Are smaller jobs more profitable?

In my limited experience, it seems like those monster houses always have the most hideous surprises, and the owners are always hunting for a cheaper cleaner

2 Likes

Yea, sometimes they realize good quality window cleaning service ain’t cheap either. I get those huge ones now and again that are looking to sell and not wanting to spend over the minimum, but want it all done. I’ll shave a wee bit off the price, but not a lot for a lot of work. Some will do it for minimum I suppose, or they just stay dirty.

Stringing a bunch of moderately priced jobs together is nice, but a few all day’ers charged right are well worth it too.

1 Like

I think it depends on your market. With my spread out rural territory, I’m usually hard pressed to schedule more than one house in a day. I’ve had only a couple occasions where I could do two $300 houses on the same day, because they were close enough together.

$250 or less, I could handle some drive time between houses. But those jobs are pretty rare for me. Most houses I do run $350-$500+.

So my favorites are the “sun up till sun down” homes, as someone previously mentioned. Depending on the job, I can do a $650-$750 home in a day, solo.

But my absolute favorites, are the customers who book multiple services. Like: $200 gutter cleaning, $550 house wash, $350 window cleaning, all completed in a 7 hour day.

5 Likes

Most profitable would be a quarterly client , One story home 20 windows 2 doors in a expensive neighborhood . Can easily Be done in 2 hours and charge $200-240.

But I like the repeat client $300-400 done in 4-6 hours. I can do this everyday and still have energy for other activities .

I do notice that my energy level and productivity start to decrease after 6 hours . So any job that’s 8-10 hours , I notice hourly rate go down

5 Likes

I found a squeegee that size was a little too big, rubbers are expensive, storing it took more work than it was worth. It’ll be great to hear your feedback and how you like it.

1 Like

this depends ENTIRELY on your price structure.

2 Likes

More than that, I think it depends on what price structure will actually land jobs. I charge the same rate for rich and poor alike.

People with high-dollar homes ($500+ jobs) CONSISTENTLY try to bully me down on price, and tend toward a low close rate (less than 50%).

In contrast, my close rate is much higher (between 70%-80%) among people with more modest dwellings ($200-400 jobs). They usually just write the check without batting an eye, and often tip extra.

4 Likes

what do you mean by this, the same rate per window regardless of quantity or…?

Nice thing about mid size homes 3500 sq ft is the upsell potential for that day and not messing with the rest of the days work. We add gutters, gutter whitening etc often on these jobs and turn them into high profit jobs.

Large jobs: All too often I have seen people bid these too low in hopes of obtaining a big account. If priced correctly I enjoy the occasional large job. Lack of travel time, team working together allows for bonding.

With large homes there always seems to be the moment mentally where you question if you’re gonna complete on time.

2 Likes

Much like a bucket bob who did an 8k+ sqft house for $200. Homeowner didn’t take us up on our $800 quote lol

In contrast, as several of you have stated, $200-350 jobs tend to be ones we land most without fuss. Several of those have become repeat customers and referred us several times. We can do 2-3 of those in one day and that’s a good feeling.

3 Likes

Yes. My bidding formula is based on window count, difficulty of access (higher window, higher cost) and sometimes window size as well (big aquarium windows cost more than a regular single hung). The formula is the same for a mansion or a cottage.

To be honest, my formula doesn’t seem scale up very well, since larger jobs generally produce a lower average hourly wage for me. Yet the big house owners are the ones who whine about price, where the small house owners pay me gladly even when I exceed $100 an hour.

5 Likes

For me in commercial, same applies. Used to chase 20 floor hirise chair work no do more midrise office parks. Easier,profitable and dont have to deal,with prima donna chairmen!!

1 Like

I would rather a $300 house than a $1,600 house any day of the week!

I used to think “Man, I would love to clean the windows on that 10,000 sq ft house.” I have found with the bigger houses there are too many windows(you are there 2 days- I work by myself), more stuff to move and you have to be extra careful. Everything in that house cost more than my truck. LOL

Those $300 houses that take me 3-4 hours make me smile every time!

7 Likes

I guess I see it different. If moderate home has 30 windows, but a huge home has 65 windows, it all pans out because I charge for the amount of work. It doesn’t matter if I finish 2 or 3 homes in two days or 1 home in two days, the $$$$ amount should equal out.

1 Like

I am the same as you. I charge the same per hour no matter how small or large the house is. I just rather only work 3 - 4 hours in a day. Those 8 hours days wear me out. I am 43 now. I am a very old man Garry. LOL

4 Likes

HAHA…I have you beat by 17 years. :wink:

2 Likes

So this means I’m not lazy after all … just getting older. HaHa
Thanks guys.

4 Likes

I usually work alone and prefer jobs in the $300 - $400 area. In the summer, this allows me to clean the outside in the morning first, have lunch, then clean the inside where it is usually cooler. Usually less drive time too.

4 Likes

Do you worry about drip throughs from the inside after you’ve already cleaned the outside?

The problem with bigger places is that usually you’ll encounter more problems: high indoor windows hard to reach, loads of stuff in the way (how about that funky vase on it pedestal?) and a fussy owner.
Cheaper homes are just easier and faster and less risk of breaking something or getting sued.

3 Likes