Domain theft

I originally registered my domain and hosting with Go Daddy. My friend who does my website transferred my hosting to his company along with “I thought” the domain. Go Daddy sent me a message that my domain would expire which I ignored assuming I was already transferred to the other company.

End result, my domain expired and someone in India named Karan Goyle is the new owner of my domain. I assume they bought it and want to sell it back but I’m not sure what is going on.

Has this happened to anyone here and what should I expect?

thanks.

That absolutely sucks bro! I do know the buying of domains is a nasty, dirty business. They will buy up all those that are similar to yours and offer them to you for a blown up price. I get letters/calls sometimes offering me www.jencorservices.com or www.jencorcleaning.biz or www.jencorwindowcleaning.com. Each time the price goes up. But to have your actual website be taken is just a bad deal.

All I can say is I feel for you and recommend you fork over the cash to repurchase it and secure it for the long term. As all or most of your customers know it.

Bummer.

Just got this follow up email…

Hi,

send me a nice offer and lets work out a deal.

Thanks

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Wayne Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

I am an owner operator of a small window cleaning business in california. I made a mistake and let my domain expire, 805windowcleaning.com

It shows you as the current owner. I assume you bought it hoping I still need it which would be nice if I could keep my website address.

How can I get my domain back?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hey guys,

Should I do this or am I giving away $109- What do you think??

okay, just send me $109 to my paypal [email protected] and I’ll push the domain over to you right now.

Thanks

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Wayne Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

I am honestly just a guy who washes windows trying to make a living. I already registered windows805 incase I don’t get it back I can switch it. Really cant afford much $150 would be a burden for me, I don’t know what kind of number you are thinking of.

Thanks.
----- Original Message -----
To: Wayne Miller
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: 805 window cleaning

Hi,

send me a nice offer and lets work out a deal.

Thanks

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Wayne Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

I am an owner operator of a small window cleaning business in california. I made a mistake and let my domain expire, 805windowcleaning.com

It shows you as the current owner. I assume you bought it hoping I still need it which would be nice if I could keep my website address.

How can I get my domain back?

Thanks,

Wayne

It really sucks, but it’s not as bad as it could have been, believe me.

Something similar happened to me with a web design company that the previous owner hired to get his website and he let them register the domain under their name, so good luck getting it back.
But I stood my ground and tell them that I wasn’t going to pay and I bought similar domains, like 4 or 5 similar ones (you can redirect them later) and they didn’t renew it and I took it back, pay to GoDaddy like $18 so they monitor the domain and as soon as it becomes available they bid on it for you. Doesn’t apply to your case since yours was renewed recently.

Hope you can get it for cheap, but you have to ask yourself “How much that domain is worth to you” … I don’t have a lot of people going to my site but doing all my SEO again will be worth paying the $100

I have paid big money for domains I don’t even use right now.

How much impact of losing the domain will you suffer? If not that much I would dump it and move on. I lost a domain I had for 2 years and I am 10 times stronger than before.

The website is the key.

I would never send money to anyone. What will you do if he does not give it to you?

I would dump it but that’s me.

First lesson to learn here is never ignore the “Your domain is about to expire” notices. No matter who is hosting your web site, it is always you who the domain registrar will need to get money from to re-activate.

Just register a similar domain, keep the same content (if it’s performing well), submit to Google and perform your normal SEO and you will be fine.

Learn from this debacle, dont let your domain expire…

I ended up paying the $109 to the nice lady in India and got my domain back. I believe my friends advice to register a new domain so she doesnt think I’m desperate and act like I dont have any $$ helped me save a bunch. I was expecting and willing to pay more like $500 to get my domain back, all my advertising in print and online points to the domain.

Friggin Extortionists…

That stinks, but at least she did it, without a signed contract, that’s good. She’s probably feeling rich right now with that $109, too

Did she completely transfer DNS control? Or simply push it to your server?

And it was a smart move for you if you had some marketing out there directing people to that URL, too

dude that sucks wayne. I know you recently re did the website and got it all boosted up. If its any consolation I’ll let you borrow my 28ft ladder :slight_smile:

Escrow.com is a great way to do transactions where both parties are safe.

That really sucks. If you have that domain listed in a lot of places it can’t be changed for a while (i.e. phone books) I would pay. However, if your main marketing is other more changeable formats I would start fresh. It’s not terribly difficult to get web presence fast.

I would tell her 2 pound sand (and alot of other really bad things), work on a new domain name, and be more vigilant. You will gain and grow from this bud. Take care

Alls well that ends well. Glad to hear you have it back buddy. :slight_smile:

I actually used that service by go daddy that tries to “grab” a site once its available. Let me tell you I learned a lot. Once a domain name expires, it does NOT become available to the public right away. The original owner gets a “grace” period of 1-3 months to re register it. Once it became offically available, I got an email from go daddy saying they were unsucessful in grabbing the domain for me…I was like “oh well”, then I started tracking it, over the next few days/weeks it was transferred a handful of time to different countries. It landed in China. I contacted the “so called owner” and they said they would sell it to me for $2,000… With in 1 week of that I got an email from Go daddy saying “congradulations…they were able to obtain the domain name for me”. Dont know how or why…but I was happy. And the guy from China still tried to sell me the name after I obtained it…

STOP THE PRESSES BRO!!!
When did the domain expire? By law they can’t touch your domain till about 45 days after it expires. This allows you the option to get the domain back in case you forget. The law is designed for this very purpose because in the past you could only purchase a domain name on a yearly basis. Some large companies forgot to reup the domain, etc etc. Another thing. DONT EVER BUY OR HOST THROUGH GODADDY!! I don’t know how many times I have to repeat this. People here will take the advice of a seasoned window cleaner but not a seasoned web moron. Amazing. But anyway, when was the date it expired according to godad?

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/eddp.htm

Also remember something. Once the domain expires some registars will charge you big money to get it back. Mine is $180.00

Thanks Dwight. I’m glad to have it back for $109. I dont know about all the other legal stuff, apparently either does godaddy. All I know is that a few hours after expiration some chick in india owned my domain with the intent to sell it back to me. I paid her $109 and the regular $9 bucks a year or whatever it is to godaddy. I am in the process of moving it to my friends company www.socaldomains.com

Over now, lesson learned.

Well at least it’s better then $180 right. Lesson learned is the key thing here for everyone.

1. Don’t go with godaddy. No pun intended
  2. Remember to reup the domain and do it for as long as you can…

:slight_smile:

I don’t know why you keep saying not to use godaddy, I have about 8 domains with them and they are fantastic.