Business Name

Hello I am brand new to this forum and been getting alot of great information. I have a question i have been debating for a couple of weeks now. At the moment i have a very small mobile auto detailing business. Bo’s Mobile Auto Detail. In about a week i will be spending $600 on all of my window cleaning supplies. Before i start making a website, ordering business cards, door hangers, shirts, and other pieces of advertising i cannot decide if i should just incorporate the window cleaning into one business into my auto detailing or if i should use a separate business name and everything. Pros would be that both businesses could be marketed together and i wouldnt have to get 2 different business cards, door hangers, etc. Cons the two businesses arent so similar and i cant think of the best business name that could include both of them in a way that is easy to market together. I hope this question makes sense.

TLDR: I have a mobile auto detailing business and am starting a window cleaning business. Should i include both in one business or should i keep the two separate?

Thank you for your time.

I’d say keep them separate and just get a DBA for Bo’s Window Cleaning.

Business cards are cheap enough.

When I see somewhat unrelated services on the same marketing materials I immediately get the impression that the owner is just scrounging for whatever he can get his hands on. Kind of a hack thing to do, IMO

Window Cleaning and Tree Trimming :-1:
Pressure Washing and Handyman Service (booooo)

I dunno, maybe that’s just me.

8 Likes

I think @Samuel is right. All I’m thinking is finally when someone ask: “hey can you clean my car windows?” There will be a window cleaner that can “say yes I can and the rest of your car too!”

3 Likes

Yes, separate the businesses. Unfortunately that would be painful to do, tracking time and doing everything for both individually.

I don’t know it would be worth it for me. I think I’d personally prefer to go all in on one or other.

2 Likes

electrician / carpet cleaner

2 Likes

restaurant /oil change

2 Likes

dentist / tax preparer

2 Likes

Flying/monkey

1 Like

Actor/ therapist

2 Likes

Pools filled / septics emptied

5 Likes

Bo’s Window & Auto Detailing…it doesn’t sound that bad! I can see why others say it doesn’t fit, having different types of jobs. This brings them together. You are detailing windows and you take the same pride in detailing autos. I believe, if branded properly, the name and business sticks with people. You can either treat them equal or have the Window Cleaning portion of your advertising/marketing stand out more. You want to push for window cleaning. It’ll bring in more money. Bigger fonts and placement-Always first. People will always remember that you provide auto detailing as well. It is part of the name and it will be on all of your advertising/marketing products-on a smaller scale. Smaller fonts, less images-less information…or, you go in at it the same scale…or you do it separate… lol.
I can see both sides. Do it- don’t do it.
I think that you can make it work, whichever direction you choose. There is only one way to find out! Maybe I’ll try it for you lol :grin:

Good luck

2 Likes

Proctologist/dental hygienist

1 Like

I like window cleaning, I wouldnt say it brings in more then auto detailing though.

I owned an auto detailing and restoration company for 20+ years.

4 Likes

Lol I had (should) in brackets at first but then figured no, it has to be more .

Was it both restoration and detailing that made it so? Labour for auto detailing places are usually around 30 bucks an hour, around here. No idea what mobile detailing would cost though, so maybe.

Thank you for the reply that is the opinion i have been hearing from a few people. I dont think that the businesses are so different though that it would be such a bad thing. Ill be looking into it more. I understand the reasoning to keep them separate.

1 Like

Well I got very invested into auto detailing and then moved to a different area and it hasnt grown to the size i want it to be yet. Soon ill be able to advertise it. Then i ran into info on window detailing and became very intrigued and am going to do it. I think its easier to get alot of people to pay $20-50 than to get 1 person to pay $100-$400. Id like to get both built up to a good size and then hire people to work for me.

Thank you thats exactly what i was thinking. Its not a huge difference in jobs offered. I understand why to keep them separate. I think i will try to make something where they can coexist. Alot of people that will pay to have windows cleaning will pay to have their cars detailed. For auto detailing i make $30-50/ per hour and from what ive seen window cleaners make $50-100+/hr so window cleaning by far seems better. Ive just invested alot into auto detailing to just give it up now. Eventually doing the kind of detailing i want to do it can get up into the $60-100/hr range but it will be more difficult getting to that point then it would be with window cleaning. I will just do both and see what works best. I have no problem working 80-100hrs per week. Ive done that for many years for alot less money.

2 Likes

So what can I use on my truck fabric to make it look new?

Why did you get out of auto detailing?

The Auto detailing and monthly programs trumped the restoration portion.

In regards to labor rates $30 is very low. (Non skilled labor)