Washing residential with screens/ second story

I just recently got Into window cleaning to make some extra money this summer. So far I’ve only done some commercial cleanings but I feel like residential is where the real money is at. I’m just very hesitant to do residential for two main reasons: I’m not sure what to do about the screens, I know most of them can be removed from the outside, but what about second story windows, or what if there’s a bush in front of the window so I can’t access the screen, it feels weird to ask the homeowner to let me come into the house to remove all the screens. It also feels rude to ask them to remove all the screens themself. I’m also worried about cleaning second story windows. I have a 20 foot pole but what about scrubbing and detailing and other steps I can’t do with my pole. Im just not confident in my skills and need some tips.

Congrats on the new venture.

You are correct residential is where the $$ is at. Plus, they usually pay same day.

For residential, you have to be comfortable with a ladder & be willing to do the insides. ( You would most often take the screens of yourself from the inside ) Customers will expect it.

Since you are new you should check out our free resources section here: Free Resources | WCR – WindowCleaner.com

Lots of free things to help.

Good Luck!

You will be going inside peoples homes regularly so I wouldn’t be nervous about any of that. If a screen is inaccessible to remove then just let the customer know and move on to the next. I was able to accomplish most tasks my first season with a 20’ pole and a 19’ little giant + a 20’ extension ladder…slowly upgrading and adding more gear along the way.

You will run into a few styles of screens. I’m always happy when they are the ones that just pop off form the outside…you may run into others in casement windows where you may not be able to remove the screens (sometimes they installed shudders after the windows are installed and don’t give you enough clearance to even safely remove the screens)

90% of the screens are removable from the outside. I think 100% can be removed from the inside.

Edit: yeah, except where they’ve installed shutters or blinds on the inside which prevent the removal of screens.

Get used to being in the bush and if it’s english holly, get used to hating english holly.

Most of the time you can pull the screens inside the house and you will more than likely be able to clean the outside of the window from inside the house.

Sliders: slide the window as far as it’ll go and lift it up, pull it inside, set it on a towel, and clean it.

Double hung:
Option A: pull the metal tabs out at the top of the window frame, lift the window up into those tabs and pull the window out, set it on a towel, etc.

Option B: lift the window up a little bit, push in the plastic tabs at the top of the window itself, and tilt the window in and clean.

My suggestion: don’t clean the outside only of a house unless it’s a repeat customer. Most of the time the insides are filthy and when you clean the outside, they’ll say you did a bad job.

1 Like

Yup or blinds. Usually in this case I tell them I can clean the inside windows if they unscrew the blinds or I can skip them and adjust the price.

Sometimes there’s storm windows like this. I’m there to clean not unscrew stuff.

Very helpful thank you! I guess getting used to being in the bushes makes sense but I also feel bad about stepping in peoples bushes or gardens

Get some shoe covers. It shows the owner that you care for their house but if they have a bunch of dogs, or it’s muddy, the shoe covers come in handy.

If you can’t get the screen out of Casments. You can crank them out, and clean the insides from outside. Do it all the time.

@dsmith05
I never remove screens from the outside. When I’m doing exterior only
It says it in my estimate. All double hung windows that have screens must be removed upon arrival.
We can remove and replace all screens if need be at an additional cost.
If they want me to do it ima coming in.

1 Like