Wagtail squeegee

I got a few questions about these wagtails… I’ve seen videos of people using them and they just look ridiculous to me. HOWEVER! I saw a video of this guy using one on a pole and it struck me as pure genius and perfect for many of my higher storefront windows.
My questions are…

-can a wagtail use rubber other than the wagtail rubber?
-what size do you guys recommend to get? (14" or 16"?)
-what wagtail would work best for stores?
-do I need any special pole attachments or can I put this right on my Unger extension poles and have it work?

This is the video that sold me on the wagtails, pure genius, plus the rag on one side. This eliminates switching from mop to squeegee and then a detail rag… I think constructing something similar is gonna happen. But first I wanna know about the wagtail before I order it.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass
Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Mike,

I just started using wagtail and I love it for pole work.

I use the 18" combi. it fits perfectly on the end of my unger pole.

It has saved me time on my route.
Remember, it’s wrists, wrists, wrists.

Btw, Im in mass too.
Have a good day!

How does the wagtail do as far as scrubbing? I use the ettore porcupine sleeve and the unger ninja sleeve for that added exterior scrubbing power.

Do you ever have issues splashing when you flip the scrubber back and then squeegee the glass?

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass

Have been using them for years. Love them. Still the only company in the entire city that uses these.

However, I only use then for storefront and commercial work. I recommend the 14" w/o pad and the 18" with. Also, spend the extra $$ to replace the handles with the “Pivot Control” (P. C.) handles. The work better.

I recommend sticking with your scrubbers. In my experience, the wagtail scrubbing pads are not suited for moderate to heavily soiled windows, mainly because they don’t hold a lot of water.
Try the squeegee, it’s a good tool, especially for pole work. I haven’t had any luck with the combi. I have my reservations about it that ill keep to myself. However, I think the PC handle with a slimline channel is a very nice tool. I like using a 14" and 18"
Honestly I don’t know what’s going on in Willies head. That guy claims something new and revolutionary every five minutes. In reality its the same tool. I stopped with the PC. Very satisfied with it.

I have used the combi
I kindaagree with jet
I couldn’t get enough water on the winder with it
I now use wagtail pc and a porcupine
( best scrubbing sleeve ever)
I have 1 interior account I now use the combi on
Pax

1. Any standard rubber. The red rubber that comes with the Wagtail is for warmer/summer climates.
  2. 14¨ & 18¨is standard, but you can get them custom up to 30¨.
  3. Probably the biggest as store glass is generally bigger. I have no problem with 18¨.
  4. I’d recommend this for standing further away or nearer the glass - wagtail extension pole angle arm

I just ordered the 14" Combi wagtail squeegee, I have a few weekly stores with smaller awkward shaped windows and straight pulls weren’t doing the trick, too much detailing and switching out tools for the job.

I also think this is gonna help to conserve some time for some interior glass, specifically some half moon windows and tall casements. Hopefully I won’t be lugging my ladders inside now for something I will be able to pole and still get quality results.

Thanks for the input, took a few days but I think the pros outweighed the cons with this one, can’t wait to try it out

My go to squeegee is a wagtail.
I love them all though I don’t use some as much as I thought I would.
Fanning a wag on a pole takes LOTS of practice I have been practicing fanning on a pole on and off for over a year however my solution is set up for straight pulls.
Practicepracticepractice
These are not as durable as a lot of others but the benefits way outweight the cons.
I think of my slimline as a sportscar and my ettorre super system handle like a chevy truck.
Pax

It’s going to take a lot of practice, I just wanted something that will save me some time. Once I get it down I know it’ll save me time on several of my weekly jobs

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass
Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

You are spot on
Using wagtails is a efficient way to clean.
The more efficient you are the faster you get.
Pax

i love my wagy. there is a learning curve. what i did was use it on the same storefront for a few months until I became slightly proficient. Now every time I try my large widebody channels it takes about 2 windows and i switch back to my wagy.

I use a separate scrubber sometime in my BOAB and sometimes on another pole.

Good analogy, Pax lol. I didn’t really like the slimline, felt to flimsy. I like the 16" yellow orbital I have and the Slay-Tail that Dale Fuller made me. I like to switch up what I use because it helps with the repetitive strain issue. Yesterday I was using swivel ledger with a super channel in it to clean recessed windows. And an ettore stainless squeegee for storm windows - fanning it even though I have been anti fanning lately. I think it’s good to switch it up your motions. A wagtail will always be in my arsenal.

These are my main window cleaning tools:

The only thing I don’t like about the yellow orbital is that I can’t collapse it. I can fir every other squeegee in this one milk crate / toolbox container. All my channels on the top, all the handles in the milk crate. If you can see, I zip tied the 22" tool holder to the milk crate.

Yes, those are crocs. After being on your feet all day cleaning windows, you don’t give a crap about wearing your crocs to 7-11 for an ice cream sandwich after work.

Crocs with socks!

Hey crocs are cool plus a simple transition shoe from out to in. Socks are in actually, just not the Argyle type. Think you need to be 60 or something to pull that off.
My wagtail won’t be here until Mon. :frowning: Then let the fun begin. I am curious to see if the pad will assist in keeping glass moist as I work the blade. Solution dries very quickly here and not the expert mop and squeegee at the same time yet. Yes ALL dry quickly even in shaded area. Just dry and windows keep the heat. Center is fine. Just edges because the solution beads away from the edge. Tried a bronze wool on the hydrophobic. Still hydrophobic. Just hard to get a fan going if the stuff dries. I usually have to mop and pull. Hoping when the temp changes it gets a little better and can enjoy using the benefits of the wagtail

I’m hoping mine comes Monday or Tuesday! Can’t wait to see how/if it will make some of my work go a little faster (once I figure out how to use it on the pole)

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass

Just got my wagtail combi, kinda bummed on it… I was hoping that the scrub pad flipped up and would be perfect for some quick pole work, except this scrub pad just hangs down and gets in the way of finishing off the window after I squeegee the glass

Is there any way to flip it? So the scrub pad goes on the top instead of hanging at the bottom just dangling and dripping. Not too excited about this squeegee anymore at all

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass

Played with it a bit. Getting use to it on pole will take some getting use to. Think the pad needs to broke in. Won’t flip too well yet. Just getting the control down. I find shallow turns work well.The pad is cool but one can always take it off . I guess you can try attaching from the top and drape over the front to wipe. You lose area of pad on the glass unless you flip it backwards. I am just going to practice and watch the vids again to make sure I have the technique down. The constant movement flow and easy turns. Luckily I have customers that won’t mind if I stay all day long playing at their windows. Super clean for free.

I’ll be testing mine out on some stores tomorrow, gonna hit em early and get some practice. I’ve been looking up videos how to modify the squeegee and scrubber pad, might make a Frankenstein wagtail of my own soon

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass

Hi guys, try using them with an angle adapter. Makes a big difference. You can also take any standard sleeve and split it, trim to size and have great fun. Holds much more water if that’s what you like.