Window Seal Blown by WFP?

Are you guys saying that Pella glass panes remove from the outside?

No. Some remove from the inside, and older wooden ones can get a little leaky as they age. But these appear to be sealed IGUā€™s.

Some really old Andersenā€™s had clip-ins on the outsides. But these donā€™t look like that, either.

@HLWC does your issue look like the OP? Since this is a resurrected thread maybe you could post a pic of the window in question?

That looks like oxidation run off from the frames. Have you run your finger across the frame exterior? If white chalky mess is on your finger then that is that mess. Diamond Magic with extra fine bronze wool will clean it up.

This has me thinking of adding a disclaimer for WFP. That explains WFP does not damage the window but may reveal problems that already exist with the window, such asā€¦
I have had several windows exposed for their blown seals since using WFP. Only one client mentioned it and I explained and they were fine with it because I formerly did crazy ladder work with a 2x4 and 16ā€™ pole to get their office building done around the trees they had in front of the window.

Havenā€™t been there yet - long story but home owner is okay with it - but I thought it would be that too. Or hard water stains. That would be a lot easier to fix.

Yes!! Iā€™m definitely thinking of adding some kind of disclaimer on quote sheetsā€¦

Ok guysā€¦ I cleaned my own windows yesterday, got the wfp out for a handful of 2.5 story windows. And later that day one out of the 6 panes I cleaned (3 windows) is fogged up in-between the panes. I cleaned these windows like 6 months ago with the wfp. Any advice? Was it the water from the wfp? Is the window just old and lost a seal on itā€™s own? Glad it wasnā€™t a customer window just kinda looking for a preventative measure. Thank you.

Iā€™ve had the same thing happen at a commercial property. The seal was bad before and the WFP just exposed it to a greater extent. The small amounts of water coming down from trad cleaning and good detailing kept it from being too bad but when I switched to WFP it fogged up immediately. The owners knew they were bad and havenā€™t had any issues once I explained the issue. These are on 3 story windows with 2 story trees planted directly in front of them, my ladder was not letting me lean into it enough to get to the windows with a pole anymore.

(this was tyhe first time I did it with a WFP, I just went under the tree afterwards and let myself get soaked. I bought an awesome 40ā€™ Xero later and no more soaking)

it is not possible for wfp to damage window seals. it is possible for the application of cold water to cause the moisture between the panes to condense and therefor show temperarily. in fact if you are in the window defogging business you use a can of cold (Super Cold 134 Cold Spray 400Gr - Diverse Electronics) to spray the glass. if condensation appears the seal is bad it just is not moist enough to show in the current conditions. yoiu can also rub an ice cube on the glass.
i clean windows and i did defogging as an add on for one season after very significant research on it.

1 Like