Bucket bob hard at work?

This guy takes the bus to his jobs around here, has the best HD window cleaning equipment money can buy…

But when I am approached by potential customers unhappy with him not showing up for work and they see my price most try to talk me down and say “this guy charges $x for this much”

Some appreciate more quality for more money and others think him and I are the same… what a world what a world

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

“If you want to pay bananas, expect to get monkeys”

1 Like

That’s when you say… “I charge more because I am insured AND show up” :smiley:

It kills me sometimes thinking about the image of storefront window cleaners. I have quite a big route and some people expect the world for $10 once a month.

Slowly building my residential side up, thankfully haha

How much price difference is their between you and him?

Are the customers not happy with him not show up or being late because of public transportation or is his work below par?

Sometimes he doesn’t show up for a month or two at a time, I’ve heard his work was awful, and pricing is very low. I’ve also heard that he’s been doing many of these accounts anywhere from 2-3 years all the way up to 8 years. These customers say they didn’t know any other window cleaners so they would rather keep him than try to find someone else. Doesn’t make sense to me though, if I want to find something I google it and use the internet to research what I want.

I’m brand new to this market, although I’ve lived here my whole life, I was working on cape cod for years and it was not for myself cleaning windows.

One example was a guy approached me while I was on my route and he said that he heard I do good work and show up when I say I am going to show up. He owns an apartment building with a little strip of stores along the bottom. He requested an estimate for the outsides of 6 small stores outside only and the in/out cleaning of his lobby area including the ceiling to floor mirrors along an entire wall. It was lot of glass and just a lot of work. It would take me about an hour to complete it once a month. I told the guy I could do it for about $110 it was a whole lot of glass. He didn’t think that “sounded right” since this guy did it for $75. I asked how long this other guy was there and he told me anywhere from “2-3 hours when he decides to show up” and i then found out he only accepts cash when he did the cleaning (this was after I said that I could do the job for $100 and leave a bill in the office drop box)

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central, Mass
Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Did you book the job and do the job?

[MENTION=3]josh_cronin[/MENTION]
Love me some bananas.:stuck_out_tongue:
Idiots try to give me cash but I wanted bananas. Guess they misunderstood. B-a-n-a-n-a-s

This **** is bananas - YouTube

So typical. Storefront clients complain about price because they’re mostly barely scraping by or are new to business and aren’t used to paying out so much.

Move your target to better areas of window cleaning or it’ll wear you down. As long as there’s cheap clients there will always be bucket bobs roaming the streets.

In my area there’s a ton. I have a few small storefronts ($12-25) that take between 2 and 15 minutes. Bob will come by every couple of months and offer a $3 special.

Nah, this was mid summer, he has my card and info. I followed up about two weeks after he first got in touch, after that it was more of a waste of my time.

Plus I’ve only been at this full time for a month now, so I’d rather spend my time planning for the spring and keeping my existing customers happy, instead of chasing the price shoppers

Hey Joshua do you lose any accounts because of the $3 dollar deal?

I’ve lost only a very few since I’ve started about 5 years ago. Several even call me back and IF I take them back I always charge more. It makes up for lost time, kinda like a paid vacation. :wink:

I learned quickly to gravitate towards higher class boutiques and restaurants. Places that can’t “afford” to be seen being serviced by Bob. (no offence Bob, but you stink)

Ok Mike/Anyone else, so this other guys making 25-37.50per hour for 2-3 hours of work (total $75 cash), you quoted $100 for about an hour of work for you because you have better tools and technique, your lic,uniformed, clean cut, pay taxs ect… and the property owner still went with the guy who does not show up for months and does an awful job when he does show up, and he only works for cash.

Why do you think that is Mike or Anyone else that would like to chime in?

Simple. Pride, not in workmanship.Sorry to bust ya’ll’s bubbles but folks want dirt off. Face it. Janitors with a squeegee vice mops. You get the dirt off not painting a Picasso.
Same as a floor, you are mopping the glass and rinsing. In this industry somebody will pick up your leftovers and make a living with that. We may have better equipment and can do it in less time. Some folks can do it without all the bells and whistles. Sometimes we overestimate how good we are vs what the client actually wants. Especially outside glass. Who wants to pay an arm and a leg to get cleaned windows just to have a dust/rain storm pop up and there goes all that money.
Remember the Perry TDS vid. Lets say using WFP, it all applies either commercial and sometimes ressy. People feel that although using higher TDS water (similar to minor spots or streaks a BB may leave) there are little marks. These marks, in most customer’s opinion are not significant because in a few days the windows will be in similar condition. So much for your Picasso.

2 Likes

Leave him alone! He is just trying to make some money so the elves can eat.

2 Likes

What if he’s late because he’s got a dying wife at home he tends to and can’t always catch the first bus. This guy may be doing the best he can with what he’s got. Eh?

2 Likes

Its funny how pictures are one dimensional you never know the whole story.

you will have to match his prices if you are going to get a toehold. can you hack it,that is the question

2 Likes

I wish I could hack it haha, sometimes I think I do too good a job on my route work

Nothing wrong with someone working.
Guess he could be in welfare and we would have to pay for him anyway
But he is out makeing a living for him self.
You don’t have to match his prices but you will have to market harder.
There’s a lotta windows out there

“Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc”
~Pagliachi

1 Like