Window Cleaning With a Hatchback

Good Morning, I am a sole proprietor going into my second year. I have been using my personal 10 year old black mazda 3 and this year will be the year to replace it. I like using a hatch as I believe it provides lots of cargo space, roof racks hep for ladders and they are fuel efficient. For those of you using cars, what are you driving, how do you like it, do you have pictures of your rig? I tend to lean towards a Kia Soul. Thanks.

1 Like

I originally used a Jeep Cherokee for years back in the day but started outgrowing it when screen repair took off. Throw in a WFP system and it was time for a Sienna.

2 Likes

I work out of a Nissan Rogue. I Googled it and apparently it has just slightly more cargo space than a Kia Soul but pretty similar. On top I carry a 28’, 24’, 6’ and Werner multi-ladder. Inside I have a Xero Revolution Max, hose reel, Screen washer, step stool, Sorbo lief cart and all the squeegees, buckets, rags, etc. I’ll try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow. I used a minivan previously and I carry almost as much but get better gas mileage.

2 Likes

There’s a company here in Canada that uses Nissan versa as their main vehiclr

Kia Soul? Too much space!

3 Likes

Kia souls are cool. I like the minivan because you can store a TON of stuff in it and junk yards are full of replacement parts.

@Infinity was using a toaster at one point. Had a really nice setup.

2 Likes

It’s snug but it’s all in there. Waterfed stuff on the right, traditional on the left.

2 Likes

That I did. Was an awesome little trucklet when I was still primarily doing windows. Got a little small once I got into power washing.

They must be an elite company?

That’s basically what my Mazda looks like but I I want something to put graphics or wrap and my Mazda is probably only worth a few grand. I don’t want to fork out the money on a vehicle that’s worth twice the wrap.

1 Like

Consider a Honda Element?

I’m kinda obsessed with the sedan plus roofrack setup for looks and fuel efficiency. Less space but not a problem unless you’re running a huge crew or need a bunch of waterfed gear. Will post pics sometime of my setup. I use a 2010 chevy cobalt ls with clip-on style rhino rack. Perfect for my extension ladder, step ladder, pole, etc. Something unique and sexy about a compact car turned into a trade machine vs. your average van or truck setup. Near 40 highway mpg helps a lot too.

I wish they would start making them again.

1 Like

You won’t get that with ladders on top, as I’m sure you’re aware :smirk:

I did sedans for the first few years in business. Had a Neon, an Accord, Camry. They all got around 35+ mpg (stick shift) empty, or 30ish with ladders on top.

My xb would get 32ish empty and 27-28 with ladders & equipment.

The little bit of extra cost in fuel was well worth the additional space and utility of the xb.

My Tacoma now gets 15-17 mpg (was consistently 18-19 until I stupidly put big ol’ mud tires on it :laughing:).

But I wouldn’t trade back for the xb even if you gave me $50k right now to do it.

Just my 2¢, but consider getting a vehicle that you can grow into, instead of grow out of.

(Now, if you can do like @Pure_Water_Window_Cl Joshua and run your business from a bike, please disregard everything I said and go save the planet and your health :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

yes. you’re aware then.

Yeah definitely not the same with the ladders but still excellent for me. If a had another crew, since I’m traditional only I’d probably get another work sedan. I got lucky with mine and got it for $1100 with less than 110k miles on it. Kid I bought it from was obviously desperate for cash. I was sketched out by the deal but the lil beast has no issues so I won’t be getting anything new for a long time. I’m in an area where any big town is an hr drive or so, at least a half hour to the nearest big money pit. Very happy with my decision but would be screwed if I ran a big biz or had wfp equipment.

1 Like

I’ve seen them around, cool branding, nice compact rigs. Low exterior price but whatever works for them. I’m in my 2nd year and a big thing starting out was the mental block of “competition”. I changed my thought process to something similar to working out. I don’t care what the other guys are lifting, it’s me vs myself. That’s how I approach my business now, plenty of glass.

2 Likes

yes they have a low and outside but their inside prices are not low at all.