Carbon Trad Pole

We are constantly having to mess around with our trad poles. The tips coming off, locks breaking down ect. The other problem is the collapsed lengths of the poles. For example we have a few jobs inside where we have high and lower windows to be poled but there are a ton of obstacles around us. It can be difficult to use a longer trad pole for the lowers, almost have to bring in 2 poles. Anyways would anybody else like to see carbon trad poles ? Shorter collapsed lenght , better clamps and more rigid. Of course they would be more expensive but instead of buying a new trad pole of year or so just purchase a carbon and be done with it . What do you guys think ?

4 Likes

Not cost effective. Better off having several poles on hand and spare parts if necessary.

Personally, I find that I treat my wfp much better than my trad poles due to the expense. I bet if we treat our trad poles a little better, they would be more durable.

Good concept Luke.

But I use a wfp for my traditional work (route work) like @Trad-Man does for traditional residential work. I can break my pole down to the length I need at any time. With it being flip clamps rarely do I have any issues with freezing sections.

2 Likes

2 Likes

well i put together this new trad pole, and wanted to see how i like it . Its longer than my 16 ft trad pole and only 1ft longer collapsed than my 8 ft trad pole.

1 Like

i hear ya …but instead of purchasing all of those poles …what if you just bought one that would last for years if taken care of. id like to think i take care of my trad poles and still have to replace them frequently. idk just a thought.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same with my wfp at times - trad tips and such. Mainly when I need extra height. It the fear of damaging an expensive tool unnecessarily looms.

As to tools wearing out, that is somewhat standard for any trade. The most important tools to any contractor need the most maintenance.
Saws need blades, guards, even springs for motors at times. Pneumatic tools need oil as well as other servicing. Trad poles are some good of the most important things we use, but they need routine and replacement maintenance at times.

1 Like

Moerman poles are good.

2 Likes

We use the Nlite Aluminum poles as traditional poles. Even after years still on the original clamps.

2 Likes

what about the collapsed length of the pole ? our nlite carbon is around 6 ft.

2 Likes

I’m fine with standard pole replacing it often, and then there’s people with employees there’s no way I’m giving them a carbon for everyday work

4 Likes

thats true .

1 Like

I do like the idea and should make one for myself then the employees will be jealous. I’ll have to tell them when they grow up they could get one too

The best made Pole I found yet is one employee asked for a Sorbo California Dream Pole it is very well built extra smooth sliding but way too heavy for me for daily use.

1 Like

Nice.

Saw a cool looking extendable metal (aluminum, maybe) pole on AZ the other day that had some nice features. It was advertised as 6.5’ collapsed / 24’ extended, locking clamps similar to a WFP, and an angle adapter w/ acme threads. Probably junky quality, but some nice features. I could post a picture or link if it’s ok, but being WCR’s forum, don’t want to put up a link to another online seller.

I’d be most interested in a premium aluminum trad pole for my route work that was the same size as the Moerman pole, but with flip clamps and detents to arrest rotation of the shaft sections

Carbon, I’ve got my WFP for that.

Hi Luke, attached is a pic of my everyday Trad pole. Made up of 100% CF sections shortened to about 3 feet (extended length just under 12ft, collapsed just under 4ft). The clamps have been modified and trimmed and smaller levers from another clamp set has been used. I packed and epoxied a Gardiner Erkenomic adaptor (via Peter Erken) in the top section. By using Other Gardiner fittings I can easily convert to use as a very nimble ground level WFP… I’ve been using a form of this for over 3 years now. The icing on the cake was adding a fourth short section (recycled warranty claim) and the Gardiner adaptor. In my opinion the perfect Trad pole all year round (hands dont blister in the middle of summer or freeze to death in the middle of Winter as they can on raw Aluminium sections, nor do your hands blacken up)…Peter also sells an 8ft CLX for same purpose.

5 Likes

We use the 14 foot, 4 section pole. It’s 4 foot 7 inches closed with the pole tip off. I think it’s just over 6 feet with it on. But it includes an angle adapter.

2 Likes

very nice ! i thought i had seen you use a cf trad pole in your videos before .

i had thought about adding a tip like that to my pole , i prefer a locking tip so i went with that unger.

4 Likes