Becoming a window cleaner at 16

Hello! I’m almost 16 and was wondering which componies would hire me at 16? would I be able to do high rises or just limited to residential or commercial store fronts?

Charlie

3 Likes

Charlie!

Congrats man on already standing out by working hard and having a willing spirit! You’re already ahead of 90%!

What about starting out by offering your new squeegee skills to a few local storefronts?

5 Likes

i don’t have any yet, i’m going to menards to price everything out. also it will be kind of hard because I don’t have my driving license yet. do you have any fixes for the drivers license?

2 Likes

also, wont the store front owners just laugh me out?

i have a lot of questions before i start. How do i clean over stickers?

1 Like

Get a bicycle, a bucket, a pole and you’ll be good to go.

Clean right over stickers and detail with a towel.

6 Likes

Oh do I ever…

As suggested, get a bike, and get a trailer. Make a trailer if you have to!

5 Likes

Present yourself with professionalism and know what you want. Laughs may come from the staff but if you’re serious you’ll most likely outlast them.

I have a 12 year restaurant client that at first I got laughed at and eye-rolled at by the staff the first 3 or 4 times I tried. My persistence paid off as the manager hired me and now every single employee except for one has been fired or quit since then and I’m still there cleaning their windows.

To get motivated I used to ask myself “how much do I want to eat?”.

6 Likes

That seems like good money. Getting my self around is more difficult because im in the northern suburbs of Chicago like in a nebiorhood where the closet building is a 5 or 8 minuet drive

1 Like

If you can purchase a moped or some electric scooter you can create a rad gimmick now.

3 Likes

Rember i dont have a driver’s license. I should probably start by doing small jobs like at wallgreens or somethin

2 Likes

something

You don’t need a license for a little electric scooter

5 Likes

A motivated young man can make a lot of money fast compared to his peers - I always think I could have owned a house by now if I had started out of high school. I put my effort into science which was a mistake because I foolishly believed formal education was a safe bet. Of all my investments none have had a poorer result than higher education. Once university was an investment, then it became an insurance product to prevent people falling through the cracks - and now it is a kind of lifestyle choice.

6 Likes

To answer your question - you probably should learn the ropes with a firm - but then start your own business. You could skip finding a mentor by watching enough youtube videos and practicing where you live. Get a stopwatch and time your applicator and squegee work until the technique is flawless and fast.

2 Likes

It will be really hard to get these big corporate stores when your first starting out. Try the little “ mom and pop” stores. Like barber shops, salons, and others alike.

4 Likes

With the stickers I just leave them there and squeegee over them then give it a quick wipe Around the sticker with the micro fiber rag to get the Water run off

3 Likes

You can call around small window cleaning companies to see if they’ll hire you . Many companies need help

In the mean time watch lots of YouTube , Luke the window cleaner , window cleanse , Steve-o. Crack the piggy bank and go buy some basic tools and practice . You probably have some stuff in your garage all ready (Buckets , towels poles )

Let us know if you have any more questions , please here very helpful

2 Likes

ok, thanks for the help. any good window cleaning solutions anyone recommend?

2 Likes

should i also start out with something like this?