Are smaller jobs more profitable?

The more big jobs I take on, the more I think I prefer smaller jobs. So far, my favorite bracket has been the 2000-2500 Sq ft homes, where I can usually earn $70-$90/hr, with fewer headaches by far than the big mansions I occasionally work in.

What, in your collective experience, is the best home size for overall profitability? Do you think smaller homes actually have more profit potential? Why or why not?

4 Likes

No experience nor do I have a real say but I would think smaller jobs would be. I mean for an example you spend two days on a big job bid the job for 600+. I don’t know your pricing nor how long it takes you to do a smaller home but say you schedule two smaller homes and do them in a day. Might not equal up to 600+ but the time spend is less. Idk sorry I’m rambling. Lol

1 Like

I like the $150-200 range. They may or may not be more profitable, but I like them better I can do those all day but big jobs just wear me out mentally.

8 Likes

My big money is in homes in the $200-$600 range without question. You can bang out 2-4 of them a day.

Giant homes are nothing but headaches. I used to chase them to satisfy my own ego, but those days are long gone.

8 Likes

I prefer the $189-$269 range, less headaches.

7 Likes

More windshield time for small jobs but less chance to paint myself into a corner by underbidding, so more satisfying from that perspective. Also increases the probability of getting more referrals.

3 Likes

I prefer large jobs because I have employees.

I pay these employees hourly from start of day to end, so the down time spent in travel to and from sites costs me money.

9 Likes

Not solo though, right Chris? If so, then I really suck cause I can only do like one house in the $200-300 range in a day. :sweat:

tract homes 2000-2500 sq feet are the most profitable, houses over $400 seem to drag

4 Likes

We like the $300-$700 range. Currently my wife and I can complete that 2.5-7 hours in that range. Last year with a couple of subcontractors we were able to do several $900-$1500 days. I used to not like the bigger houses, but we now charge accordingly. They can be pain at times, but it’s funny how that pain goes away when that check gets deposited.

4 Likes

I am a fan of sun up to sun down houses. Anything that bleeds into a second day is no good for us. Cut down on drive time, plenty of time to build a strong relationship with the client, and makes scheduling easy.

3 Likes

Some of my smaller commercial accounts I can earn around $100-$250 an hour if I move it. Today I banged out a $85 job in 30 minutes and a $220 job in an hour and a half. On the flip side, I have jobs that I earn $25-30/hr but have full janitorial at those buildings so I make up that money elsewhere. CCU I earn $20/hr on windows, but once again make up for it on the actual cleaning of the houses. It makes for an attractive window cleaning price that I know other window cleaners can’t come near and it is still money in my pocket.

2 Likes

Tomorrow my 60 inch squeegee comes to my office. I can’t wait to see the hourly rate of commercial with that sucker.

3 Likes

Bet that thing is a beast. Money maker for sure

1 Like

I hope so. I will be using it at a medical campus that has 3 buildings. Each building has around 200 panes that are 60 inches wide, 2 stories on each building. If all goes well I may record a video and post it in action.

3 Likes

I would like to see that!

I assume all these figures are for cleaning inside, outside and tracks? It’s done quite a bit differently in the UK

1 Like

our most profitable jobs are commercial jobs. Not storefront but commercial buildings.
We did a bank in and out for 800$ in 3 hours, 4 guys. more than 500$ in profit after wages.

Another is a residential 5 stories building complex: bid 5000$, took 8 hours with 5 guys. Quite a few dollars left at the end of the day.

3 Likes

My favorite commercial is the 2-5k range.
Residential with me and another experienced cleaner is $800- $1000 range
Solo $200- $400

2 Likes

Interesting topic. I did my first house last Friday and got it done in 3 hours. It was a mess, but I think I can shave that time down to 2-2.5 hrs. At that rate I could knock out 2 a day solo. Beggers can’t be choosers, but if I can fill my schedule with that range of money and size of house I’d be pumped. I bid a 14K sq ft house a couple weeks ago and haven’t heard back. In the long run that might be a good thing since the more I think about it, the more that house looks like a potential nightmare.

2 Likes