Cut-up pricing

I’m having trouble landing jobs with cut-ups, what is a fair price range on in and out and also outside only?

Price it by the pane, anywhere from .50 to 1.00 each.
A wfp is a must for doing cut ups on outside. I like to use foam spray on the inside and microfiber. If you do not have a wfp you can order one of our Simpoles from WCR

thanks John, also I have a customer with 2 pladiums that have 35 individual cut ups, the window is 5’ wide and 5’tall. He actually has 2, one is both in and out and the other is only getting the exterior cleaned. Would the pricing change? Also what if the window were standard size and had stationary window and had only 6 cut ups. I just think that 6 dollars would be too cheap to do. Thanks again

Palladium window = interior ladder work. I would charge a bit more for that.

If you think $6 is too cheap for a “standard” size, but you’re having a having a hard time landing cut up jobs, what’s the problem?

Meaning, the single window has 6 seperate cut ups on it and saying that I priced it at 1 per cut up I would only be charging them 6 for that window when it will take 3 times longer to clean than a standard window with no cut ups. It sounds more logical that it should be at least 2 per cut up making it 12 dollars per window. I still wouldn’t make the money I would on a job with no cut ups but at least I would be working for a little more initiative.

There might be a production problem here not a priceing problem. You should be able to do a 6x6 almost as fast as a 1x1. If you charged $7.00 for a 1x1 and $9.00 for a 6x6 you should be makeing about the same amount of money per hour. I am talking about traditional methods here not WFP ing . Am I on target guys?

My price for one side only would be $2.50 for a standard window and a 6x6 would be $4.50

For cut ups I charge 25 cents per square foot.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We charge $.50 per pane per side usually. That’s $1.00 per pane for inside and outside. Sometimes I’ll raise it to $.75 per pane per side.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have had a few potential customers tell me that pricing structure is absurd. For instance, a woman had an obscenely large picture window in her kitchen that had over 100 panes in it. When I told her the pricing, she said, “That would be over $100 for just that window alone”. She told me to hit the road. So I did and moved onto the next customer. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The majority of our customers don’t have a problem at all with this pricing and we end up making good money that way. I would stick to a structure close to that (maybe adjusting the price up or down a few cents depending) and just move on to the next customer until you get one.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Ken,
Could you tell us what you charge per regular window pane for a price comparison? A buck a pane seems high to me. Maybe you charge more for a regular pane than me as well.

Tony,
Does that mean a 6x6 takes you almost twice as long as a 1x1 and you charge accordingly?

I charge that way based on the fact that there is a ton of extra detailing on the cut ups. It may not take twice as long but it’s much more work.

So the double charge is mostly due to the PITA factor.

Partly. I use a modified version of Jim Willingham’s factor bidding so I can charge according to the difficulty of the job.

So what do you charge when those french panes are 2nd or 3rd story high or in difficult to reach areas or behind double hung style windows.

I would add a ladder set fee for 2nd and third floor work. each floor I go up the fee goes up about 50%. That’s the beauty of the factor system. I don’t have to say “I guess it would be this much”. I can charge according to my base rate plus any factors like height.

If you charge 20% of your price for a regular pane for each cut up you should make about the same money per hour as doing 1x1’s.Unless you are really slow at cleaning cut ups. This has been my experience for 4 years. I still think the issue here is production not priceing.

I would agree w/ that Mike. My original post on pricing is jus tot show what I charge for a house where I have one or two cut ups. If I have a house that is all cut ups (I have one large one that is this way) then it becomes a produciton issue and the outs get done w/ WFP. Otherwise I would be pricing myself out of the market. W/ the WFP I can get production up and keep the prices reasonable.

I have a unique experience since we don’t have very many houses w/ french windows… The three or four that I have cleaned since I started(2 yrs) were priced very high. $1-2 per pane, in and out, and the people jumped at it. When it comes to the occasional door or interior window, I usually factor it in as 10-15 bucks on top of the estimate.
On another note, I don’t price per pane alone, like many of you. I count windows, do the math, and then think about how long it’s going to take me and what I want an hour. I find somewhat of a middle ground between those two numbers.

In New England 6x6 & 12x12 windows are what a lot of houses seem to have. Sometimes they are clip ons but many are the real thing. I think the Pilgrims set a trend around here and it’s still very popular.