What size ladder for 3 stories?

I currently have a 24’ ladder for 2 stories, a multi ladder for 1 & 1-1/2 stories, and a small 2’ stepladder for the little stuff. I’ve only done a couple 3 story homes (walkout basement w/ 2 stories above). I usually just rent a ladder, but the rental store only has a 40’ and I hate moving that thing around. Would a 32’ ladder be sufficient for 3rd story window cleaning? I found a good deal online, and would like to pick it up for a job next week. Thanks

A 32’ ladder should be enough for most third floor windows. If it is a werner do not get the “black” rated one if you can help it. It is the heavy duty and they are very heavy.

I use a 28’ Werner extension ladder for all residential 3rd story windows when I’m not using WFP.

Get the 32’. You’ll be glad you did.

1 Like

28’ is a stretch for many 3-story homes – go with the 32’. They cost ~$332+tax (250# duty rating) at HD and/or Lowe’s.

I’ve rarely had problems reaching residential 3rd story with the 28’ ladder. I’d hate to have to carry and set up any ladder bigger than a 28’.

If I can’t get it with a 28’ or the WFP it ain’t gonna be done buy me unless a lift is provided. But I’ve never been stumped by any window so far.

I’d recommend a 32ft aluminum. It will reach easily and carrying it won’t be a challenge.

This is reason enough to buy yourself a WFP! There’s good used equipment here on WCR forum for sale (42’ pole) and you could buy a basic RO-DI water purification system from WCR store.

You’ll be able to do alot more with it - I promise!

Thanks for the info guys - 32’ it is…as far as the WFP, I am not really sold on the technology, mainly because it seems all the jobs I get the windows are so nasty. I could see it being a good fit for routine accounts. Thanks

I’d recommend the 32’ also. It will almost always do the trick on 3rd story.
And although they do get pretty heavy, I’d suggest if you can at all handle it, get a type 1A. There’s nothing like feeling real safe when you’re up 26 steps. Nothing below a type 1 for sure.

I agree. When using these longer ladders I usually have a helper. It’s nice to have someone to help carry that much weight, especially around the terrain that most of the houses I clean are built on. It’s also good to have somebody at the bottom holding the ladder.

28ft does the job save your back

Not in the foothills where I live – residential properties slope too much. In addition, the extra length proves valuable in order to safely (use with stabilizer and extend 2-3 feet above the gutter) access third story roofs for gutter cleaning.

32 should do the trick. it will take a little bit to get used to the weight but it will come in super handy for gutter cleaning if dont already do that.

LOL Yeah Tony and he will be buying new underwear after the first time up lol. I saw a guy head up a 40 footer aluminum and then saw it start to flex in the middle. I was at a stop light and pulled over just to see if he would fall.

I here you Ray. I was prepared for the flex so it wasn’t a big deal for me.

I ended up renting the 40’ from the rental store…ughhh again.
Decided I will wait til spring to buy the 32’ - but man do I hate hauling around that 40’. My helper today looked up at the third story and gracefully declined to go up, so I did. Ladders don’t bother me, 12/12 roof pitches bother me.

Good times…

I have a 24 foot Extension. I’m debating on buying a 32 for the 3rd story Resi but wondering if I should put the 300 towards a WFP… Or even with the WFP will I need a 32 sometimes? Also Wondering if I can handle carrying around a green tip 32… Help appreciated! Thanks guys…

Even if you use wfp sometimes you must go back thru time and still use the old trusty ladder for some reason. The wfp won’t work for every situation but covers many.

I’d say get the 32’ unless your not comfortable working it.

1 Like

Honestly I would go with a WFP setup. It’s a great tool to have in the windo cleaning arsenal. This is a great deal right now. Tucker ECO MINI | Water Fed Poles | WCR – WindowCleaner.com
When running my business i had a 32 foot blue tip. Talk about a heavy sucker. Once I got into WFP that ladder stayed of my truck for good. @anon46335951 is right you will potentially still need a bigger ladder. If you go with a 32 foot ladder definitely a green tip.

1 Like