Wagtail Jetstream - how much water flow do you need?

Has anyone used the Wagtail Jetstream yet? In his video Willie says: "it is blasting, it is almost like a pressure hose, these jets hit the window hard…"
In view of some of the flow problems some Wash-It Pro users have had, needing to reduce from 4 jets to 2 to get enough flow (when using RO/DI), I wonder how a system like the Jetstream would work with ‘between 10 and 24 jets depending on what size you buy’. Does anyone know how much psi the Jetstream requires in order to operate efficiently? Is this a tool that would absolutely require a pump in order to run it? Is there any way a Wash-It Pro user could use it running RODI without a pump?
Do you have any input, Mark? I watched your video report on your test drive of the Jetstream. What sort of psi were you using? Did you use a pump?
Thanks for the help, guys.

I can clearly see the benefit and time savings on large commercial glass that is maintained once a month, but only up 20’ or so. I don’t ever see myself using this on anything else. How can you scrub and clean the frames and rinse properly? Twice per year cleanings need a thorough scrub not just a once over. What about the top frame dripping after you’ve drenched it with all those jets?

Working with my mobile units I am extremely concerned about how much volume is flowing. At the point where you’re hauling your supply to the job, water is money, unless you’re plugged into a water supply. In that case I see the sense of this product.

Joshua Adriance
Pure Water Window Cleaning
www.pwwc.ca

Hmm, I bet this is going to be a tough one to answer, as I think that few WFP users actually know what flow rate they’re getting. One way to measure your flow rate is to set your brush or JetStream into a bucket and let it flow for exactly one minute, then measure the contents of the bucket. I have done this in the past, and I have gotten around .5 GPM.
[MENTION=67]Beautiful View[/MENTION] may have some insights.

I don’t have any personal experience with the JetStream, but it appears that the streams coming out of the flow head are much smaller than a typical pencil jet. My guess would be that it might consume the same amount as running 2 medium orifice jets. So hopefully .5 GPM would be adequate.

As far as flow issues with the Wash-iT, there are a few trick to get a little better flow, such as larger diameter hoses, and shorter lengths of hose. [MENTION=378]Perry Tait[/MENTION] probably has a few more tips on this.

And to address the whole flow vs. efficiency concept, I used to be of the mind that less flow was better, my water would last longer and I could complete more work before needing to refill my tank. I have found the exact opposite to be true in most cases. Better flow means much faster rinses, and less water consumption. It also means I am able to complete more work in the day, as I’m not standing there all day rinsing. So even if this JetStream does turn out to require a higher than average GPM, I think it will end up being much more efficient (time and water-wise) in the specific areas it is suited for.

1 Like

When I tested the Jetstream I was using my Hudson backpack pack and I believe it pushes out at around 40 PSI or so. Flow was sufficient at 2 stories. The holes are pretty small on the rinse bar which gives it a good spray forward. My order of jet streams are do to arrive in a week or so so I can’t comment on the final release version yet.

1 Like

I’ve been using the prototype for around a month now and there is not doubt that the 10 1-1.5mm holes giving an almost fan like parallel rinse uses far less water than 4x 2mm jets or 2x 3mm jets. Every time I change from brush to Jetstream I have to almost turn the water off just so that the stream is controlled. As for water dripping down from top frames, by pivoting and using the ends of the pad to wipe you negate that issue. I really like it and it has become an essential part of my workflow but does not replace my brushes. Wonderful maintenance tool though and OK on most frames (not all, but most).

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Your input is much appreciated. From what Alex (Lacey) was saying, it seems as though I should be more concerned about flow (gpm) rather than pressure (psi). I guess psi is just easier to measure.
evgilliand, your thoughts on size and number of jets were interesting. I will do some experimenting and see what I can come up with.
I was also wondering if any of you guys have tried using the Jetstream in conjunction with a water flow controller, such as the Aquadapter or the AquaTap. I guess the Aquadapter would be better suited in view of the amount of twisting involved in the Jetstream technique???

I used my jetstream the other day on super hydrophobic glass and it worked Awesome! Then a buddy borrowed it for 1/2 day for hydrophobic glass & like it so much he bought one. I’m a fan!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Ya my shop windows are quite hydrophobic and it works a treat!

Ya, works a treat!

I’ve had the jetstream for about 3 months now. I would never use it on a residential first clean, or maintenance clean. Although it scrubs the glass great, the precision of the rinse is similar to a fan jet. Not as bad, but if I want precision rinsing, I will be using pencil jets any day. I use a Di only, so no worries for pressure for me. For big commercial jobs, it is ace. I use it when attention to detail and frame scrubbing are not that important. Just me though.

My pump is 65 psi & around .5gpm. The sureflo from WCR.

Just use the jetstream with your normal flow you would use on a wfp brush, probably a little less. The jets are smaller, so there is more direct spray from each individual spray. What you don’t want is a haze of water that hangs in the air like steam - this will fowl the window especially near the top frame bringing down more dirt.

I’ve got a Jetstream and I use it off my trolley system,the flow is fantastic

I realize this is an older thread, so sorry for bringing it up if nobody cares about the Jetstream, but I am really frustrated with mine. I will say first that the concept is brilliant and not having to go back to rinse does save time, especially when cleaning second story or higher windows it also saves your body wear and tear for not having to pull the WFP back and hold it away from the glass to rinse. However, since I got mine 4-6 months ago it’s never sprayed out of all the holes and the holes in the waterbar tend to shoot all different directions. I think I’m going to have to take an awl and open the holes up a tinier bit more. The other issue I don’t love is that the blue washpad on it gets dirty and I have to rinse it off between jobs quite regularly or else it fouls up some windows after a while. Has anybody else found these same problems or is it just me?

Be careful about opening up the holes although I can run up to 12 at 1-1.5mm fine. The problem with the bar now (and it has always been so ) is that it is made of a softer plastic and the holes distort and end up having shavings from the drill distorting the flow. I improved it by replacing the bar with a much harder plastic Still a pain to get the holes in a precise line but a real improvement over the original. As far as pad goes…yes it can certainly get dirty on initial cleans (and I now don’t use it for them) but on maintenance cleans as long as you’ve got good even flow the water tends to wash through the pad and soiling although a little unsightly doesn’t present a problem. At the end of the day I put it on the ground and hose the heck out of it.

When WCR starts selling more Constructor Brush stuff like Rinse Bars, you can modify your Wagtail by removing the Rinse Bar and replacing it with Constructor Brush Rinse Bar. Check out the pics. Notice the strong even stream each jet produces. No more one one stream one way the other stream another. One stream weak one stream strong. You can add as many jets as you want. But having said all that i still LOVE my Constructor Brush the best. You can configure so many different type of brushes. You gotta get one! I still use my Wagtail however. Because the jets seem to get just a bit closer to the glass i find it works a bit better on EXTREME Hydrophobic glass.

[MENTION=2261]yourwindowsclean[/MENTION]
Excellent idea George. That will cure me grinding my teeth every time I use the Wagtail for sure. well done sir.

Yeah, the inconsistency of the holes is killing me. I think I’ll have to try that and use some of my hard aquadapter hose to replace the current waterbar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here’s my one George. This is the way the damn things should have been manufactured anyway. Cut down disc gives perfect pivot control and the jets are lined up and give an almost perfect laminar flow…

2 Likes

Yeah! It turns a good tool into a GREAT tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource