Working as a Subcontractor (Newbie); Storytime: How Did You Get Started?

Hi guys :exclamation:

I’m brand new to the industry and would like to work only as a subcontractor. I was introduced to the profitableness of the field recently, and thought it would be great to supplement my part-time work (hopefully eventually starting a business within a few years). Subcontractors also seem more appealing to company owners and it seems to be a simpler process.

I know as a subcontractor, I’m expected to have my own equipment and be knowledgeable :elephant: . I have some experience on the ground. But I was hoping you might be generous enough to help with your years of experience. I will continue to read the forums, so far I saw that a subcontractor could make 60/40 or 50/50, but would that be only if it was a 2 person crew? Can someone describe how this works with a full crew? Like examples of what that would yield :heavy_dollar_sign:.

I’m going to watch the recommended YouTube channels :tv: but would you guys mind sharing how you entered the business and got the training you needed?

I am also seeking to know where I can get supplies at wholesale prices.

Feel free to introduce yourself :name_badge: All advice is welcome & appreciated (and if you happen to have contacts in SoCal, that’s a major plus!).

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum

WCR has a store right here to buy your gear!

https://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/

This is where I like to shop! :wink:

3 Likes

As part of a crew, providing your own equipment and insurance, you would likely have to negotiate for a flat daily rate or commission based pay system. How much you can get depends on too many factors to estimate for you. But if you’ve gone through the trouble of setting yourself up to subcontract legally, it’s not such a reach just to get your own jobs and keep ALL the money (minus taxes, of course).

3 Likes

I think you are misunderstanding what it means to be a sub-contractor.
Example:
I own a janitorial company and want to sub-contract your company to do windows under my company. We agree on a 50/50 price. Your first job comes up and it is a $1000 job. I get $500 because you wouldn’t have that job if it wasn’t for me. You get $500 for doing your part. It doesn’t matter how many people you have - 1 or 25 for this example - you will still only get $500 and you have to pay your people out of that 500.

3 Likes

Besides, if you have employees that means you are now a full fledged company and can do your own work without needing to be subcontracted.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum!

All of the advice given above is top notch.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!

That site is very helpful too. Thank you, the prices are very reasonable. This is a great start.

Thank you for your reply Samuel.

I really do want to start a business and do it myself, but was feeling like this would be the best place to grow and then build a business. Is it best to just jump right in and get my license?

Do you mind sharing your experience?

My knowledge is very limited, so numbers and examples of what I could make would be very helpful. Even if it’s an underestimate.

Thanks!

Thank you for explaining! I agree, I know that method of approach is an option, but I also recently got the idea of doing it for window cleaning businesses. I actually contacted one and it’s a real possibility, and they don’t have to have you as an employee, but you work with them.

I was asked whether I would like hourly or percentage. I got those numbers from another posting, so now I see that’s more applying to the situation you’re talking about.

I just really need start up help. Like what are fair wages for such an arrangement. Your response is much appreciated. Thanks!

I would like to start a business eventually (once I acquire the needed skillset), but for now, it’ll just be me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Glad to be here. I was just ‘creeping’ before I decided to finally join.

I’m excited to meet everyone and learn about their experiences.

Please feel welcome to share.

1 Like

Dude, when I started a January ago now, I had a hundred bucks worth of home depot tools (that’s more than some on here), a worn out pick up truck, and a whole bucket full of have to. Don’t get your license yet, don’t worry about insurance yet, go get work all by yourself for yourself! It’s really that simple. Everyday you will learn. Wether your a sub or out on your own. Most of the guys on the forum come here to teach and learn from others in their field. I sound like a fan boy, but I’m a WAY better window cleaner for having found this community early on. You can be too. Why let someone else have 50 or 60 percent of your earnings for almost the same work. I say get your own accounts and let them pay you 100% to learn, unless your in Phoenix east valley, then go flip burgers. :yum:

7 Likes

Thank you for your response!

Okay first I have to make a correction, Dudette*. Okay, now we may proceed. Haha

But seriously, your encouragement is much appreciated. I really want to become a business owner. I just thought I had to take ‘baby steps’ and learn from the more experienced, then make the leap. But I guess I can learn as I go. Maybe I should change the topic to that…

So, like for your first day, you went to homes or commercial buildings? Also, what were the basic supplies you had?

No way, I’m in SoCal!

2 Likes

These tools are not ideal, however I didn’t know enough to know that Dudette.

14" unger non swivel scrubber
14" inch unger squeegee
2x24 packs of micro fiber towels
Unger 6 gallon rectangular bucket.
1 gallon unger easy glide “professional” soap
8’ 2 section twist to lock pole.

Quickly learned I needed:
A Razor scraper-1 inch single side paint scraper and then a 6 inch ettore glass scraper.
A SCRIM. Look them up in the shop button up top in the menus
Some kind of step ladder. I got a Louisville multi position finger pincher. It can be a step ladder and if your daring it can work as an extension ladder of sorts.

First off, I went strictly storefront. I was looking for the snowball. I wouldn’t quit unless I had gotten at least one that day. The next month I had 25 plus (I thought) regulars and snowball from there. At first, don’t approach anything that you aren’t comfortably equipped for height-wise. You’ll get more confidence quicker if your not failing because your way over your head (no pun intended). After a couple of months when you’ve landed around 60 solid monthlies, residential will trickle in. Once it does, go for referrals. Learn how to make bug and solar screens, they can be a high profit upsell, and the tools are cheap enough that you can have what you need off one house.

One more thing, Storefront and commercial are two different things. Storefront can be had relatively easily with few questions or requirements. Usually single story strip mall type stuff makes good targets to start. Commercial is generally bigger and while good money, insurance is typically required and some states have different regulations for different heights yada yada. The sales process is completely different with bid submitting and “best practices” etc. It still eludes me.

3 Likes

It’s the million dollar question with a million answers.

It all boils down to approach and timing.

2 Likes

A strongpoint of Will’s startup equipment list is that all the squeegees and scrubbers and the pole were from one manufacturer (Unger). This is important because stuff from one manufacturer might not fit properly on the pole from another manufacturer and you don’t want the additional burden of buying a bunch of different poles and sometimes different replacement rubber blades.

I really like Moerman squeegees but they don’t fit on my Unger and Ettore poles. So, after modifying a 5’ mop handle I finally coughed up the $ to buy a 16’ Moerman pole. I’m probably not going to buy any more Ettore squeegees, just going to stick with Moerman and Unger Ninjas.

All the big names are good: Unger, Ettore, Moerman, etc.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

These are exactly the specifics (inside business) intel I was seeking. I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

We have a lot of solar panels and I definitely want to get into that and screens.

I can start with strip malls that are low.

I don’t have a truck, but I can get the supplies and still get the job done.

So excited. It’s warming up and the season is approaching!

May you please offer an example of what a prototype approach might be for the 3 different demographics: residential, store front, commercial?

Thanks!

That’s true. Very true with most things in fact.

May I ask, which approaches have you personally found best (given consideration to timing)? Also, anything I should avoid?

Thanks for your input!

Thank you so much for those specific recommendations. I honestly wouldn’t have even considered that before purchasing supplies .This will save me money and time, and will help to avoid the hassle of modification later.

In order to be considered professional, I want to use the best products that you professionals use. It’s going to cost a bit initially, but at least they are quality items that I won’t need to repurchase. Investment pieces.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Having a bucket on a belt (BOAB) is a real time saver. These links show the kind I use. Lots of good BOAB options from all the manufacturers.

2 Likes