Can someone help me replicate this?

I’d like find this reel and a dolly of this size. I’d also like to see if anyone else has a diy cart for their DI tank. My current setup is very primitive and time consuming to set up and break down

1 Like

The reel looks like a general pump reel (cheap one too.) The cart looks like a cheap hand truck (dolly cart) you can get from harbor freight that they bolted steel strips a crossed it.
Looks like a Gardiner quick couple for garden hose.

Thank you, I’m interested in seeing if there’s better options as well, or more efficient ways to haul around a WFP system. What’s your set up?

I use a xero RO/DI. Load and unload out of a truck at each house. Hose reel for supply hose (flexzilla) and a reel for my 8mm WFP line.
When I set up WFP, I run mine for 2+ hours. Otherwise, I would just do the work traditional.

Would you like to share a photo of your set up?

What kind of vehicle you running? If you’ve got the room for it, the number 1 most efficient setup for most circumstances is an on-board tank.

I can be washing windows 30 seconds after I park. Seriously.

1 Like

With that setup up you have time involved with filling tanks before you get to the site. So it really is a trade off where your spending that time. Still need to attribute the whole process to cost of doing the job, front end or back.

3 Likes

I’m in a 2006 Chevy Colorado 2 door, but I’m switching to a 2010 caravan, not sure I’d want to use a water tank, but I’d like to see your set up

1 Like

Yeah, you got me there :smirk:

In general, I can fill the tank while doing other stuff getting ready in the morning. So it might add a total of 3-5 minutes to my morning routine, at the most.

The time savings really adds up if you have multiple stops in a day.

And there are other advantages to a tank setup. No worrying about spigots being turned off (very common from this time of year into early spring), low water quality, or low pressure.

I can heat the water in the tank overnight and extend my wfp season without dealing with a propane hot water system (this also keeps the car and its contents defrosted overnight).

Will the caravan be a strictly work vehicle, or a family van, as well?

If it’s a work vehicle, I wouldn’t hesitate to do a small tank system. 50 gallons should be good, unless you’re doing mostly large commercial jobs. Here’s my last setup (that tank was only 25 gallons, and would get me through the exteriors of most houses):

I’ve given a tank for water, serious thought for my own business. I decided against it for a few reasons.
1 A big enough tank to hold the water I may need in a day, would eat too much room in my truck bed. Besides then I need to find a place to mount a pump and a marine battery (and on board charger) and have to hassle refilling the tank for the next day, at the end of my day.
2 I like to use all the water I need to flush a window. I run a bar on my brush. I don’t want to have to ration water to get through the day or the job. While setting up at each job might eat time, it certainly eats less time then having to run back to home base and wait to refill a tank before I go to the next job. The 5-7 minutes it takes on the job to set up the filter, is still much shorter than the drive back home to refill (20-30 minutes one way).
So I’m sure your set up works great for your business and how you do things, but for me or my area, it won’t work without having a pretty large tank. The houses I service are fairly large, some very large.

What would you do if you needed to haul 200-400 gallons a day to do your work? That’s more weight than your scion would carry. I drive a 3/4 ton truck, and I don’t want to do that.

1 Like

If I have a large commercial job, I bring my DI tanks and filter on-site. Otherwise, the 40 gallon tank I have will usually get me through the exteriors on a two day job (think: large custom homes with lots of interior ladder work). But if I run out before I’m done, I just transition to interiors and finish outside the next day.

I run a rinse bar on my Tucker brush. It does use up water a little faster than the pencil jets, but it doesn’t take as long to rinse, so it pretty much evens out.

I have my deep cycle marine battery installed under the hood. It gets recharged off the alternator the same as a normal starting battery. It’s not that great for the battery, but I usually get 2-3 seasons out of one before it starts to lose juice.

I’m not doubting your experience any. Just sharing what my experience has been.

2 Likes

I am removing my 125 gallon tank from my trailer and replacing it with a 35 gallon because the use was so minimal.

For me with commercial a smaller more portable system works just fine for small areas with water access issues.

1 Like

I’ve worked with a 50 gallon tank an without. Either way is fine.
But I’ve always kept my Di Tank on board

With my 50 gallon tank system i always have my DI tank with me. Incase I need more

I prefer the tank based system. Simply because I did not like to lift things out of the truck and carry heavy hose around. I filled the tank once we got home each day and had a timer to shut off the water. I have helped set up many of the tank based systems and we have everything you need so please feel free to call me or text.

Looks like you have a regular roof rack on your Scion, any issues with holding extension ladders, 28 and up?

More interested in system like I posted in the picture. I don’t like the idea of a tank

I have the DI tanks and the hose and reels. You can pick up a dolly local and I have the fittings to plumb everything.

That’s my old setup. Here’s my current vehicle’s build thread:

I currently have a track-based aluminum rack from VanTech, that I’m very happy with.

But to answer your question, the Inno Base rack I had on the Toaster served me very well, with 28’ ladders and all.