Wagtail (optimum size for poling storefronts)

I’ve seen people using 10" up to 22" inches on YouTube cutting in the top half of storefront windows. What’s the best “ALL AROUND SIZE”. I’m thinking of developing a routine with one wagtail squeegee added to my storefront tool belt.

PS
Is 10 inches to small. I do mostly small shop windows. Nothing with big panes of glass up high.

Herman uses more than one size. Looks like 10 inches in this video

We were using 12inch squeegee on that one.

And here using 20inch scrubber/squeegee this has the new swivel movement on the handle.

1 Like

You make it look so easy.

1 Like

My Wagtail has a 12" on it 24/7. If I need a larger squeegee, I go traditional.

2 Likes

Two nice videos! Small and large. What’s the easiest/optimum size preference for you guys?

I roll with a 12" and an 18" squeegee day in and day out so your idea makes sense to me. No pad, right?

Yeah the 12 Wagtail and 18 traditional are my residential gear. No pad.

For small windows, my opinion is that the additional maneuverability you get with the shorter channel outweighs the increased coverage per pass with a longer one. Scalpel vs. machete.

2 Likes

I currently keep a 14" and a 10" in the tool bucket. If I could only have one it would be the 14

1 Like

I have a 10" 14" 18". I’ve only really liked using my 14"

Herman rules…!

2 Likes

Do not usually have the scrubbing pad over the top of the squeegee.
But thought try it with the new swivel movement.
Take note there is no twisting the body to get the squeegee to go where you want it to.
Instead standing straight and just twising the pole to easy.

1 Like

Also it would be beneficial to have a angle adapter on the pole to get the angle that suits you technique when using the pole.:wink:

I only use the 14" for wagtail and excelerator, it’s been a good middle ground where I don’t have to have a lot of the same tools in the truck.

(Yes I know you can switch channel and pad, but i prefer complete squeegees as opposed to swapping 2/3 out depending on the job)

I’ve also have a difficult time with an 18" wagtail for some reason, maybe I didn’t take enough time to perfect it. I can crank work out with the 14" as long as it’s the proper tool for whatever job I am at.

1 Like

Sounds like a lot of people like the 14" wagtail style channel. Not to big not to small.

I’ll probably start with a 10" to go easy on myself and see if I can step it up to a 14" when I get really good at it with the 10" wagtail. I like a small 12" channel when I do residential work the traditional way so who knows what wagtail size will be best for me and my route.

It’s actually easier to learn on the 14, or at least it seems like the perfect size to learn, perfect, and keep as a tool in my truck as a job specific tool.

I have used 10, 12, 14, and 18 channels in the wagtail PC handle, 10 and 12 seemed too small and the 18 just felt too big

I would recomend just getting a 14" excelerator, I stopped using the liquidator and excelerator on any residential work last season. I strictly use those for commercial/storefront now, again another personal preference. My time is much more valuable when I’m doing storefronts, and on residential I am comfortable enough with my prices to take extra time if need be.

1 Like

I should have done a poll, another :+1: for the 14" channel.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the middle ground, I can clean larger transoms, the uppers of large plates of glass, smaller windows over doors (if need be it’s a quick scrub and 3 pulls down over the doors with no tool change necessary.

1 Like