Wagtail (optimum size for poling storefronts)

2 Likes

So the 14" is kinda to big to fan the transoms over storefront doors with ease?

Over doors I cut in at the top and do 3 straight pulls, it saves time for me because when Iā€™m using the excelerator I donā€™t have to switch tools so the 3 pulls plus scrubbing is pretty quick.

how many squeegees do you use when you do storefronts, just the one 14" excelorator?

switch tools?

PS
I bet Youā€™re cleaning the top half of ALL the windows including the transom with the excelorator, right?

Thatā€™s what I do with my traditional Ettore brass 12" squeegee. Why have an excelerator if ya canā€™t fan the transoms?

I think I could fan a storefront doorway transom with a 12" wagtail

So it looks like standard squeegee/mop for storefronts is 18", whereas with a wagtail since you donā€™t have to switch back and forth then 14" works well enough

Maybe. I use a traditional 12" and an 18" on storefronts and he keeps saying 14" is halfway between. :grinning:

Iā€™ve found my go-to storefront tools to beā€¦

18" swivel mop
16" liquidator (I donā€™t like 18" squeegees, call me crazy but for me a 16" just helps me move more efficiently)
22" wide body channel on a swivel ledge handle
14" excelerator (scrubber/squeegee combo always)
3" sill squeegee
8ā€™ ettore extension pole (I prefer this for excelerator)
8ā€™ 3 section garelick pole, wooden cone tip
(This is easier to swap tools on/off for me)
12ā€™ extension pole
(barely ever need to use this, but I keep one in the truck)
Scrim (detail work only)
Huck towels (wipe up interior messes)

I have an over abundance of different squeegees/tools that I keep in my truck. But as far as what I can do almost all of my storefront work with these are my personal favorites.

2 Likes

[/quote]

Thatā€™s what I do with my traditional Ettore brass 12" squeegee. Why have an excelerator if ya canā€™t fan the transoms?

I think I could fan a storefront doorway transom with a 12" wagtail
[/quote]

It is possible to fan the windows above doors, however I save time just hitting the 3 pulls after scrubbing with the attached scrub pad. I donā€™t have to swap tools on my pole to hit either upper parts of glass I canā€™t get by hand (with the excelerator) or the transoms above glass. The 14" can cover a good amount of glass in a short time because Iā€™m not swapping tools.

Iā€™ve probably shaved an average of 3-5 minutes from some of my stores when I added the wagtail/excelerator to my tool belt and once I knew when and how to use it most efficiently

1 Like

Me too!!! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Yes. Also the 14" Wag is easier to control by a small margin, fits in more windows, and the 18" Wag doesnā€™t save much time over the 14" since most pole fanning passes are pretty shallow anyway and the extra channel length doesnā€™t get fully utilized.

1 Like

I keep an 18" scrubber and a 14" Wagtail on separate poles on most of my jobs. Wagtail is for cutting in the tops and enough swipes to be easily reachable than switch to 18" Sorbo in my boab to finish it out.

2 Likes

I use a 14" Wagtail on my storefronts

3 Likes

You carry the 18" strip washer in the BOAB. Where do you keep the wagtail?

I carry mine in my bucket,I no longer use a BOAB

2 Likes

Window cleaning pole techniques playlist

1 Like

That video may be the most important video Iā€™ve seen about window cleaning because my poling technique is WRONG and itā€™s the reason my shoulders are in pain. If I follow your recommendations Iā€™m confident that the pain will go away. Thanks Herman

@HE_MAN

1 Like

I use both the Wagtail and the Excelerator. Both tools work well when you have to feather water to to top of the glass. Iā€™ve found both to be tricky closing out on U.S. standard storefront aluminum sills at height. I use the wag attachment, but thereā€™s a lot going on at that point and may as well just cut in and 7 with a fixed squeegee.

I only use 18" for commercial work with a Wagtail, or Moerman.

The best current tool I use for residential is the 14" (13.5") Liquidator, which I originally used with a fixed handle, but swapped my Excelerator hande to it for the angle changes. Finicky at times, but they hug edges very well. Theyā€™re strangely temperature sensitiveā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying out a wagtail slimline handle with an Ettore 10ā€ brass channel and a moerman flip pad. Just got a 14ā€ set up to take it to the next level.

!

Iā€™ve been using a wagtail for any tall storefront from month 2. I love it, and get a ton of compliments (now) Hey you been doin this a while huh? Never ran into another cleaner that has any experience with them. I donā€™t have a flip pad or anything, but I use a scrubber on a second pole because I donā€™t think the pads can hold enough juice in the summer in Arizona.