Any successful and profitable side business for the winter?

I am curious what others do in the winter, other than doing my store fronts on nice days in the winter i have no work for jan, feb, and atleast half of march.

Has anyone figured out anything else to delve into that can be profitable part time, or not require so much marketing that i need to hire more people, more garage space etc, and i can use to fill up my winter schedule and maybe dial it back the rest of the year and take on work that falls in my lap, or work at this new thing 1-2 days per week, and do windows 3-4 days per week?

You could start a window cleaning school.

Or try selling waterfed poles.

Can you pole dance? :slight_smile: Seriously the sky’s the limit. What other skills do you have? I’m going to offer handyman services to my existing customers.

Deliver propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

I’ll bet that works, there are probably more people in my small city then you have in the whole state. Ergo, few natural gas lines.

SMH

Get over it already.

Smh. Get a life, besides worrying about mine.

Try selling fabricated half inch pipe…

Clean windows are not cheap,
And cheap windows are not clean…

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
© 903.261.3806

if you are a really good salesman you can sell the shirt off your back.

j/k

I think pole dancing wins.

usually true, not always, but more specifically i need something that does not conflict with window washing, or makes so much money i do not need to pursue window washing, and power washing any more. Open minded to both.

I am in suburban detroit michigan, so our winter is pretty tough, there is just zero demand for window washing in the better part of three months.

I have toyed with the idea of doing snow plowing, but there is the problem of it snowing in november and up to christmas week when i have tons of work still, then i HAVE to go plow … but also the customers want the home done for the holidays. There is only so many hours in the day, i cant wash windows in the cold for 8-9 hours, then go plow for 14 hours straight, then go to wash windows again with no sleep. Also it could snow 3-4-5 days in a row, wiping out a weeks worth of window jobs i spent allot of time getting and scheduling.

I am open to any ideas, seeking more specific the better.

On the selling front, what do you think is something that is profitable to sell with low up front costs, and that holding costs do not weight me down when i am going full bore on windows?

You could always ship your pants in the wintertime…

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
© 903.261.3806

for sake of discussion, I would suggest two things as a starting point in your search for that 2nd venture.

1. something that already has a market and you can squeeze yourself in, in other words, do what everyone else is doing but create your own little corner in that market.

2. something that no one else is willing to do, for example the snow plowing, not many people want to be out there in the cold snow, and there is demand for it.

If you have an established client base, why not offer them a courier/errand running service to them in the winter months? For a fee, you can go run their errands and let them stay warm, safe, and dry.

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
© 903.261.3806

Please pay attention, I have years of experience, tools, and clientele for my one suggestion and all I had to buy is a G-string for the other. You are stating all the reasons why your question won’t work. You can’t split yourself into two new businesses and have it work. These guys are window cleaners, use all the resources here to improve your window cleaning business.

Hahahaha. That’s some funny stuff!!!

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
(C) 903.261.3806

well lots of people run two or more business’s, they just had more money than i did or i do, were born into money, inherited a business etc.

I have the burden of having to pay my bills with 8 months work, but bills all year, and if i am going to finance a new way to make money i have to have the cash flow for that. Or find someone who will sell me a business on a land contract, lease me a business, and make payments from the profits, etc.

I actually know a great number of people that run two business’s and what they have going for them often is luck, much better luck and dealt much better hand in life than me.

And I know people that have been dealt much harsher hands in life than you and STILL made it work. Stop making excuses or feeling sorry for yourself. That won’t pay your bills. Most self-made people started with far less than you. It’s about how badly you want it…

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
(C) 903.261.3806

1 Like

i understand the focus here is windows, but i am not a total newb, but not a world class expert. I have supported my self doing windows and powerwashing for ten years now. I am sure i can learn a ton from the people here, i have to … just by the sheer number of folks, and i will learn from their mistakes, or they will try out a dozen programs, or lead generators etc and do the hard work and share their results.

I was just hopping for someone who does something else. Thats all. I do not of guys who do chimney sweeping and window washing in michigan, and painting and power washing, but for example the guys who paint usually never do windows, and the large company that does windows and chimney sweeping does not do powerwashing.

I have thought of delving into car dealing, as well as buying one of the many DIY car washes which are basically just power washing units stand alone in a cinder block garage.

I can do that.