First Day At My First CCU

So, against advice given to me previously, I decided to take a job cleaning multiple exterior and interior windows for a newly constructed hotel.

I got the call yesterday from the construction manager that the city just passed them their inspection, and they want the windows cleaned by tommorow. Second and third story windows, about 2 windows per room, except the master suites have about 3 large panes, all reachable with an extending pole.

I started the first room this morning, removed the protectors that I asked the construction manager multiple times about the protective films over, and realized that these stickers, adgesive facing the sun for months, were stuck right onto the glass:

I instantly realized how much work this would be, as my scratch waiver hasn’t even been signed yet.

I walked the property, but didn’t go inside before accepting This job, taking the verbal description given as truth.

I was there from dawn to dusk until I couldn’t see the windows anymore, regretting every hour that went by as I was meticulously cleaning adhesive off with 0000 steel wool and a very small Unger razor that I used for residentials, completely throwing off my time I expected to finish in.

I’m currently waiting on the signed waiver as I type this.

I now know how important it is to actually look at what the hell I’m accepting more closely, and I feel like a jackass, but I will complete the job, knowing I can be making more with my time on residentials.

Now then, either roast me, or give me advice, both are appreciated.

3 Likes

There’s no school like the old school of hard knocks. You never forget having a job kick your teeth in and it gives you the backbone to say no to future jobs and not flex on your price.

The first CCU is always the hardest and you’ll always underbid it. You’ll underbid the next one too. But by the third one… Maybe you do good maybe not but at least you’re going in the right direction.

Oh but not having the waiver before you start is scary

7 Likes

Live and learn.
No one ever reveals to you exactly what you learned today.
Notebook in hand, every window gets a pre inspection and noted before a CCU bid so you know what to bid.
Waiver signed or you have other jobs to tend to.

3 Likes

IMO a pole and a CCU don not work well together.

5 Likes

Thanks.

I’ve already emailed a detailed report to the managers that I will finish the job, but I need a waiver for the scraping if they need it done within their time frame.

1 Like

Truism

Due to the way the property is built, 80% of the windows are able to be cleaned, exterior and interior, from inside. I can pop the sliding frame out, clean the exterior of the fixed frame, and the exterior of the sliding frame, pop it back in, and clean the interiors. One trouble I might add is there is glue and/or paint caked on some of the tracks, but the 0000 wool usually cleans it real nice

The large panes need a pole, but Its accessible by walkable overhangs, and I only need about 3 feet of extra reach. The only problem is those windows look like this:

Yes, for a regualr clean you would use a pole for a CCU “I personally” would have had insisted a lift was NEEDED! to properly clean all the stuff that is out of reach.

Fair enough.

I won’t be so eager to accept my next one without a higher accepted fee until I take at least an hour to look at the potential job.

The one thing I’m taking from this is that my fanning has become exponentially better after 6 hours in a row of needing to learn it to get the job done, and that I’ll be 10 times more confident in knowing what to estimate on future jobs.

1 Like

Yes they have “in the past posts on CCU” :wink:

Knowledge is a powerful tool always understand the scope of the job your engaging in @Windowmen.

I hope you learn a lot from this job and applied to future jobs.

Good luck, if you run into more issues, hit the forum up and someone should be able to give you some advice @Windowmen

2 Likes

That’s why CCU is usually 3 times your regular price.

5 Likes

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help, I’ve learned a bunch from here (not enough obviously), and have a lot left to learn, but this community makes it that much easier. Every time I need Google to figure out a prpblem, I’ve been narrowing it to only this site, and it’s been monumental in not just learning how to clean windows, but to run a reputable business.

We ate our first ccu. When the company that hired us called us several months later to quote another job, we took our time walking around the site, made our notes and quoted it high. Guessing $16k was too much because we didn’t get it :grin:

A ccu seems appealing because of the potential cash you can make but I’ve read here and learned from personal experience that you’re no less of a professional if you just say no.

4 Likes

Not gonna say I told you so, and dig into you.

I’m glad you are learning something with this job. I hope in the future, you give the advice a little more weight, that you get here. Many people are here to help you. I don’t think anyone gets enjoyment out of seeing someone screw up.

9 Likes

Underpricing jobs, especially CCUs,is a learning process that many of us have gone through. It is annoying but it is survivable.

2 Likes

Now you know why I no longer do CCU work. I would rather get hit in the face with a steel pipe. Count this as a learning lesson. Now you know to really look at a job in/out and then you can decide if you want to do it. There has been plenty of jobs I have turned down over the years

4 Likes

02edb4cf523675f2d100a29096114b55--burger-recipes-recipes-for

6 Likes

My first large CCU was a hotel too, last year. what was not paid in monetary value (at the time I thought I was losing my booty on that job) I was paid in gained wisdom.

1. write every detail down that comes to mind about obstacles
  2. I’ve found walkie talkie helps if there’s more than 1 man on the job site.
  3. a detailed list of contacts for people that might cause a time delay on your part to coordinate.

At the time we did it I was struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel, 6 months down the road I could laugh about it with the employee I did it with. Spending 12-18/hr days working on something like that in the moment seems to be anything then laughable. You’ll make it through this!

6 Likes

There’s always that 1 hooligan that does enjoy it…

Actually it’s pretty funny because it’s not ME! I’ve been there, hated it every moment, but after you get a few ccu’s under your belt, you’ll find it funny when people make the same mistakes you did.

It’s why I can say he’ll screw up the next one too but by the third one… the third one he won’t screw up as bad.