What exactly is "acid-wash" for windows?

I was oogling over Kurt’s website and came across his biosphere project and there was a part where he was acid washing the exterior.

I imagine this is to breakdown extreme deposits. But what is the chemical? I see them using a pretty high volume hose to spread it - wouldn’t this kill the equipment?

The only other time I’ve heard this was when I was at a supply store and a somewhat crusty guy was starting up his “budget window cleaning company” again and said he just moved up from California where he acid washed every home. That sounds like a pricey and unhealthy add on, especially if it’s with CC550 all day long.

If I’m not mistaken, Curt used EacoChem One Restore (formally Safe Restore) first then washed it and the grime away with water fed poles.

Curt did an amazing job on that project. Did you see the videos?

I thought he used cc550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be mistaken.

I’m pretty sure it was OneRestore.

Yep, One Restore. It says so in the magazine article on his site. My favorite part of the article is where it tells about another company that walked off the job before they contacted Curt. I’d love to know who that was, since Biosphere is here in Tucson where I live and work. Ha ha.

Streakless Windows[INDENT]Yep, One Restore. It says so in the magazine article on his site. My favorite part of the article is where it tells about another company that walked off the job before they contacted Curt. I’d love to know who that was, since Biosphere is here in Tucson where I live and work. Ha ha. [/INDENT]

Well who ever it was they probably have not been on WCR forum.</SPAN>
Other wise they would have the knowledge to do the job.;):D</SPAN>

toilet bowl cleaner with 0000 scrub pad removes hard water great! make sure to rinse off excess acid and then clean the window like normal.

any toilet bowl cleaner?

I use m 95 but its not easy to find

cool. ill check it out. I take it that its pretty easy to use. any warning to look for?

Yes get it on and off as fast as possible and try not to breathe it in.

An acid wash refers to using any type of acid to clean stains on the glass surface that will not come off with a basic soap and squeegee wash or with an abrasive like steel wool, window brush or razor blade. Some guys use acids to wash the glass even when the glass can be cleaned using these methods but it is quicker or easier to use an acid or product that contains an acid along with other detergents and or soaps.

CC550 contains hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Hydrochloric acid is in one restore as well. It also has other ingredients that is deemed proprietary so not sure what that is. Both acids are toxic and can be vary dangerous, more so the Hydrofluoric acid. Here are two links detailing both acids. Specifically read the section on dafety.

Hydrochloric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hydrofluoric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not recommend using either product only because there are safer more effective methods without the risks involved with using these acids so why take the risk.

Dan fields DVD on water spot removal is a great resource for water spot removal. He is a man of excellence and his advice is thorough and solid. He mentions using phosphoric acid to remove magnesium and calcium deposits from glass. phosphoric acid is phosphoric acid is a mineral based non toxic acid that is safe to use with your hands. It is contained in many common products like moisturizers and soft drinks. According to him the only thing that will remove silcate water spots from glass glass is by using hydrofluoric acid or a polishing method. He does not advocate using hydrofluoric acid because of the risk involved and because it can react with the tin in the glass if the tin side of the glass is exposed causing a hazing affect; which would need to be polished out. I have had problems with tin etch haze using both CC550 and One Restore in the past.

Many toilet bowl cleaners contain hydrochloric acid which will remove magnesium and calcium deposits on the glass but will not remove silicate. I have not tried the phosphoric acid yet but am anxious to give it a go. My thinking is to hit it with phosphoric acid first and if that does not remove the spots then it will need to be polished out.

Has anyone else tried Phosphoric acid on water spots? If so what has been your experience?

I like words…and you had a lot of them.

Maybe it’s the wine and late nights! LOL… I’ve yet to use H3PO4, but have recently purchased PPE for CC550. If you don’t know what PPE stands for, then you need it (jnj* :slight_smile: #warnings )

warnings = wear chlorine mask.

toilet bowl cleaner with 0000 scrub bad removes hard water great! make sure to rinse off excess acid and then clean the window like normal.

toilet bowl cleaner with 0000 scrub bad removes hard water great! make sure to rinse off excess acid and then clean the window like normal.