Track Cleaning, do you do it?

I’ve never run into an occasion where the customer is wanting me to hurry and get out of the house. That I know of. If they are in a hurry, they just leave and I lock up. I think it always surprises them when I break out the vacuum and start cleaning all the tracks first. Including in the price, which I already charge premium for everyone, has been what I’ve done since day one. Maybe that’s another reason I have so many quarterly customer. I don’t know though. Maybe I am leaving money on the table, or maybe it’s putting more money on the table throughout the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

You get a basic service for free already since you’re a WCRA member. I’ve gone around and around with trying to set mine up and keep putting it on the back burner. My own fault since my pricing is sort of complicated at doesn’t seem to mesh with Responsibid’s system. If I make some adjustments I should be able to incorporate it.

Andrew, I think that is real good for making prospects aware that there are ‘degrees’ of service and could be quite profitable.
I still think I would have reservations about having a bad reputation in the eyes of people who saw my basic work and think it’s just lazy work.
Any of us veterans know that some deep inside care more about their landscaping than a perfect job, some care more about the spider webs in the corners of the frames than a spot or two on some glass.
Just my view.

Can only speak for myself but I have never been forced to do any job. When a potential client receives their estimate and they reciprocate with a lower #, I proceed to tell them two things. My price is non negotiable and now I’m not interested in cleaning their windows(my time has a certain value that my reputation reinforces and I don’t want to waste theirs either). On to the many more potential clients and no stress. It’s just that easy.

Well said Dan and I share your same view bud.

In our market we’ve found 90% of customers want/expect it, so we included it in our basic package.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

I include glass, frames, tracks, and screens for my “window cleaning service”. I look at it like this - the customer pays several hundred dollars to get their windows cleaned. When they open their clean windows they just paid for on a nice day and see all of that left over dirt they probably will think of someone else on their next several hundred dollar clean. When tracks are full of dirt and screens have trapped dirt along the bottom edges, which takes extra time and work, then I charge extra to clean those too and I explain this to the customer. I usually can catch this at the quote level or at the start of the first window if for some reason I wasn’t able to inspect during the quote.

Nominal dirt - included. Lots of dirt - extra charge.

Track cleaning the bane of window cleaners…
Thousands of homes later the only issue I ever have is track cleaning

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Amen brother!

btw what’s everyones method? I’ve used since day dot a Henderson Groova Tool made here in perth oz. It’s the ducks nts, & I’ve not seen anything like it on the net.

What are you charging for this service? Without track cleaning

The less stress you have the better! I like to keep things simple as well

Buddyo: Priceless. LOL

I did not read past the first page.

Before I even knew what tracks were and we had about 600 clients, only two requested it. After I learned about this we started offering it. We charge $2.00 per. My exact word are "we will use a brush to loosen any debris, run a vacuum over it, then run a wet then dry towel over it. Whatever comes up in that process is what is included’.

I do not use the word “clean” as that is arguable.

What I have found is if someone moves to WA ST from the East Coast they are surprised it is not included or “free” but have no problem paying for it. We probably clean tracks 50% of the time now.

Absolutely Don’t get me wrong, if you need the work then by all means do what you need 2 do. For me, by the first week of April I am slammed 6&7 days a week into mid August(not counting any new clients that come along during those months). I worked hard 2 get where I am with my reputation.

That’s the beauty of being crazy busy…you can pick and chose the jobs you want. Takes a while to get there, but it feels great once you arrive!

This pricing method doesn’t need to be exclusive to your estimates on ResponsiBid/website. You can present them to customers like this over the phone, through e-mail, in person, etc.

Dan,

I think I understand your reservations. However, whatever methods you clean a window, how you treat the customers landscape,or whatever it is you do for your customers “cleaning experience,” doesn’t have to change whether they choose the “premium, deluxe, of basic” package. The only difference is either cleaning the tracks/screens or not. I don’t think customers find having the option to pay for that service (premium) or not(basic) a bad thing. Cause everyone likes options, no?

IMO, all you’re doing is putting the ball in the customers court as to whether or not they want the tracks and screens cleaned. I’d also be very surprised if a customer finds your basic package “lazy.” You or your guys are cleaning the outsides of the windows just the same as you were if you were going to be doing the insides next as well.

Our crews did three residential outside only customers today actually. When I called each customer after they were finished, all three were very pleased with the work :slight_smile:

I just let people know up front that screens and tracks are included in the price. I think of it as going in for an oil change and not replacing the filter.

I also let then know the ‘whole 9 yards’ are included in my price.

This is a good, albeit oft-repeated thread. Nothing wrong with a fresh view on how everyone views this subject.

Was $9 per window complete in/out including screens.

Just bumped up to $10 per window & screens are an extra $1, thinking I will start adding a basic track wipe under the window with that.
Nothing more or less unless requested.

I have to agree with what some of the other guys are saying about someone lifting the window and noticing gunk - I want to be one of the best in the area, known for quality and able to justify a solid price.