TSP questions

Honestly about two seconds after you asked the question. I got a pdf of some science guy’s thesis and skimmed over a few collegiate chemistry notes.

1 Like

Excellent…

if you can’t hang on to your squeegee you are using too much. if you don’t have great slip on glass you don’t have quite enough.
i have used it on screens, i always rinse it off, it works great.

3 Likes

If you grab a rung on your ladder and you see stars and clouds then you have too much TSP in the mix

4 Likes

Let me know how this goes, because the “P” in TSP is the phosphate.

We are part of the (household cleaner) phosphate ban, here…so dishsoaps have become pretty much useless.

I still use normal, but have never tried the “P free” version.

1 Like

I picked some up from Home Depot the other day and used it for the second day. Yesterday was residential and today was commercial. Yesterday went well and I was excited about the soap. Today was not as good (as far as slip) but it could have been the account which tends to have a lot of drag with anything I use. I will continue to use it and test it. The two main tests left are French Windows (which I tend to always revert to dish soap so I can fan them easily). Its much easier to fan and cut corners on larger lanes so French Windows will be a true test. I have not found a soap, other than dish soap, that I can use on French windows, unless I’m doing strait pulls, which I rarely do on French Windows. The second test is how it performs in the heat. I will know more on that one in a few months.

So far I like it a lot. No suds so I can use a sponge, Plenty of slip so far, plenty of cleaning power. All a plus. I have been trying to find a soap for some time that I can use exclusively for all windows. Right now I carry 3 different soaps for various situations. In hoping I can scrap them all for TSP! So far so good!

1 Like

Sorry to edit, but…
Why?

Because it’s quicker. I use to do strait pulls on them until I started fanning them with no detailing and it went a lot quicker. I can blast through a job in no time. I’ve tried the same method with other soaps like GG only to revert back to strait pulls with the soap. Then back to dish soap on frenchies. :disappointed:

2 Likes

I’d like to see that

Are we talking about the same thing… “French Panes?”

I’m giving you credit, because you know that TSP allows better use of a sponge that liquid/dish soap.
(foam factor)
So the respect/acknowledgement is there… I’m not being a jerk.
Just talkin.

I guess, at this point…I’m suggesting hacksawing a “one swipe” channel.

2 Likes

No offense taken. I got that you were just conversing. I tried cutting channels about 10 years ago and found that not all panes are exact even on the same house and even though the panes are suppose to be the same size. Because of this you still spend time detailing. With fanning you don’t have to detail at all or very little. For me it goes faster. Believe me I have tried most every method and fanning has worked best over all for me.

Really looking forward to learn if this is a multipurpose soap. I want to buy the phosphate free version, I will post my findings too.

Just out of curiosity why do you want the phosphate free version?

1 Like

I want to develop a brand as an environmentally friendly cleaner. I live in an extremely environmentally conscious community. It is also a place of great natural beauty.
When I get the chance to blather about my services and cleaning products I always mention the products I use. I think that people see my sincerity and perceive that my services have added value.
Another extremely important benefit is the lack of exposures to noxious substances for myself, my helpers and my clients.

There seems to be a general misconception that genuine TSP is a harsh or noxious chemical. Truthfully it is quite the opposite.

Time was, people used TSP for EVERYTHING from laundry, to dishes, to scrubbing floors. It cleans stuff THAT WELL.

The main reason TSP is no longer in mainstream use as a household cleaner is not due to health and safety hazards, but because it is an extremely effective fertilizer. Plant life THRIVES on a phosphate-heavy diet. The problem came about when every house in the country was dumping those phosphates down the drain or tossing the used water in the backyard. The widespread collective runoff would eventually meet with local bodies of water and cause rampant algae growths due to the fertilizing nature of the compound. Too much algae would then upset the natural ecological balance, so the TSP was no longer seen as a panacea for all cleaning needs.

As long as you’re not dumping thousands of gallons of TSP into local aquifers I don’t think there is anything particularly environmentally unfriendly about its usage. This is coming from a guy who rides a bicycle for 5 hours on his commercial route while the window truck sits in his driveway.

8 Likes

keep in mind if it is phosphate free it is not the same AT ALL.
while it is unwanted in large quantities if you are using it in bottle not in a bucket the amount you actually use is micro and it is biodegradable.
yesterday i did a 2000 sqft bungalow including raised basement with approx 200 ml of mixed solution.

2 Likes

where did you source the liquid? At Home Depot I only saw the powder…

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe it’s the outside of the powdered box “DangerousDave” uses. It doesn’t have some flashy logo or “modern” coloring. Its so simple it looks deadly :wink:

2 Likes

this is the product from home depot - in canada. on the shelving with methyl hydrate, mineral spirits etc
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.trisodium-phosphate-concentrate-liquid---378-l.1000546950.html

Ok cool…dont think I saw it but ill have to check again. I wonder as a liquid concentrate the ratio is close to tablespoon/gallon that Samuel recommended/advised? I know you said just eyeball it but having somewhat of a gauge can be helpful if you happen to know offhand “about/approximately” how much you might use per gallon. If not, no worries & thanks for the info!

1 Like

it would be approx the same.
start with your clean water in a bucket with a lid.
add a little at a time and just test it on your vehicle glass DO NOT put your tbar or brush in it just splash a little on the glass and squeegee.
by the time you get good slip you will have lots of cleaning power. if it’s hard to hang on to your squeegee thats more than you need.
a five gallon bucket will do dozens of houses if dispensed with a squirt bottle instead of dipping a bar or brush in.
i have a set of measuring cups in the truck and if not sure i will filll one that i think is more than i need say 1 cup, then add it little by little till satisfied. now look at the cup and see about how much you used 1/4 1/3 now you know for next time.