Window Cleaning Business Is Dead

Don’t be discouraged, go to this link somebody email me
YouTube - Art Williams JUST DO IT SPEECH motivational and inspirational

I only read the first post and LOL at original poster. You think window cleaning is the only kind of business in this scenerio you described? Sure the economy isn’t as good as 2007, but the sky isn’t falling man. Before 2008 making money was like fishing out of a fish hatchery. Now the hatchery is gone, but there is still plenty of water and fish to be caught. You just have to work harder at it now. Survival of the fittest is the way I look at it.

Again LOL at OP…

Considering I see Enviro in the “Users currently browsing this thread” on this thread, I’d imagine he was looking for either A: a pep talk or B: looking for members to talk him out of dropping out of the biz.

Either way, you got both

Uh, i am not discouraged enviro. If i can do it, get up, get out, and get your ever lovin hustle on. No whinning, no excuses.

Ok, after reading the whole thread now I have a few words for the Original Poster -

Man up and stop listening to the people you’re hearing this nonsense from. If you’re serious about making a window cleaning business work, all the information and help you need is here on the forum. A Large % of people in this world are negative and have bad advice. If you want solid advice on window cleaning, don’t listen to your Family, friends, pastor or most anyone who hasn’t done it. Listen to people who are doing and have done it. A window cleaning forum would be my pick, and this is a pretty good one.

As many have already stated, if you’re friends aren’t going to be supportive, or they effect you negatively, Dump em…

Welcome to the forum

Good points in general. Still, being completely objective and reasonable- Window Cleaning in itself isn’t some sacred vocation that is automatically the right thing for all ‘true adherents’. Can you be totally sure that any friend, family, or spiritual shepherd who questions sticking with WC is wrong and blind? Maybe for enviro it is wrong. I doubt it, but who’s to say.

I would have to agree with Paul on this. I started a window cleaning biz for the first time 6 months ago. Now I am getting at least 2-3 new clients a week. How? I provide outstanding results and listen to others advice… Kevin Dubrosky has helped me develop my marketing and fine tune the business end in a VERY short time. If your business is that down and out you need to market yourself better or move.there’s to much opportunity out there…

I hear you. My point was - try for yourself, don’t put your fate in someone elses hands. I’ve learned this from experience - Quick story…

Back in 1997 I got out of the military to start my own Coffee Bar. Everyone around me including my friends, mother, father, sister and girlfriend told me it would be easier to just work for someone else. My dreams of having a coffee bar would be too difficult to reach. My mother encouraged me to sell the equipment I had purchased in preparation (Sitting temperarily in their garage. Yes that’s where I practiced and made my first mocha :slight_smile: ). My dad brought home numerous job applications. I didn’t listen to them. I kept searching for a good location and finally found a VA Hospital.

Years later after I made it, my parents still had doubt it would work :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Window cleaning may indeed not be for Original Poster. But if he lets the people around him make that decision, failure is certain…

PS: I left the coffee because there’s more $ in window cleaning :wink: - My parents discouraged it too…

Good story… I remember driving in the car with my dad, and he had this whole talk for me planned out about… “getting a real job” – Glad I never listened… Putting on a suit and tie everyday is death to me.

1 Like

Haha. I’ve walked through many office environments where many of the people have this look on their face as if to say, “shoot me now!”

I belive all the positive motivation and marketing ideas but it still doesn’t make sense. Everyday, I see more and more houses in foreclosure. I clean foreclosure houses on the side. Banks and other creditors are tough on not lending, people are not using their credit cards but are paying their debts, bankruptcy is way up. Look guys, business is slow. I think it is time the window cleaning business needs to regroup and come up with something. For example, a marketing strategy for the window cleaning business in this time of recession.

Chris,
How does your father view your status now ?

And…
Mr. Pane / Justin,
How do your parents view things now ?

Are they negatory or realizing the benefits of entrepreneurship ? Of course they realize the risk, but are they beginning to see the forest for the trees, or are they still not able to see the forest because of the trees ?

Just a Dange question…

I agree with you here. It is a good idea to have something like this in place. I don’t think it’s going to get worse here in Jersey. I think most of the people feel we are over the hump in regards to the economy. But this is Jersey and it’s not like any other place in the world. I heard on the news yesterday that this spring gas will be at $4.00 per gal again. I believe that. When we had the hig gas prices a couple of years ago I was charging a traveling fee. I guess it’s going to be time to do that again. It sucks cause it does raise my price and in some cases almost $100. I charge for both directions to and from the office. Fact is you have to look at yourself and decide if this is something you want to do. Many people start a business hoping to be in control of their own lives only to find out the business controls it. There is not one business on the planet that is surefire other then selling drugs. Even that ends up bad overtime. But either way I believe most businesses fail because of lack of planning. Part of that planning is how to attack a bad enconomy like this. There is nothing wrong with lowering prices to keep your business alive, as long as you place them back up when things are shinny again. Walmart is not the best example as their industry is differant then ours. But one thing is the same. They must get customers to stay alive. How do they do that? They’re known for providing quality products at super low prices. It’s hard to do that with employees in our industry. You may have to drop prices to the point where you are making $25 per hour and you alone are doing the work so you can make sure the quality is there. Or hire someone and go out with them. Either way, in this economy perceived value is everything. More bang for the buck…

I’ve never been busier, and I’m terrible at marketing.

Dirty glass will always need to be cleaned. I provide that service with value.

1 Like

Just my two cents:

This last year I was busier than I’ve ever been.

I tend to focus on the opportunity rather than the doom and gloom.

I totally understand what you’re saying and even though it still takes a special person in my opinion to be a success in the Window Cleaning business, I think most people who participate on this forum are special in that they care enough to better themselves. Yes, some are downright obstinate and shortsighted. I think Enviro is plagued by negative feelings and experiences and needs to do what all are here telling him: hit it with all his brain power and a postive approach. What I meant was that it is possible that he is not cut out for WC. I’m not personally convinced of that since he doesn’t seem to have proceeded with the belief that he can be successful.
I just don’t want anyone to lower his opinion of the ones who love him just because they may not have the same vision.

+1 here. And I too, suck at marketing. Id say success in this biz takes time. If you do good work, people will call you back. And, they will refer you to their family, friends etc. Just keep at it. Probably takes 1-2 years to get established…imo.(Did for me anyway)

This is what or part I am talking about a a marketing strategy for the window cleaning business in this time of recession.
The brigth light is begining to come out!!

How would you sum up the marketing strategy you believe would work for the entire window cleaning industry?

How would you sum up the marketing strategy you believe would work for the entire window cleaning industry?