Commercial construction clean

Any tips for wfp this type of job?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

err you want to do the job with only wfp?
Not really doable imo, if its good to knock off the surface dirt then you will still need to remove the construction debris, and this is most effective nose to glass.

Will a sub pad on the wfp help

Scrub lol

Have you ever done a CCU?

No. Looking for some pointers

There is way too much you need to learn about the glass and type of debris you are cleaning off. If you just scrape every window, You will most certainly scratch some or many panes due to lack of knowledge. You can just stand behind a scratch waiver and go to town, or do it so the glass wont scratch.
Does your insurance company cover you for scratched glass?
Generally a scrub pad on a pole isn’t a magic wand.

What kind of debris do you encounter

You encounter every debris that was used to build that building…Paint, plaster, sawdust, dirt, mud, concrete, stickers, glue, welding sparks

I don’t even do CCU, the amount of hassle I’ve dealt with in the past with the builders, other tradesmen, and homeowners was enough to make me not ever want to do that once I started my own company.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

How useful will a bronze pads be?

Has anyone successfully cleaned ccu with a water fed pole? This will be a commercial job.

For CCU I prefer nose to glass but I’ve done one job with wfp. You have to inspect the windows pretty closely and make sure the stickers are on the inside where you can get them by hand. If they’re outside, ladder up. You also have to look at all the other junk on the window. If you have a long pole, you can razor a 2nd story window, but you won’t be able to scrub very good. Every CCU requires

1. Razor the junk off
  2. Scrub the junk off that the razor didn’t razor off.
  3. Then clean the window.
  4. Then scrub some more because you didn’t notice that greasy smudge right there 2" from the edge.
  5. Then clean the window.
  6. Repeat 1-5 as needed before moving on to the next window.

Get your waiver signed and then charge at a minimum 10-15 per pane.

Do a search for CCU on the forum. There’s a TON of information available.

Bronze wool is amazing to get the glue residue left by stickers off the glass. Some people use a blade on that and it just smears the glue more, bronze wool scrubs that right off.

BUT, using a WFP on a CCU is not a good idea. If you want to make your customer happy, make the windows truly clean, and keep this contract long after the CCU then I suggest using a ladder and cleaning nose to glass.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

As others have said, WFP is not a magic wand.

WFP is only good for removing limited amounts of dried on bird poo and general biologicals, dust/dirt, fingerprints etc - ideally a regular clean of some sort.

It is absolutely useless for a real CCU jobs, where removal of stickers, sealants, plaster, etc is required.

You really need to educate yourself on this type of work and get experience (obtain old or waste glass from manufacturers to practise on) as there are many factors that can come back to bite you if you dont know what methods, type of glazing your working on or chemicals to use etc

Before you do any CCU work, ensure your insurance covers you 100%, because you always get some contractor/construction company trying to blame you for any scratches or issue that occur once the windows have been cleaned. If your not covered, and you cant hold your own you’ll be liable and this can run into thousands/tens of thousands of $$$

But to answer your question is WFP good for commercial CCU - NO!

Thanks for the advice. I was searching the forum and found that some people use bon ami and a boars hair brush. Anyone have luck with this? Will it work on a bronze wool pad? White scrub pad?

Man give up on the WFP already, you’re going to spend more time redoing the glass than saving time producing great results.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

I know. It’s just that the location of the building will make a lift hard to get around.

ladder, scaffold 4x4 lifts with stabilizers can go just about anywhere… The glass was installed somehow and I can guarantee its quite a bit harder to lift a 10’ pane of glass than it is to get something to clean it.
Post a pic if you want some REAL advice not just trolls posts how you need it cleaned with WFP.

I’m thinking I just finished the last one I’ll ever do. I’ve only done a few in my 5 years of business. I sprayed Hi Sheen on the glass and used steel wool #0000 to remove debris then normal cleaning (thanks Fast Fanner for the advice). It worked really well and the windows look great. However, just as Mike mentioned above, the general contractor is coming at me stating the painters are blaming me for leaving smudges on the wall around the windows. This is absolute bullshit and just the painters way of trying to pass the buck. This was a $1,000 job that I still haven’t been paid for due to this back and forth nonsense. Save yourself the hassle. Avoid general CONtractors and other tradesman getting in the way of your job and payment.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

I stopped doing CCU’s years ago because they are so much work.

I would rather trim my finger nails or cut my grass than do a CCU!