WFP hose color in colder climates

We work in a colder climate, where often at the beginning and end of the year we run into near freezing temps at the beginning and end of the day.
Has anyone seen a difference in freezing temps using a dark WFP hose verses light colored?

Wondering if black hose would absorb more heat from the sun and increase viable WFP opportunities?

If you can count on direct sunlight, then maybe. But you’ll get more mileage out a propane camping water heater.

Pick a hose that stays flexible at colder temps, like FlexZilla. And use polyurethane tubing for the pole hose.

2 Likes

Hose color? I don’t have a large variety of color but I have not noticed a difference with colors. I have noticed a difference with hose types. For example, Tucker hose does not like cold temperatures as much as Xero hoses. Of course, as mentioned above, when you have warm water, none of this matters.

1 Like

Does Flexzilla make a 8 mm hose?

I’m not sure. Here in the US market, they sell 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, and 3/4”. (Inside diameters).

10mm would be equivalent to 5/16”, smack dab between 1/4 & 3/8.

i am in canada. coloured won’t do anything for you. if it’s cold enough to freeze in the hose it will usually freze on the glass you need to have warm water and be prepared to replace some cracked panes.

1 Like

Yes. Learned this lesson to the tune of ~$1800 last fall. Guess I had that knob on the heater turned up just a bit too high for a cold autumn day, and put a crack in a custom triangular window way up high. Glass company had to set up scaffolding and tear apart the trim work to do the replacement.

the thing is the water is not causing the crack to start only causing it to extend from the edge of the glass but we take the hit.

1 Like