Customer says I shouldn't make 75 dollars an hour

First of all, you are not ‘making’ $75/hr. Most legit window cleaning companies have a 20-35% profit margin. Check with your CPA/bookkeeper. If you are at 35%, you are making a little over $25/hr. Know your numbers. Anybody can be a window cleaner. A good window cleaner. Not all realize they aren’t charging enough.

1 Like

Some are crazy. You don’t need customers like that. Whenever a customer tries to tell you what to charge or bully you into lower your prices then it’s a red flag. Sometimes, it’s not about the price, it’s about working for people who respect you and value your time, instead of trying to abuse you or take advantage.

2 Likes

Give him the number of a competitor and/or give him the “go away” rates.

2 Likes

2022-12-29T05:00:00Z2022-12-29T05:00:00Z

Never tell anyone what you make a hr

2 Likes

Wrong. Be upfront. Tell them what you charge per hour. What you make an hour is usually substantially less. And never let someone else dictate what you should make.

Have you ever got a quote for work on your house ??
What industry gives a quote for man hours ? Around here no industry does. So why as window cleaners are we resorting to that ?
All first and second story windows cleaned in/out
Price includes ….

Not included in price …

That’s how it goes

For me at least. So be it if your estimate says
All first and second story windows cleaned 3 Hours labor at X amount per.
Some days i want to work fast and get done sooner. So now for my harder work I get paid less.
Naaaaa not for me.

1 Like

A one story house that takes 2 hrs to do because it has been done regularly still is charged the $300.00 minimum. The same model home Nextdoor that hasn’t been cleaned in 15 years takes whatever the minimum hourly charge listed in the invoice. Either way, you don’t lose money and can keep your margins up to your target rates.

I would happily tell them to call someone else for a price, these types of people wouldn’t be happy with the price even if it was for free…and then they’ll start getting you to do the ‘while you’re up there’ jobs…I no longer negotiate on price, if you keep taking the crappy jobs for crappy people then all you’ll have time for is the crappy jobs and they’ll only ever refer you to other crappy jobs if they refer you at all, but usually they will because they know they’re getting a better than market good deal. Never second guess the value of your work, otherwise the customer will too!

3 Likes

Nope. Some jobs estimate at X amount of hours but turn out to be different. Charge for the job, if you finish a 3 hour job in 2 hours are you really going to take less? I mean if you grossly over estimated the job and 3 hours actually turns into 1-1/2 hours then something is wrong with your way of estimating. For that reason I don’t charge by the hour or even square footage. I charge by the window, track, screen. No screens? Okay, that charge isn’t applied then.

Charge for the value and expenditure for your service. Vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance, supplies, insurance, self employ taxes, etc… Does someone pay you for vacation pay? Paid leave time? Health insurance? Sick days? Quarterly bonus? Home office supplies? That comes out of your pocket - Run your business like a business.

2 Likes

Yep, some people want a 2020 job done at 1990 prices.

1 Like

this is where the $300 minimum charge comes in. this covers your back when it takes less time than expected. The hourly kicks in when you go over your expected time.

You can fire customers

1 Like

You shouldn’t make $75/hour… you should make $100-$200/hour if you’re a solo op

4 Likes

I had a similar situation. She sent my check in the mail. $70 short because she believed I was making too much an hour. $70 dollar lesson I guess.

$70 sent to collections, more like :imp:

The nerve of some people…

6 Likes

Sent $70 short?! Two words - Contractors Lien.

2 Likes

Bruce … Neeed your words of wisdom . What I’m about to write is. “ Well …. Where is this infamous 275.00 guy ? Is he not answering your phone calls ?
Honestly I don’t answer these people back any more, but let’s have sone fun. Give me your words for shits and giggles.
She’s going to supply the Windex. I Ya YIiii :tired_face:

Estimate was for $675

1 Like

“Ma’am it costs me close to $275 alone in bleach, soap, gas, other miscellaneous expenses to operate this business per day. At that rate I would end up out of business like the other guy. Why haven’t you called him back? Has he stopped answering his phone? I operate a professional business not a brothel.”

1 Like

hahaha, ok

“I don’t think you understand, my schedule is full and i have no problem keeping it full, i do not need to negotiate down on price to fill it”

“Sounds like we’re not a good fit”

“that’s not fair to all those in my schedule who accept my rates”

ha, yeah right, “some of the work i dont need” but will make a stink that you didn’t do it and leave bad reviews about you not covering outlets or taking care of plants

lol

4 Likes