Any successful and profitable side business for the winter?

Wait i did not share what i started with, how do you know they started with less than me. How do you start with less than zero by the way. I was not making excuses for anything, i was saying i know many people with two business’s and many of them are not super hard working or bright. Just more luck, born at the right time (many are old from less competitive times) got in when the getting was good etc. Also do not spin that. I have had many older guys tell me how they could not make it today. How they started business back in the 40s with nothing but a sign, thats it, well maybe their word. No financing, no loan, no government regulations, virtually no crime. I have a number of old guys who are millionaires who they started business in the 40s, or even better their dad right off the boat started a biz in the 20s and the families are very wealthy. Thats all, i am just saying, i know people who run multiple business’s, and they are NOT hard workers, did not go to school, and just live off the customer base and the family name that grandpa built.

Detroit suburb, I feel your pain my man. Still I have to tell you, improve on what you got, or learn all you can about glass in a related business.
Henry here or Gary on the Window Cleaning Network on Facebook are excellent scientific sources. You can learn glass restoration from Chad here or Power washing from Thad. Don’t split yourself off onto something different unless you are able to devote your time and attention to it.

Then you must not know a lot of people. I’m a respiratory therapist first. I spent years working at a hospital in east Texas for kids with special needs. The worst of the worst. There is one in particular that would seriously pop off on you about this. His story? Hit by a stray bullet in the neck while a drive-by was taking place. End result? Paralyzed from the neck down and on life support. His success story? He has a successful online sports memorabilia business that he started with NOTHING except a laptop and a stick that he keeps in his mouth to tap on keys with.
Did he start with less than you? Yes. Did he complain about how hard it was to get started? No, he just went out and did it.
My songwriting partner back home in Tampa has one of the biggest carpet cleaning businesses in the area. How did he start? A machine and a vacuum and worked out of the back of his car. How many vehicles does he have in his fleet now? Over 20.
I could go on and on, but what’s the point. You’ll still have that chip on your shoulder.

Clean windows are not cheap,
And cheap windows are not clean…

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
© 903.261.3806

I would do snow plowing. I have never done that before, but I think it would be fun!

Just find something you enjoy and RUN WITH IT!!!

Pepsi, I’m done with this guy. I’m off to my belly dancing gig tonight.

After 10 years you’re not a world class expert?!?

I live in a somewhat similar climate to Detroit, northern PA. And I also have much less work in the winter and it’s not easy. Office cleaning has always been a decent supplemental income. We lost a really nice Federal cleaning contract last fall and hopefully will get it back when it goes up for bid again this fall.
What I am set up to do is removing snow from roofs and ice dams from gutters. With the right equipment you can most of the time avoid actually needing to get up on snowy roofs. Being that nobody requests this service unless there comes to be a large buildup of snow on the roof, it is hit and miss where I live. I did one job this year, January 1, and made $400 for 4 man hours. We got average total snowfall, but no real big single storms. That was the issue. Maybe in Detroit, the snow tends to accumulate deeper on roofs. Something to think about.

[MENTION=7868]mr._squeegee[/MENTION]

It’s obvious that u r not just sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. I feel ya. Life can be tough. But you’re looking for ways to make a buck, like all of us. I respect that you see a problem and are looking for the solution.

Have you thought through all the ways other window cleaning companies make it in your area? Perhaps figuring that out is as easy as calling them up.

Maybe link up with larger outfits to work through them.

Perhaps get a day job three months out of the year.

Perhaps set yourself up to succeed enough in 8 months to support you through the rest.

Perhaps even moving to where it doesn’t get as snow filled may need to be considered or reconsidered.

But to me, there has got to be a way other guys make it in your area. Mimic them.

I do windows all year long plus I snow plow in the winter. But I have 2 guys also.

But I do commercial only. No residential.

We have trashed out foreclosed homes for a couple credit unions we work for. Pretty good money and simple.

Larry I’m not sure about Michigan but I have discovered Texans that move to Wyoming are able to become world class experts in 3-6 months.:o

There’s always an excuse why don’t do something. People who are successful don’t want to do lots of things, but they doing it anyways. Running two businesses is hard, but luck got very little to do with it.

I’ll admit it…I honestly had to look this up. :o

You crazy kids and your lingo.’

Kind of demeaning to me. I’ll just break my a$$ during the busy months and relax in the winter.

[COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=4]I DONT THINK THIS IS TONY “MR SQUEEGEE”
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=2]Sorry, new Mr. Squeegee. There was a member here that is no longer here that has a great habit twisting up everyone’s panties.

We welcome you, but on the WCR forums you might feel as if you are being attacked with a very similar name to the former member’s.

If you would like to change your screen name to avoid a whole lot of headache and harassment, contact [MENTION=1]Chris[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4]Alex[/MENTION][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[MENTION=7868]mr._squeegee[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3209]SqueegeeNinjaNJ[/MENTION]

Yes Im happy to do the name change if you like… We could use a new mr squeegee around here…

maybe we could switch to the “The New Mr Squeegee”

Hang X-mas lights and get into getter and roof cleaning

Can I be “The New Chris Lambrinides” ?

Only if I get to be “The New Michael Mole.”

First, I must say if I sounded like I had attacked someone, I humbly apologize. My attempt to inject humor into a subject may sometimes get out of hand. Now then, because the Jersey Ninja and I have discussed this I would like to quote a moderator from another forum. “BTW, No more talk about other peoples attitude and family.” This is not to be critical of this moderator but to show how much latitude we have here with our postings. Tony did indeed like to get other peoples knickers in a twist. He also was a valuable source of info. RIP.
To be clear. It has been several years since I have done any exotic dancing. Last time it was at an assisted living facility. I provided the service at no cost and they haven’t invited me back.

@de.fuller

I like how you just made a point and contradicted the point you were trying to make all in one sentence.

Good job.