Bye bye $4000 job, no thanks

Just passed on a $4000 CCU for a brand new Audi dealership this morning.

We got awarded the contract last week, and it would have been some sweet profitability - probably 2 days or so for 3 guys - but the builder refused to sign a scratch waiver.

Therefore, we said “bye-bye” and said we’re not doing it.

Learn this lesson if you are ever tempted for great no-waiver CCU jobs: Never do them. Protect yourself instead, sleep well, and move on.

There’s lots more glass out there for you to clean. Non-waiver jobs aren’t worth the risk.

K

Good call Kevin.

A $4000.00 job is nice, but you may have just saved 10 times that if there was fab. debris present.

I hope the next guy, and the next guy, and the next guy refuse to clean the windows without a waiver.

Hey Kevin, where did u say that job is? hahaha just kidding. i wouldn’t touch it either. I just turned down a construction clean on a hotel for the same reason, the guy refused to sign a waiver.

$4,000 is maybe replacing 4 large plates of scratched storefront glass? Kudos for you sticking to your guns Kevin. Nothing like adding the liability of scratched glass that someone scratched months ago on your shoulders. You probably came out way ahead by not taking the project on.

We unfortunately had a similar problem here. A local developer approached us to clean all of the houses they put up from here on out. They build whole developements at a time and would have been a monster of an account but they wouldn’t sign the waiver. As hard as it was to say we couldn’t do the work without a signed waver we couldn’t take that large of a risk. A shame too because we clean his house twice a year and he’s a great customer.

Well done Kevin! No reason for us to accept the risk for a temperer’s product issues. No waiver, No work!

sweet call Kevin. Very tough decision, but “you can’t lose what you don’t put in the middle”

That would worry me…WHY not sign? Think he knows something?

I think the poor sap that he finds to do the windows w/out a waiver should be worried.

Did he sign a waiver for the cleaning of his own house?

Sounds like he is needing some glass replaced to me. I have had that happen one 1 occasion. Realtor refused to sign a waiver. They looked at me and said " you are going to let a piece of paper keep you from making $10- $15 grand a yr ?’ They had a whole development going in. I looked at them and said yes. I only need it signed once for all the houses that will come my way. She just shook her head and walked away from me.

Come to find out 4 months down the road Another wcing company picked up the job . And now the development is sitting with 4 houses built. The Realtor is in hot water with some kind of tax evasion charges. The guy probably never got pd . glad it wasn’t me :eek:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I think ANYBODY who signs our waivers is an IDIOT!!! :eek: Sorry had to say it.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I think ANYBODY who signs our waivers is an IDIOT!!

Does this mean you don’t use one?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]No it means I think they are REALLY STUPID for signing it. If something goes wrong, and it will if there is undetected fabrication debris on the windows they will have no legal recourse, right? I’ll be safe and they will be screwed, right? [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Instead of being stupid and signing my waiver they should be smart and find another window cleaner, somebody who doesn’t have a waiver, right? Let the other window cleaner cover the loss, I think that would be SMART BUSINESS. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]DON’T TAKE ME THE WRONG WAY. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I REALLY DO FEEL BADLY FOR THE NEXT WINDOW CLEANER. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]It should be a crime to sell glass with fabricating debris on it!! :mad:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I also think it should be a crime to sell glass w/ FD on it. It should also be a crime to buy the stuff. Remember it’s not the wcer’s fault at all. We didn’t make it and we didn’t buy it and we certainly didn’t get garbage on it.

Kevin, check out this project a few months from now. I’l bet there will be a problem with something !! This has happened to me with a waiver !! Ho my they were proud of the windows !! Just scratched every where !!! They just did’n know qualty !!! I was so lucky to have a waiver sighed !! Did they want them repaired ??? No ! No !! No !! How they got a sigh off is wonder !!! 3 or 4 hd th of glass !!! I got paid and ran away !! Stan, pro window kleening

I have done hundreds of CCU in my career as a window cleaner and I can honestly say that I have done a HANDFUL of homes that the glass was nearly perfect when I was done with them. I have seen tons of pre damaged glass from just about every trade that was on the jobsite. Landscapers, roofers, concrete guys, drywallers and of course the “dont tape up nothing” painting company.

I have been in so many situations where I have had to defend my methods of cleaning (with homeowners & builders) that its insane. I am fortunate that I have to no longer put up with new construction anymore. Regular maintenance contracts weened me from this.

I have always taken the position that if the glass is that “wrecked”, then the homeowner is at the mercy of my company. You wont sign a waiver because you are going to stick me with that foyer window that got scratched by the bricklayer? Don’t think so. Im a risk taker- not a gambler. Big difference there.

Good Bye $4,000.00 headache if you ask me Kevin.

So I feel pretty stupid and freaked out at the same time. I have never heard of the waiver until just reading this.

Can someone tell me more about the waiver and when you use it? Also is it a prepared legal document and where would you get one?

Also the fabrication debris what is that all about, why is it undetectable? When you scrape it does it automatically scratch the window and if so what do you do about cleaning the window if you can’t scrape it.

Thanks,

Welcome to our world. I think you already get it! :cool:

Mike,
Go here to get educated on the stuff. I think there is a waiver on there

http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/resources/waivers.asp (waiver document here)

Welcome to the blame game.

Steve