Whats your side hustle? Besides Window Cleaning

Sorry if this topic has been had already but I couldn’t find it.
I am wondering what other projects, jobs, hustles etc. folks are doing and is window cleaning your main gig or side hustle?
I guess if I had to pin point what my current job title is I would say I am a handyman but now trying to build my window cleaning business full time (Just getting started).
Previous to this I was an outdoor guide and a park ranger, I am hoping to start some other hustles more related to these fields later on.

Pressure washing is a fantastic add-on, and synergizes very well with window cleaning.

2 Likes

WIndow cleaning is my main gig. Maybe 50/50 storefront to residential. But I fix and sell motorcycles on the side. That’s really more hobby, but also a nice chunk of extra change over the course of a year.

2 Likes

I have thought of side hustles, but I haven’t been able to think of a side hustle that I would be interested it that would be able to make per hour what window cleaning makes. I do plan on getting into real estate for retirement, but that’s not really a per hour thing. I guess at first it could be considered a side hustle…

1 Like

Real Estate sucks, I tried it for 4 years. Pressure washing is minimum $150/hr, and it is FUN, I love it. There is an investment, and you need to learn.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay @DanTheWindowMan. I have looked at PW, but quite honestly it looks boring to me. I may do it someday, but right now I don’t want to have to open up a new line of business. What was your experience in real estate and why was it so bad if you don’t mind me asking?

Because we use cargo bikes for our business we got into repairing our own bikes and adding motors. Now we have a side business that builds customized electric mini fat bikes. Here’s a shot of my personal ride. I tow a large bike trailers with it.

8 Likes

I started with power washing and added windows as a schedule filler. Other side jobs -

1. Fence Installation
  2. Landscaping
  3. Painting - primarily exterior - way easier than interior which I can do just don’t make as much money for effort.
  4. IT - database admin, Restaurant/retail point of sale systems, cross-platform integrations from POS, reporting, accounting, payroll and more.
  5. Restaurant Consulting - operations, leadership, organizational structure, business development, strategic planning, cost/profit analysis with actionable improvement plans, new site development for site feasibility studies all the way through grand opening.
  6. Restaurant Equipment and Facilities R & M
  7. Flipping products - buy in bulk at auction and retail sell through e-bay, amazon, craigslist, FB Marketplace.
  8. Hauling - either basically large bulk trash removal to transporting items from point A to point B.

I think that is it…

1 Like

Dang, man. When do you sleep?

Ahhh…they’re so cute when they are small. I’d be happy to help you out with something really cool -

My last project - custom bobber I just sold a couple of weeks back. Hated to sell it.

5 Likes

Sick ride!.. A whole nother ballpark :wink: A buddy of mine chops down bikes like that to make bobbers…very cool!

1 Like

Never heard anyone say pressure washing is boring before. Might want to head over to PWRA and see how complex and deep the knowledge base is.

Pressure washing is way more than spraying water, if you want to do it right.

Perhaps by “side-hustle” you mean a hobby (that’s not boring, lol) that you make money at???

Personally, I find pressure washing fun, challenging and interesting. Especially if you like gear and modifications and tweaking and learning chems.

YMMV

3 Likes

Maybe boring was the wrong word, and I may enjoy it, but so far as I have researched it I haven’t been interested. I know it’s alot more complex than window cleaning to start to the point it’s somewhat intimidating. I appreciate you sharing your experience Dan, it does make it sound more interesting.

Starting a hot sauce business this winter

3 Likes

I did restaurant work and, in the latter years, consulting myself.

I miss it sometimes. Then I pop on some Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares and I dont miss it anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right now I have a full-time job and my side hustle is studying and preparing for my future hustles. Which Lord willing is owning a window cleaning company and competing in texas hold’em :pray: :raised_hands: :fire: :candle: :ok:

If I play on the big stage maybe WCR will sponsor me to wear the logo and spread window cleaning love @ChrisTripleC

Very cool. The Tabasco plant is less than an hour from where I live.

I worked at Publix Supermarkets for about 8 years. Great company. Left it and quit to go window cleaning full-time for current employer— There was a stretch a few years ago I was employed window cleaning that I needed a second job so I went back to Publix at night 3 nights a week and Saturday/Sunday (my off days for window cleaning usually, then sometimes I would have to work Saturday morning window cleaning and then head to Publix from 2-10pm or something)-- I think I went 64 days without a day off during those stretches. 60-70 hours a week-- but that was back in 2009 I was a young man around 22-24 at the time-- 34 now and know my limitations.

I quit again after 2 years, but do regret not staying there for the great benefits and stock programs-- if I could do it ALL over and go back to 2006, I would have stayed full-time and then work on the side cleaning windows-- would have all the benefits and would have dumped my window cleaning money into my employee stock— I have many, many friends at Publix who are on their way to millions in stocks and retirement programs after putting in 20-30 years-- 401ks and employee owned stock companies like Publix are second to none imo-- BUT…it’s still the corporate world. And everything in it is no different. Fortune 500 company, but boy I love just working by myself cleaning windows.

1 Like

Also, putting up and taking down Hurricane shutters is great in the summer (My slow time). Of course, you need a storm to come-- but you already have the ladders needed to do pretty much any home.

In Florida, if a storm is coming, you are pretty much done with work. With Dorian, we were pretty much off for 7-10 days-- plenty of time to make some side money…nobody has their windows cleaned with a Cat 5 on the way (I am still relieved, I was in direct path of Dorian had it came ashore-- most likely wouldn’t have a job as the island I work on would have been not able to access due to road destroyed. All you need are gloves, and a good drill (and drill bit!)–

2 Likes

Here’s my latest build from my side hustle that I also use for our bike based business. Using these mini bikes out in our window cleaning business, in turn, advertises them to a broad market and sells them without spending anything on marketing…

13 Likes