Using a ladder on a sloped roof safely

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I just put in a bid to do the window cleaning on 62 condos. If I get it, the only way I can get to some of the windows is to take a ladder up to the first floor sloped roof, and then climb that ladder to get to the windows. The problem is that the roof the ladder will be on is slightly sloped. It is not steep, but I’m not completely sure the ladder would not slip. I tried putting the ladder up and going up a few rungs to see if it was stable. It seemed to be fine, but you never know what can happen.

Have you guys ever had a situation like this? Do you know any tricks or tips I can use to make sure the ladder won’t slip? I have the pivot tool, and I could put that at the base of the ladder, but I’m not sure that would hold it. Anyways, I appreciate any help! :slight_smile:

It happens from time to time, a second guy is key, between holding the ladder and or calling 911. I have been the guy holding the ladder before when the other guy lost his balance, I was the only thing that kept the ladder from falling sideways and he managed to wedge himself against the chimney and ladder and regain his hold to climb down. Also you can rig a safety rope to yourself and somewhere up the roof, you may avoid falling off the roof but could still sustain injury if the ladder slid out, tying the ladder to the roof is probably not a good idea, it could still slide enough to throw you off. Please use atleast a type II ladder with real feet and spring loaded rung locks, a cheapy ladder with hook rung holders and flimsy feet may be light but will spell disaster.

I’ve used a Rojak Ladder Stopper safely on a composite roof.

Is pure water and a WFP an option for you?

I could use a WFP, except that I need to take the screens out first. It would be wonderful if I could take the screens out from the inside, and then WFP the outsides, but I’m going to have to take the screens out from the outside as the home owners will not be home, and then clean them. I’ll look into that Rojak Ladder Stopper. I haven’t heard of it before.

Chris or Alex: Is this in the WCR Store?

We also use the Rojak ladder stopper, I often still have someone stand on the back of it, just for safety sake. But it can often save your butt on hardwood floors also, so it would be a good addition to your arsenal.

Could you mop and squeegee it from the roof using an extension pole? Personally I’m not a fan of using a ladder on a roof. But I’m a lone wolf.

Sorry. Just realized that the advice is a few years to late. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes