WCR Nation - Episode 6 – Don't be a Bob

Look I know there are guys out there doing windows for crack money and their not interested in becoming even remotely successful in this industry as a business man (I once picked up an “experienced” window cleaner for a days work with me years ago and when I stopped by to pick him up he was high as a kite), but I would say that doesn’t define anyone that I have run across on the forum or Facebook groups and that includes Benjamin.

Guys like Benjamin might not do things the “industry standard” way but that doesn’t make him a bucket Bob and to call him one to me is irresponsible. He and guys like him are taking the approach they know how and getting the job done. Who is anyone else to insult their efforts because it’s not up to your standards. As long as the customer is happy with the job and the price then he is doing right. Their are some people who have had things difficult in their life and it has developed stubborness in them (which all of us have or we wouldn’t be in this industry). They tend to take advice as disrespect and an insult, as if you are telling them you are better then them. They tend to do things their own way because it gives them a sense of pride that they felt they were never allowed to have. That doesn’t make them a bucket Bob. We all need to be more careful before we assume we understand where anyone is coming from.

I once stumbled upon a guy doing route work about ten years ago. I wasn’t working that day myself. The guy was just in street close with a simple bucket and squeegee. I went over to talk to him and show him some moves and to “help him out” a little. His squeegee blade looked like the original blade that came with the brass squeegee when it was purchased ten years prior (no joke). It left so many trails on the glass it was a wonderful how it removed any water at all. He was doing straight pulls and the whole job, which should have taken 20 minutes tops was taking him forever.

I introduced myself and showed him how he was doing it all wrong. When I went to fan the glass it just left a million streaks because the blade was worthless. Realizing it was going to be pointless to show him my “moves” I took I good long hard look at him and listened. It was clear he was working hard and doing it how he knew to do it. Me showing him my “moves” would just make it more confusing for him. The manager came out and told him what a great job he did and was excited. He told him if he can make it look like this everytime he had a regular job. I got the impression the manager felt I was being demeaning to him and needed to mind my own business. I talked with the guy for a little and went my way. I walked off feeling a little humbled. Not because I didn’t have anything to share with him but more for assuming what he had to offer was of no value because it wasn’t the way I did it.

I have had all kinds of guys work for me. I had a guy who lived in a camper and looked like a bum who had washed window for years work for me. I would only let him work outside the house. I had a guy show up to work with me with his 12 year old daughter (as his helper) to work for the day. I did a job with a guy (his job) and after doing the outside of the house he went inside with a spray bottle and a rag a quickly spray each window and gave it a single wipe (wasn’t even close to clean) and was done with the whole inside in 20 minutes! I was embarrassed and it wasn’t my customer. Funny thing though, he had more work than me and I was picking up work from him! I’ve had ex cons who were some of the best employees I’ve ever had. I’ve met all kinds of people working in this industry. I have worked for all kinds and had all kinds work for me. I’ve always tried to listen and understand where they are coming from and learn something from them and give something back.

That said I understand what Josh is trying to say in the video. I just think he stepped out of bounds a little. I personally would advise a different approach if he is trying to gain others respect. I had someone recently give me a lecture on using “pressure” to wash a house. Give me a break. I have been pressure washing houses for 20 years and making customers happy. Just because soft washing is the “new big thing” in House washing doesn’t make those of us who still use a pressure washer to house wash a bucket Bob. There are different approaches and we all take the approach that we feel most comfortable with. Hopefully we all learn and grow and if we don’t well that doesn’t make them a bucket Bob, it just makes them a little more stubborn and somewhat irritating to the rest of us.

I’m not trying to dis Josh or his video as I agree with the angle of the message. I just want to encourage us to recognize their is still value in those people who tend to be a little more difficult. Let’s face it, our industry is was kind of built in those type of people. There’s a reason for the saying “I don’t do windows”. At the end of the day where we have 5 crews or do a route on a site board we are all still just window washers. When someone asks you what you do for a living tell them your a window cleaner and watch their reaction. Then tell the next person who asks that you own a window cleaning business. You will typically get the same reaction. Because to them you still clean up windows. As a matter of fact you will probably get a worse reaction from the later because what they hear you saying is that I’m too insecure to say I just wash windows.

4 Likes

I have to completely disagree. Anyone who thinks their personal challenges don’t effect the way they run their business doesn’t have any real personal challenges. Some people are in a tight spot in personally and need every dollar coming in just to cover their bills and often that’s not even enough.

When your in that situation it’s very difficult to take risks on marketing, raising prices, and Tying up money on expensive equipment that only pays for itself over the long term when you have plenty of work coming in.

Heavy personal challenges absolutely effects the way you run your business.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Nobody just arrives in this business. It takes years of learning , An hard work . You have to go through the trials and tribulations of owning a buisness with success’, An failures . To get to a point where you could be able to start investing more into your business is a good thing , An to look down upon someone who hasn’t arrived yet who is where you once where is just plain foolish.
I don’t think anyone here is doing that !!

2 Likes

In order to call someone a “Bucket Bob”, we should clearly define what it is.

I would clearly define a Bob as follows:
No insurance.
No business license.
No business checking.
No accounting program or accountant.

ANY business will have the first three, without question. It’s part of having a business. It’s what makes you legitimate. Anything beyond that, just is part of your success or failure as a business. Too many people get hung up on pricing (no matter the industry) and it always turns into a phallic measuring contest. Many successful businesses have been made, by being the “cheapest” of whatever they offer. That’s because people are fickle, and there is a market for every type of person. Who we market to is the “type” we are choosing to work with.

If you are the type that does not have those first three, then I would say you are a DETRIMENT to any industry. You put yourself at risk, your clients, and give people who did things the RIGHT way, a bad name. I don’t care what the excuse is, it will never be good enough for me to think you are “doing your best”.

2 Likes

I totally agree, if your not willing to operate as a business you are certainly a shady character and the term fits.

I haven’t watched the video and just going off the term “bob” here.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well when you have a second give it a listen and let us know your thoughts. But I think you are spot on. We all start as a Bob. But those who succeed, change.

Wait… Is that a Miller Lite I see in his hand? He’s standing there drinkin a beer? Lol

I think you should clearly define what makes a person a “bucket Bob”. Because I think you define it as something different that others do.

I think most will agree a bucket Bob is an illegitimate business. That being one without a licenses, insurance, and operating under the table/radar.

Some one with no experience, isn’t a bucket bob. Someone who is priced cheaper, isn’t automatically a Bob.

There is a larger company that comes into my service area. Low quality work, and cheaper prices. They aren’t Bob’s, they just offer crap services and have a different business plan then I do.

1 Like

If I was about to talk about bucket Bob’s For a half hour I would need a drink too LOL.

I agree that it’s important to define the term bucket Bob because that also sets the perimeters as to how the term should be used. Unfortunately I think the term is too often used as an insult. The problem with that is that when you have loose terms surrounding the definition then you insult some people who are very well meaning and determined individuals. I would also disagree, based on n my definition of a bucket bob, that we were all started as bucket bobs.

I would define a bucket bob as someone who has no intention of growing and regularly servicing a custom base, but rather they are just out to make money when they feel they need a few bucks for something ie beer money, pay a ticket, etc. They show up randomly and throw out super cheap pricing to get a quick buck. They have no intention of winning the customer for the long term, rather they just need money now. For them maintaining a pricing standard that is lingering term sustainable doesn’t even matter because they aren’t in it for the long term. As long as they can make a quick buck when they want to show up that’s perfectly fine to them. They often leave a trail of customers who haven’t seen them in a while and then they suddenly show up after coming off of a bender.

I would not confuse that guy with the guys out there who are just getting started who ARE in it for the long term but are trying to grow quickely and need some cash flow to help sustain and grow things for the long haul. These guys tend to compete based on price as they lack experience and haven’t developed a brand (specified benefits to the customer that sets then apart allowed ng them to compete on something other than price). I would say it’s not fair to label guys like this as a bucket bob. They are not the same caliber as the former description and deserve more credit. They are working hard and doing what they know to do to hopefully build a business for themselves and provide for their future. I would say this is the category most of us started out in. To label these guys as a bucket bob when the term is often used as an insult I would say is in error.

For me the confusion with the video is that it mixes the two together. In my opinion you can’t use any real criteria to categorize someone as a bucket bob other than intent. You can’t say a bucket Bob is someone who doesn’t have uniforms or doesn’t have a marked vehicle etc. because that is the beauty of this industry. It’s a business that you can start with nothing. When I first started I didn’t even have a vehicle or any equipment or a dime to my name. I was in school at the time and every dime was spent on tuition and one meal a day. The first job I did was a hardware store and I cleaned their windows with the equipment off of the shelf in the store for the price of keeps ng the equipment. I wasn’t a bucket bob! I was a business man launching my business with nothing in my pocket. I was in it for the long haul and 20 years later I have had many ups and downs but I got married, bought a house and had 5 kids 3 of which are in private school all with my business. Since I started my business I haven’t done anything else but clean windows.

I don’t have an issue with guys who are just starting out who are competing on price. If I have an established brand then they shouldn’t effect me. Why should I complain about them? They are no threat to me. Neither are bucket Bob’s! A guy with a five o’clock shadow who shows up randomly with a brass squeegee that the blade hasn’t been changed in a year is a threat to me? If he is then I’m doing something seriously wrong.

That said I get the point of the video which is to developed your business strategy and mature your business. Don’t start immature in your approach. Learn how to developed your business and learn to be more effective in all areas of your business. There again though some guys want to keep things simple and that doesn’t make them a bucket bob. If they are seeking to grow and or maintain a customer base long term then they are not a bucket bob. They have skin in the game and deserve credit even if they don’t approach them r business the same way you do. We all have different personalities and approaches and different types of people appeal to different customers.

Rant over.

3 Likes