Use clients from stolen list?

Recently started my own gig. I have a list of clients from a couple of companies that I used to work for. Should I undercut/ try to get their buisness?

Just my 2 cents, but some questions to consider:

When you hired in at these locations, did you sign a non-compete for the owners clientele?
Even that aside, would it bother your conscience?
And you might consider too, if you were in their shoes, how would you feel having someone you trusted and gave employment to, turn around and actively undercut your business with the list you trusted them with?

You do you, but it wouldn’t sit right with me.

1 Like

Fyi both businesses have just been sold and under new ownership

Kinda hard to operate your business with four slashed tires. Just a thought.

1 Like

Also put yourself in their shoes, how would you like to purchase a company that perhaps they used their life savings to pay for and have everything riding on it being a success only for an ex employee to swoop in and undercut prices to take the work away

1 Like

As a general rule thieves don’t spend much time thinking about other people. They tend to be self centered and selfish. Can’t be trusted.

3 Likes

Sorry bro, but that doesn’t really change things.
“The view from the top is sweeter when you’ve earned it.”
Do the work, put in time, pay the advertising dollars and grab success the honest way; it’ll feel so much better.

2 Likes

Few things to ask yourself.

Were you the only cleaner that sererviced these customers? Did you have a deep personal relationship with these customers? If you did, did you leave those customers high and dry when you left those companies? Are you going to offer these customers a much better service than the other companies from start to finish and beyond?

If you are truly just going to call them up and say when I was at x company we cleaned your windows for 170. Use me by myself and I’ll do it for 140. I wouldn’t do it.

Assuming you are better by yourself than those companies, I wouldn’t call or email them, I would send them an old school, send through the mail, introduction letter. Explaining who you are. Why you went out on your own. What they can expect from you. Then an offer your superior service. I would send out a letter to not just these customers but everyone on there street, and neighborhood. And I may charge more the those ex companies.

Then follow up with a postcard and or flyer campaign maybe even a knock on the door, over the next few weeks.

All of my employees sign a company handbook which has a non solicit section in it. So if I found out you were soliciting my customers, I’d tell you stop and if it didn’t stop, I’d proceed to sue you. And just because the businesses have new owners doesn’t mean you’re not bound by a non solicit, the agreement is between you and the business, not you and the owners.

Also, I’ve had 2 employees in the past try to solicit my customers and even though they liked the tech, the customers informed me immediately because they were business owners themselves and really didn’t appreciate a former employee trying to undercut us and take them. Needless to say, it didn’t work out for those two. One of them is in jail I hear and the other hasn’t been able to hold down a job for longer than 2 months at a time, oh yeah, and he came back trying to get his job back with me. Karma’s a b****.

I always find people of little moral character make bad life decisions. Funny how that works.

2 Likes

first of all if you signed a non compete that was reasonable (time frame, locations) honour it.
if there is no non compete or it is not reasonable (check with lawyer) go ahead.
do not undercut.
be careful of privacy, here people can sign up on do not call list and there are fines for calling them or emiailing. it makes you seem like a shmuck, and why would if you grow your costs will be the same as theirs.
a letter is safe. i am not aware of anywhere a letter is not safe.
state that you cleaned their windows in the past and wondered if they would like you to come back.

General consensus: No

I agree calling them on the phone sounds sketchy.

Is there such a shortage of windows in your area that you can’t just go out and put the work in to build your own business? Can’t come up with something on your own, so you must steal someone else’s business?

On a positive note, I do appreciate your post and thank you for it. Sometimes I feel I’m too jaded and distrustful of people in general. This has killed any desire I’ve ever had to actually hire someone to help. But your post reminds me that I’m not wrong. Thanks for reaffirming my reasons for distrust! Job well done. Now go rob that bank…

5 Likes

I Agree! Some people think it’s ok for THEM to rob banks. Like it’s a special privilege they have.

Everyone’s feeling the Bern - “your hand in my pockets”

3 Likes

Thats a good way to fast track yourself to a brand new set of kneecaps around here.

Don’t do it. Its a real scumbag move.

2 Likes

Do you believe in Karma? Yay or nay . . . If yes don’t if no then free game

1 Like

Get jobs by being professional, personable, doing good work and charging competitive rates not by being cheap. Guess what someone will come behind you cheaper than you are all getting 60 dollar jobs for 35 bucks cuz you started a pissing match. Every newbie thinks if I’m cheap I will get rich. No if your cheap you will go broke or work 80 hrs to make what your competitors make in 40. Charge like prices and be better not going cheap.

1 Like

I have a competitor that is doing this now and while he battles it out with a homeless guy on a bike for storefronts at low prices thinking he is busting my balls I’m doing hospitals, colleges and 100 plus pr hr residential, 80 hr storefront laughing to the bank while his dumbass thinks he is loaded dominating the main street for low prices. I just laugh cuz when Uncle sam comes end of 2020 and insurance is due again, and he gets busier and needs a full tank of gas every 3 days and tries to advertise and buy tools and realizes his 50 dollar hair salon 10 bucks more than the homeless guy is cheap and goes out of business I’m gonna run into him someday and go remember them low prices ya businesses isn’t all profit, should have listened huh.

1 Like