Emyth

Continuing the discussion from Book recommendations:

just a side note, did Michael Gerber lose anyone else in Emyth Mastery when Sara asked him why he did what he did and he said he simply didn’t have a reason? That he did it “just because”?

I stopped listening after that because, if he doesn’t even know why he’s giving the advice, why am I taking it, lol?

2 Likes

Because baking pies isn’t about getting done. Because baking pies is about baking pies.

I’ll tell that to the guys all the time. But I change baking pies to cleaning windows.

1 Like

His answer is just a deflection.

Lots of small business owners don’t have a significant reason for the work we do. If he started talking about his personal values and why his work is important and valuable to him… it would turn off just as many frustrated small business owners who haven’t yet found the value in their work.

As you follow Sara’s story, and the many characters he uses in his example situations, he helps you identify YOUR reason for doing YOUR work.

I think an important part of the e myth is that Gerber doesn’t try to be the solution himself. By deflecting this question, he helps to prevent us from
Looking to hard at him for the answers. E myth is great the way it’s written, full of examples and gentle guidance. Showing you the simple principles and Gently guiding you in the direction of figuring out how to apply them YOURSELF.

Lots of business books are written in the opposite style… “do specifically this thing, exactly like this, change your business to suit this precisely described method” and it can be hard to apply to YOUR business

Emyth is more like a parable,
“Do this type of thing, let’s explore how to adapt it to your business”

Make sense? Hopefully lol that’s an essay and a half ^^

#SlowTraffic

Yes, that is helpful.

For some reason, it came across to me like,

“Listen, we are all part of a meaningless existence and we all have to do something. So this is how I manage through my meaningless existence.”

I would have to listen again to his exact wording.

1 Like

I listened to the audiobook and couldn’t stand his voice. The way he said PIES just made me so angry haha

1 Like

Lol, made me laugh out loud. Yeah, that was a factor too. Reader had slight vocal fry as well.

Blech the whole style and tone of the book is almost sickening. So syrupy and sappy and needlessly sentimental. Found that aspect of it totally annoying.

That said, I still highly recommend this book to everyone and feel it is a definite must-read.

1 Like

You said

Mmmm any one down for some waffles and chicken…

But it is a good book…

1 Like

We could go to Linda’s diner or whatever it was called.

1 Like