ANYBODY?For DAWN & AMMONIA

Recent threads have covered various additives…
Anybody for half a cup or two of Ammomia with Dish washing liquid.
Not on tint,and in well vented areas.
Anybody else used it?
Lemon juice ?

Lol

I use different additives to my soap, depending on the job at hand. I carry ammonia, TSP and some others on the truck, but use it sparingly and measure carefully. Chemicals are tools. You have to match the tools to the job. you wouldn’t drive finishing nails into crown moulding with a 3 lb sledge, would you?

I read on another forum that mixing dish soap and ammonia together makes a solution that is superior to using either one without the other. The post was written by one of those guys who should have been a scientist. He had all the reasons why.

That is so funny!!

Remember that if ammonia mixes w/ bleach or other oxidants you get a poisonous cloud.

I personally prefer to have the scientists at Titan labs do all the work.

Like Tony just mentioned, mixing ammonia with other chems can be quite dangerous.

I really just don’t see the need to play Bill Nye the Science Guy when it comes to window soap. Especially if it could be dangerous.

Do people really find the name brand soaps like GG4 and Dawn and all the rest to be so woefully inadequate that they are inspired to go out and make their own? Even at the risk of creating poisonous clouds or having your hands and lips start burning?

It’s soap guys;) please dont kill yourselves over it or even endanger yourselves. I dont take all the soap war stuff seriously (as in I don’t get angry because people use different soaps than I do) that’s why I responded with the “lol” up above. I try to see the humor in the soap wars. I just don’t want people to get hurt from mixing things like TSP and Ammonia with other chems.

I understand the desire to find/build a better mousetrap, but let’s not forget that the current mousetraps work great and nobody needs to have burning hands or lips…or worse because of the soap they use.

Well, yeah, since you asked. :slight_smile:

I personally don’t think that GG4 has enough slip, so I’ve been mixing 1 oz of Dawn in four gallons of water along with the 1 oz of GG4.

This coming week, I’m gonna be experimenting with GG3 which just arrived today from WCR. I have been told that it may work better given the local water conditions…

That said, I understand your safety concerns about mixing strong chemicals.

I’ll be honest with you guys, we used Joy and ammonia for numerous jobs when I first started years ago. It worked well, only downfalls being it had a harsh smell (I actually had a mall pedestrian ask me what smelled so bad while I was cleaning the airlock double doors), and in direct sunlight, even mixed with professional solution, dried quickly and required re-wetting windows. I never noticed any skin reactions, however, I probably wouldn’t recommend it. With all of the “good” professional solutions out there, who needs it?

You may not remember Randy, but back when you first joined the forum, one of the first questioned you asked was what soap to use. If I recall correctly, I PMed you with my personal formula of mixing a little bit of Dawn with GG4;) lol…those were the days…

I’ve been using a recipe my dad the pharmacist developed for me 25 years ago. It has awesome cutting power, dries clear and streak free in clean water and doesn’t defat my skin. I haven’t found anything better.

When I need a boost, the nearly neutral PH allows me to add acids or bases to it without reaction, depending on the surface I am cleaning.

So your holding onto an awesome soap that you feel is better than anything on the market… why don’t you sell it?

Seriously. I’m not doubting you at all. I know your a stand-up guy, so I’m not kidding.

Or if your not interested in selling the soap, how about sharing it with the rest of us?

I would be interested in it. I’m all for building a better mousetrap…as long as it’s safe. If your Dad was a pharmacist, then I trust that he knew what he was doing.

My father was a chemical engineer, so I know the type;)

I love Dawn plus ammonia and have had good results with it… as long as I am not in tight poorly ventilated quarters :slight_smile:

I use different additives to my soap, depending on the job at hand. I carry ammonia, TSP and some others on the truck, but use it sparingly and measure carefully. Chemicals are tools. You have to match the tools to the job. you wouldn’t drive finishing nails into crown moulding with a 3 lb sledge, would you?

That’s a good way of explaining it. I also like to use different “tools” for different jobs.

By the way, whats up with all the soap wars lately?

I remember that guy. A really nice gentleman but everything he wrote was way over my head. Are you talking about the guy on NWCD forum a couple of years back maybe?

It’s a conspiracy Jessie.

I am actually Nathan Born. I’m a secret operative for an international cabal made up of soap magnates.

My mission is to infiltrate various agencies such as the FBI, CIA, NSA, WCR, ABC, CBS, NBC, QVC, and MTV.

Once I’m inside these organizations, i operate under the cover of an ordinary member, essentially hiding in plain sight while stiring the pot of controversy over soap. I sow the seeds of lathery dissidence wherever I may roam. My ultimate goal is to cause a global soap war that will reduce the world to a sudsy-soapy-squeaky-clean…mess.

Shhhh Jessie, don’t tell anyone.

I have taken you into my confidence because I wish to recruit you. Your mission will be to convince the world that TSP is a safe and effective window cleaning soap.

Should you choose to accept this mission, you will need a goofy nick name(s) and a unique…

:wink:

[QUOTE=WoodysWindows;138041]

I have taken you into my confidence because I wish to recruit you. Your mission will be to convince the world that TSP is a safe and effective window cleaning soap.

Should you choose to accept this mission, you will need a goofy nick name(s) and a unique…

;)[/QUOTE

Trying to be humorous at someone else’ expense here on the forum just ain’t cool.

I doubt that was his intent Rich.

[quote="“Nuvudude,post:17,topic:13559”]

Wow.

I’ll send Jesse a pm asking him if he was/is offended by my post. If he says he is/was then I’ll be happy to offer an apology and remove my comment.

Honestly though, I’m not sure how how anyone could view my comment as offensive. It was meant to be humorus and as I’ve stated before, I don’t take any of the soap war stuff serious. I certainly wouldn’t try to be mean or offensive especially at the “expense of another”.

When I first saw Nuvudude’s comment this morning, I was quite surprised that my humor was so misunderstood. My only response was “wow” as in, wow I can’t believe that such an obviously humorous (to me at least) response to Jessie’s question could be taken in such the wrong way. What is even more surprising is that others whom I respect very much (Larry and Mike) agree that my post was mean spirited… Double wow!!

So if I have had a serious error in my “humor judgment” and offended Jesse in any way (Jesse has always seen my humor before and not been offended that I’m aware of) by my post-- I will publicly apologize to him and remove my post.

Seriously though, no harm was meant and I think most people know that I’m always joking around.