A dog bit me today. My best customers dog

Ha ha never had a cat attack me but im sure they come under the same regulations!

1 Like

There are some steps you should take for your safety. I found this article:

1 Like

I wasnā€™t really referring to violent crime rates so much as the fact that Florida has a very high rate of gun ownership and messing with someoneā€™s pet will likely as not get you plugged. And if you survive, youā€™ll lose in court. Not that Iā€™m necessarily anti-gun, but thatā€™s kind of the way it is.

Yep, and in the end someone is in jail, and someone is in the ground. Me personally? I would grab the bottle of ammonia and return the favor of an eye squirt.

2 Likes

That seems fair to me. But then you gotta worry about whether or not the other guy will take that as a good enough reason to plug YOU in the heat of the moment. Oh what a world :confounded:

Know 3 dogs who have run the homeowners insurance $20k over a simple bite like this.

Been but a few times at clients homes. No biggie. The part that would annoy me is her lack of caring

1 Like

She says, ā€œoh donā€™t worry about him, he doesnā€™t bite.ā€ Yeah right lady. This dog is like Kujo when your not lookingā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t know have you watched the news out of Miami

I ditched a customer last summer (maid service). She had this pit ā€œpuppyā€ who she couldnā€™t control. Ripped the owners leg open 10 inches and she laughed about it saying "oh sheā€™s just a puppy."
We told her to lock the dog up while we are thereā€¦sure enough the next cleaning the dog is out and about. I stayed cautiousā€¦
The following cleaning the cat is gone along with all of the cat stuff. She seriously tells me the dog picked the cat up like a toy and flung her back and forth until it diedā€¦all while laughing about it.
I seriously think she was mental but after that I threw the towel in and stopped showing up and didnā€™t return her calls.
No way in hell am I having that dog rip my leg open or an employees leg open. No BWC claims over that crap. Control your animals - they are unpredictable around strangers in their home no matter how sweet they are with friends and family.

2 Likes

Oh to top that customer off, I met her because I was driving down the street and almost ran her escaped dog over. It was hers and she inquired about our services. Live and learn!

Pets take after their owners. If the owner is an antisocial psycho then their dog probably will be too.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been dealing with residential customers for years in some capacity. Personally I will not do a job unless all the animals are secure. Pet owners typically think that everyone loves their pets as much as they doā€¦ The last thing I want to worry about is a dog suddenly deciding it wants to make a territory claim because the owner isnā€™t there, or be worried Iā€™m letting a cat escape, etcā€¦ Iā€™m there to do a job, not pet sit, and have eyes in the back of my head.
I have a good friend of years whoā€™s wife rescues dogs. They must have 10 in their house at any given time. I shy away from visiting them at their house because the dogs bark to high heaven, jump all over you and some of them nip and biteā€¦ So Iā€™m like, screw thatā€¦ Luckily I get to visit with my friends at other places because I really love him and his wife.
Anyway, just another item on the long list of reasons why I stopped doing residential. I cherry pick the residential clients I do have. If people approach me about doing residential I usually refer them. But on occasion if it seems worth it I make sure all my standards are met like securing animals, etcā€¦ if they canā€™t meet them, I donā€™t do the jobā€¦ Seems a little inflexible but I donā€™t care anymoreā€¦ Life is too short to put up with bull-crapā€¦ Thatā€™s my takeā€¦

5 Likes

For some reason that inspired me to think of a title for your one-day biography:

Bull Crap and Dog Bites: How Richie Blue Rose to the Top as One of San Diegoā€™s Premiere Window Cleaners

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about rising to the topā€¦ I prefer ground level work with a poleā€¦ :slight_smile: Canā€™t hold that against meā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A pet that has been socialized and trained is not a threat. There are some bat sā€” crazy animals just as there are bat sā€” crazy people, but socialize and train a pet and these problems do not exist.
It is illegal to tie a child up in the back yard or not send to school and socialize - so to should it be for dogs. So I call bunk on the ā€œno matter how sweet they areā€¦ā€ line. It is the responsible pet owner who needs to commit to socialization.

2 Likes

Even with all of that at the end of the day they are animals who have instincts that we suppress through training but there is no guarantee.
Let your dog outside and I bet it chases the first squirrel it sees.
Stranger knocks on the door I bet your dog barks.
Lock your damn dog up when there are strangers in the house working.
A dog is still an animal that is defensive of its territory and itā€™s people.
Turn a vacuum on and your own dog will even have trust issues with you

2 Likes

I walk my dog on loose leash; doesnā€™t lunge at squirrels or ducks.
Early morning I let my dog out in the backyard and he comes nose to nose with an opossum; the critter growls, dog just sniffs.
Stranger knocks on the door my dog barks; got me there, but he also checks me to see my reaction and is calm when I open the door.
Cable guy was here last week and redid my cable and installed a new modem, my dog was friendly and nudging up to the guy because he was no threat.
The vacuum isnā€™t a trigger either - why? Because he is socialized to everyday activities.
Sorry to blow your theory all to hell.

1 Like

Sounds like every dog attack owner our there. ā€œNot my dog! He would never do that!ā€ Just respect that some people, including the cable guy your dog was nudging against, do not want your dog nudging against them. Even if he was smiling, petting your dog, etc he may have done so to not appear rude.
It is irresponsible to leave an animal out when there are contractors trying to work, and not just for their safety but the animals safety.
I love dogs and have let my dogs sleep in my bed my whole life, but at least I still know they are animals at the end of the day even though I think of them as family.

Also I just had hand surgery. Doctor says I can work but to be careful. Does a dog nudging my hand because it doesnā€™t understand this sound pleasant?

1 Like

True thatā€¦ I know people that have been socialized, it doesnā€™t mean they wont react if they feel treatedā€¦

Agree to disagree. Not all dogs are Lassie, not all dogs are Cujo.
Being in peoples houses week after week, I have only run into three dogs that need to be put up while someone is there.
Your understanding of nudge is WAY MORE of a physical encounter than what it actually was.
You demand all dogs get sequestered to a garage or room, I treat each as an individual. Iā€™m out.

1 Like