Using thumbtack

I just started using thumbtack today and already got 9 leads, in one day!!!

Problem is I didn’t close a one!!!

I feel confident in how I’m presenting the bid to the customer, very friendly and fair in pricing (at least I think) but omg am I supposed to charge less for more? 20+panes of glass, 3 story w/screens for $199…exterior…is that too much?

Here is what it takes to become a qualified Window Cleaner on Thumbtack:

Well, I guess you need an email address, so that’s something. My experience with it so far is, lots of leads without enough information to give any sort of accurate estimate, and lots of low ballers. Some folks have had some great success with it though, and all it takes is one good job that can lead to referrals and visibility to neighbors. Plus the leads are cheap when compared to some of the other lead providers out there (Home Advisor, etc…).

1 Like

I tried lowballing the last lead I got, $125 for a resi, two story, exterior interior with screens and tracks…they checked out my quote but nothing yet…how low do ya have to go? Lol

1 Like

I’m fine with not landing every job, I know how the games played. I’m surprised there are that many guys in my area using thumbtack. Just making sure it wasn’t just me making a mistake but hey, gotta make them to grow😄

2 Likes

I use it. I respond to everything and don’t worry about the ones that don’t respond or ones I lose to other companies. To many people get down because they’re tracking success rate based on the number of leads vs number of jobs. Instead give it some and just track overall ROI. Good Luck!

3 Likes

I could go on and on about Thumbtack but I’ll tell you one recent experience. Last week a request came in for an office downtown. We submitted a quote indicating “Not enough info” and explained that bidding a job is difficult without seeing it first. The person followed up with us (miracle of miracles) and we went by to count the amount of doors needing to be cleaned (78 with 5 panes, three of them with grooves)) plus a few other windows around the office. Our quote fell right down the middle of what she’d been quoted already. Guess who got the job? We did, only after she reached out to us today wondering why she never got the proposal we promised to send (I goofed up the email :open_mouth:)

We re-submitted the proposal with the correct email and she hired us after that. Nearly screwed that one up over a typo. Don’t bid too low, please don’t bid too low. Save that for the Bobs. Stick to your price or simply indicate not enough info (which is true 99.99% of the time on that site) and the ones who REALLY care to follow up WILL. Next week we’re finally doing a job we quoted at $430 over a month ago after initially quoting it for $395. Again, got that one after she reached out to us and inviting us to swing by to give her an accurate quote. Thumbtack saved us in February and got us through March but believe you me that with our first EDDM going out soon and other avenues of advertising that’s getting us steady work without the hassle of 5 other people fighting for the same job, I plan to use that site less and less as we get ourselves more established.

4 Likes

Really? The average here in Michigan goes from around 175-199

At least in my area

I have been on thumbtack for 2 years… I have submitted bids here and there. I have only landed one bid and it was for a commercial contract on cleaning parking garages… now if I told you that amount of money I made off it you we think Thumbtack was amazing… but as far residential goes… I havnt landed one. I think there are a lot of price shoppers on there.

1 Like

Yes true, I think people are using thumbtack thinking, it’s not as big as home advisor so there’s gotta be some cheap labor there.

I have spent $35 on thumbtack credits and have gotten two actual replies with one $40 storefront. I’m gonna use that $40 to buy some additional credits, and if that doesn’t generate anything, I’m retiring from thumbtack. There are just better ways to do it. This morning I stopped at a vacant store to practice fanning with my 24" squeegee and a woman stopped and asked me to come give her an estimate on her home. It’s all about visibility.

Well I stand corrected…thumbtack does work, I just closed a deal I gave this morning. Gave a quote for $119…just left there and it ended up going from $119 to $289!!! I’m sold!!! Lol

Only takes one!

1 Like

Happy to hear you finally closed a deal through them.
I hear some folk like it some dont…so time will tell if it will work out long term for you.
Good luck…make sure you ask for referrals from every client!

1 Like

Without many reviews it took a long while to start to get actual hires. Starting out at probably 1/10. But the clients I HAVE gotten more than make up for the money and time I spent. Also feel free to be picky since you can choose to pass on clients for free…use it. I don’t think I’ve yet spent $100 with the company but have probably made 10x that from the resulting jobs and referrals. I honestly don’t get a lot of jobs, but I do make more than enough money from it to say it is well worth it.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

So I’ve gotten 4 jobs in 2 weeks from thumbtack…