Water Pressure and Hose

If I want to do two story residential and commercial with 300’ hose at 1/4" with no pump just water pressure coming out of the faucet, will that give me enough water pressure? And will it give me at least 1/2 gpm?

What Happens if I need to have lets say 600’ of hose, I assume that commercial buildings have more water pressure?

You should have no problem. I use 1/4 hose and have wfp from 100psi pump up to 400 ft

I agree with John, no problemo mang.

If you use 600’ of hose you’re crazy…you are gonna be so ****ed off rolling that hose every day! Besides…supposedly you lose 1 psi per foot of hose.
I have seen that many times before-but dont seem to make much sense because on a 300’ hose you lose 300 psi? Naaaa. But at 600’ youre gonna get next to nothing comming out of that hose without a pump. 300 is fine and will get most jobs done without a problem.

Why not try it on your own house? Extend your pole and see what happens. My commercial jobs always seem to have almost double the psi then a res job. But be careful, I hooked up my PSI meter to one commercial job and it broke the meter. The meter was rated for 100psi which I thought at the time I would never see higher then that. But I was wrong. My machine gauges said the PSI was 180. I’ll tell you this, it was interesting to see the hose stiffen up when I turned on the water.

We use 250’ of pure water hose and have never had insufficient flow, even 45’ high on the tucker. Residential or commercial…

Tap pressure will go through 600’ of hose no problem. I’ve run 2 reels (100mtrs each) from a small 12v 100psi pump and up a 50’ pole with no noticeable loss of pressure.

Why do you need 1/2gpm?

1 litre per minute should be sufficient for WFP,… too much can actually be counter productive,… splashing water where you dont want it and causing runs.

We use a higher GPM because we aren’t cleaning the windows as frequently as you blokes across the pond.:smiley:

I have never done WFP before, I saw that someone on here had mentioned 1/2 gpm. What is a good gpm to shoot for? Can it be lower then 1/2?

As for the 600’ feet I have this large estate that I will be cleaning soon. It’s 12,000 square feet. So I just want to make sure I have enough hose. Although maybe 300’ will do, I really don’t know.

Also do you have to have a water pressure meter, do you just hook it on to the hose as a permanent attachment?

Higher flow rate helps a little, but for infrequent cleans a heated system works wonders.

I’ve a propane powered on demand water heater ( $150 odd off ebay) and it makes a HUGE difference on the really dirty jobs.

If you lose 1psi for every foot of hose then at the end of 100’ you would have no psi if you are only allowing 45 psi into the DI tank?

Aren’t you supposed to only allow 45 psi into the DI tank so that your don’t burn through your DI?

Also how much water per minute should be coming out of the WFP so that you don’t waste your DI but can clean well, njones says 1 litre, how do you regulate it so that you can determine that rate of flow?

You don’t loose 1psi per foot,… that’s just crazy talk! The longer the hose run the more resistance/back pressure there is, but 600’ or more is easily achievable with 100psi of pressure. The real place where PSI is important is height. A 40psi pressure will push water up a 45’ pole, but not much higher. For work above 45’ a 60psi minimum pump is a good idea.

Most DI tanks in Europe are rated to 150PSI or more, and I assume they all come from the same factory in China, so nothing to worry about there.

Flow rate should be between 1 and 2 litres per minute,… any more is wasting water unless its a really dirty job or you’re cleaning cladding. Even on the really dirty jobs you get to a point where more water doesn’t make the job easier or quicker. Hot water is the way forward for that kind of work. For guys using DI only reducing water usage can save a lot of money and is much more environmentally friendly too.

Flow rate through the DI tank depends on the size of the vessel. The bigger the vessel, the higher the flow rate that is achievable without the output TDS rising. An 11 litre vessel will cope with 1gpm easy,… but the bigger the better,…

So what do you use to regulate the the water output so that you only have 1 litre coming out? Just a on/off value?

A motor speed controller (another advantage of using 12v electric pumps over gas ones) that allows complete control over the pump speed and pressure cutoff point. here’s a cheap (NOT WATERPROOF) one of ebay, but Reach Higher Ground do a proper varistream for $230 odd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-30A-360W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller_W0QQitemZ160340911855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25551026ef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50