Getting started? Start here

There have been a lot of new guys joining WCR and asking how to get started. So I figured this might be a nice place for everyone to post and contribute instead of posting the same info every time someone joins.

If you have specific questions, everyone is happy to give good advice, bad advice, or hijack your thread to argue about soap. We like to argue.

There are a bajillion threads on this forum and the search button is your friend. It’s up in the corner and you will use it often. I do.

You can get started for under $1000. Here’s a basic list of tools.

• Bucket with lid

• Swivel squeegee handle - Unger and Ettore are popular.

• Squeegee channels- At a minimum get an 18", 12", and 6". Practice with the 12 and once you get your technique basically down, use the 18 on everything you can. Once you’re good with the 18" you can buy larger channels.

• Rubber - hopefully you’ll need a lot of this but get at least a 12 pack. The 18" will wear out quickly, then you can cut that rubber down for your 12, and your 6" rubber will last forever.

• Mop & T-bar - At a minimum get a 12 & 18 T-bars with matching mops

• Bucket on a Belt (BOAB) and Belt

• Blue huck towels - buy a ton of these. Wash your mops and towels in the washing machine and you probably won’t need soap since they’ll already have soap on them. Don’t dry your mops in the dryer, they’ll fall apart quicker. Don’t use fabric softener or bounce sheets with your towels because it’ll retard water absorption.

• Pole - 8’ or 12’ - this will get you by for 90% route work.

• Soap - Dawn, Ecover, and Glass Gleam 4 are popular. Don’t use too much soap to start or you’ll have problems. If you use too little your squeegee won’t “slip” over the glass. Play around with the soap and find out what you like.

• White scrub pad - Get about 10 of these and cut them in half. You’ll get twice the life and it’s easier to use.

• Bioclean - if you want to remove hard water stain, it’s safe and will keep you out of trouble (compared to acid).

• Can opener - Buy the ones from walmart. These are the best tools for getting screens out of windows. The free ones from home depot and lowes are too bent.

• 2" chip brush - you can get these at walmart and they’re good for brushing dust off sills or out of tracks.

• Shoe covers and drop cloth - you’ll make a great impression in houses.

• Wet floor sign - if you’re going to do mall work.

• 17’ little giant - probably the most versatile ladder in the world. When you get bigger, look at stack ladders and extension ladders.

• Razor & blades - learn about fabricating debris and get a waiver written up

• Business Cards, estimate sheets, & door hangers - join WCRA and you’ll get stuff printed at cost.

• T-shirts - get at least 5 of these with your name and logo on front and back. This is easily the easiest advertising you can do.

Get insurance.

Register your business (LLC or sole-proprietor) and get your business licenses from your town.

Get a Customer Management System - look at Jobber and The Customer Factor

Visit the the Work Belt Setup Thread for ideas on work belt setups.

For those of you who have more than $1000 definitely get a vehicle of some sort and get it logo’d or wrapped. This will set you apart from most window cleaners. Van, Minivan or Truck.

Get a website and look at Proposal and Responsibid.

There are a lot of threads on EDDM (direct mail).

Get a water fed system. There are a lot of threads on different systems and poles.

There are a lot of threads on pricing. For commercial, it seems like most bid at $1.50 to $2.50 per pane inside and out. For residential, it seems most bid at $4 to $6 per pane.

Other members, please jump in because I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting stuff.

14 Likes

Great thread!

I would like to add, Join the WCRA the information that you have access to is unbelievable…

1 Like

Great thread!

I would like to add, Join the WCRA the information that you have access to is unbelievable…

1 Like

dont delay starting , or you will get cold feet

4 Likes

you can also do an s-corp.

“[I]Rubber - hopefully you’ll need a lot of this but get at least a 12 pack. The 18” will wear out quickly, then you can cut that rubber down for your 12, and your 6" rubber will last forever[/I]."

Jared, are you saying that you’d take the worn rubber from the 18" and cut it down to 12"? I thought it was the entire edges that got worn, not just the ends.

Ross

1 Like

I’ve started saving my old rubbers then cutting them down for smaller squeegees. They don’t last as long but still produce a quality result and it saves a few $$

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

1 Like

The ends burn out quicker than the edge of the blade itself. Dont get me wrong, nothing cleans like a new sharp edge but they still get the job done.

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread, it’s answering a ton of my questions!

2 Likes

Tim and Mike already answered but yeah, the ends are where the real problem is unless you nick the rubber in the middle.

Also, the smaller the squeegee the longer the rubber will last. For example (just tossing random numbers out there): if your 18 lasts a week, your 12 can last 3 weeks, your six can last a year (more or less). The smaller squeegee gets more pressure on the glass so it doesn’t matter if it’s all chewed up.

If I’ve got a big house to do, then I don’t screw around and will put freshness in my 12 as well as the 18. But for route work, you might as well get the extra life out of it.

And there’s nothing like the sweet sweet glide of a fresh squeegee rubber.

3 Likes

Some great advice here on what you need to get started. Thanks so much!

Again this forum thread after thread is answering all my questions.

I am amped to get moving

Another bit of advice that will save you a few bucks- just buy rubber in 36" lengths and cut to fit whatever channel you are using. You pay more for the pre-cut ones.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

1 Like

[MENTION=12729]JaredAI[/MENTION]

This is a great post, thanks for writing it up!

Thanks for this list. Will it be set aside where newbies like myself can find it easily?

Excellent post… I’m just new to window cleaning myself and I’ve done all of the things you listed! Except get the minivan I’m dying to get and have it wrapped! I would add try to get a business plan on what you want to accomplish for the week and try your best to stick to it… like i want to blitz this area of town or this subdivision.

kael claxton

Just thought I would bump a old thread to help out some new people.

“learn about fabricating debris and get a waiver written up”
“Get a website and look at Proposal and Responsibid”

ok i loved your post lots of helpful start out info but i don’t get what you meant in those two quote up above. well i do know whats get a website. and where do you get bioclean

JaredAl,

Great thread. My mind is spinning with all the options. I guess I’ll just jump in with both feet and figure it out.

Thanks again - first time member - great info - great people!!

Business cards from vistaprint is how I started.

$12 for 250 cards and I had about $100 more or less of WC when I started cleaning windows for myself out of my little two door cavalier doing route work.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts