When to use

I have no idea what the going rate of scratch removal is but how do you know when it is better or cheaper to replace the glass rather than use the machine to remove the scratch?

Reason I ask is I come across tons of french panes that are scratched. I do some minor glass repair. Mostly french panes that are held in by glazing or wood trim. I charge anywhere from $125 to $200 to repair and only takes me about an hour or less.

You can charge about 2/3 the price of replacement cost. As far as removing scratches from french panes with an SRP machine, you can not get all the way to the edge of the glass because of the shroud. I have used the Surface Wizard. Its made by SRP, its just a way more simple tool.

I know the exact scratches your talking about that often appear on french doors. They are ridiculous. I would be kind of nervous using a Surface Wizard on TONS of scratches. It tires you out holding it steady for a long time. I wouldn’t want it to slip away from me and damage the wood or something. Even if you had the customer sign some sort of damage waver, I would feel like a tool for ruining the trim.

How would the Surface Wizard work for removing hard water stains? We do a lot of stain removal and usually apply by hand. I know the large SRP can remove hard water stains, but I don’t think I’d like to have to set-up the whole machine for just a few windows – I’m just looking for something smaller/easier to use … plus it would be nice if it could be used for minor scratch repair.

The Surface Wizard just removes hard water stains faster than simple hand application. And I agree, I would not want to set up the larger machine either. Plus, with the larger SRP machine, you can not get too close to the edges of the glass so you would have to use the smaller machine or hand application.

Does anyone use a MotorScrubber or similar battery-operated tool?

How much is the Surface Wizard? Do you use it with a slurry to remove scratches? Did you buy it from Dan Fields? Any more info or review on this product would be appreciated.
I’ve tried using a buffer/felt pad that attaches to a drill, but I wasn’t happy with the results.

You don’t use slurry with the surface wizard. There are different compounds you use with interchangeable heads and pads. I bought the SRP machine and Surface Wizard as a package deal from SRP directly. www.srpglassrestoration.com/ Once you buy the machine from them you have the option to go to their factory and be trained on it for a couple of days. I spent two full days of hands on training. The people there are pretty cool and helpful. And I actually used my SRP machine today.

Two words:

Scratch Hog. Awesome for the very type of work mentioned above. messy…but worth the money across the board.

I sold ALL of my srps and now use ONLy the hog. period.

BUT…I am NOT doing the scratch removal I once was. You guys can have all of that stuff you want. The end user still has fab debris…I only saved the current damage.

I will get back into this is the fab debris issue is ever solved.

I’m still looking at options with scratch removal, What machine would be the best to start out with? I really like SRP’s it seems like it can be a do all machine, or do you have to have another machine like the Wizard to go along with your main SRP. Why not buy the Scratch Hog for the one machine does all ? I really need some advise on this, am ready to start learning the systems but not sure what one to purchase. Thanks

I owned and used every type of machine made at the time.

1. 3 SRP’s
  2. 1 Scratch-hog
  3. GT-Glass type hand-held unit

Trust me, it takes all three type machines to cover every type of damage there is.
I worked on “Impact Glass” mostly as it is THE most expensive glass out there…and is everywhere now on our beaches (FL).

You rarely get the entire truth from someone selling you something. Decide what type of damage you want to address BEFORE you buy a machine.

All three types have ups and downs.

Let me add this: I made rude money doing it…but regret every second of it now.

Example: Hand-held units require bookoo practice and make onehelluva mess. They are limited in depth and length. so, if you have a truck load of scratches to remove…these are NOT the tools. But, they are very helpful for damage close to the edges of glass.

SRP’s will remove a scratch in a fraction of the time any other machine will as long as the slurry is cool. BUT…the slurry gets hot rather fast unless YOu design a better way to cool it. SRP’s will also pull a fab debris splinter from the glass and spin it @ 6000 RPM’s and truly mess up a window pane in about 2 seconds. The Scratch Hog will not.

The Hog uses disks that last about 3-5 minutes…cost alot to replace and need tons of practice to master. and it is M-E-S-S-Y

No matter what unit you decide, you WILL distort the glass some. How much turns out to be noticeable is determined by how long/deep the scratch was and the users skill. BUT…deep damage WILL DISTORT even with a master.

THE SRP machines use 6’ of hose(s) and that makes them somewhat difficult to use off of a ladder and a real bitch to use on a rope of lift.

So…try to get a feel for what type of windows/damage you want to address…and we can chat on the phone as long as you want.

Having systems from all of the different makers also allows you referrals from several sources.

The money was great but I regret every second of it now.

Why couldn’t a guy use a simple angle grinder? Sorry, newbie question. But inlooking throught the JReceinstien catalog I can get into the business for about $65.00. Too risky? The method looks pretty straight forward.

Why not just us a Dewalt angle grinder?