risk of tripping)

• but someone, somewhere, noticed we can jump out of the way of the falling piano, if we stand upright.

That dipshit who runs the red light…
He wants you to crawl, because hes doing his job.

I want you to be able to get the hell out of the way, because I’m the guy who could see what he didn’t.
(running that red light.)

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with safety.

It’s all down to liability.

They are liable as contracting company… thats it.

They are covering everything they can…

Wheres there’s blame there’s a claim!

1 Like

I always wonder how some people make it to the age they do and haven’t been killed.

The worst are pedestrians that walk right into the street without even looking. seriously? didn’t we learn that stuff in kindergarten?

I think ‘awareness’ is a learned skill, and most people don’t have it.

1 Like

When it comes to it, as my previous post states, it’s really down to liability.

I’ve always wondered why insurance companies cover window cleaners (or any commercial trade user) with ladders without any formal training.

I’ve checked my docs and it says no where on them, that you must be a competent/trained user of a ladder - but yet they insure any fool that cares to use one? Since it’s highly likely the lesser trained/competent users are the ones that are more likely to have an accident or cause an accident and have the insurance paying out to a 3rd party etc.

Does that make sense? Since there are some form of regulations of working at height now for most developed countries.

1 Like

Australia goes overboard on safety always, as soon as some idiot who should never have been using a ladder falls and dies then its basically a high court inquest there the polies discuss how to make it safer. I have been hearing for years how ladders have been banned, using a extension ladder on a commercial project for many instances is not an option, it will only be considered as the last option then they want you to wear a harness and tie the ladder off.
For every aspect of my business i need some sort of qualification that u cant get from a window cleaning company, If i want to work at height i need a high risk card for working safety at heights, same for ALL EWP, which is another high risk card for EWP, then if I wish to work on a construction site I need a white card, If I wish to work around the elderly or children I need a blue card.
Each of these qualifications has a starting cost at around $200 and if u want to do high rise work, your looking at about $1500 start price and if you don’t have these and do the job anyway, you may be fine so long as you don’t need an insurance claim, but then there are inspectors and if they catch you doing this work without these qualifications you will be severely fined, the individual will face $2000 and the company will face 10 times that, per offense.