Glass Gleam 4 dilemma

I have been using glass gleam 4 for about 4 years now. The main reason I use it, is because the windows stay clean longer. Most of my store front customers only need to be cleaned once every 4 weeks. They love it. I also offer a rain guarantee. So what is the dilemma, you may be thinking? Recently I purchased the new training video from the UK. It is very difficult for me to do the more advanced squeegee techniques on this video with GG4 because it does not have enough slip or glide. The video recommended adding a little dishwashing detergent to the GG4 to add slip. I added a few drops of dawn dish soap and wa la I had the glide I was looking for. I was able to increase my production by 20% with the more advanced moves. So what is the problem? The windows resoiled much faster, about twice as fast. My customers are spoiled, they expect the windows to stay clean for a week or two. I want more glide but I donā€™t want to loose the windows staying cleaner longer marketing advantage. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Best Regards
Mike Defiel
Clear View Window Washing
Hingham, MA
617-827-6433

If you need more slip get Winsol Super Slip and loose the dishsoap. You should again see a return to windows staying clean longer.

That is a good idea Tony. That should do the trick. You could also try maybe just using a tad less dish soap or a bit more gg4 . Play around with it and you will eventually find the right ratio.

Thatā€™s the trouble with GG4, it has less slip & as soon as you add anything to it - it puts a film on the glass. Iā€™ve tried most other solutions - I stick with GG4 because of its longevity at keeping glass clean & the absolute clearest of finishes. I added anti-cal powder for more slip & doesnā€™t seem to hinder the duration, these days I donā€™t seem to bother even using that unless its an extremely hydrophobic glass.
If you do use the anti-cal from the supermarket - you only need to use a tea spoon to a gallon & stir well to disolve. More than this & I was starting to think I was leaving white lines. You may be able to find the equivalent in liquid form, usually for dishwashers. I didnā€™t see any faster deterioration with the added powder.

Thanks, what exactly is anti-cal powder?

Something like this: http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

The own brand powder is a lot cheaper.

I will give it a try. Thanks!!!

I do not believe that windows stay cleaner long with gg4 at all.

The difference in window soaps is mainly in the smell of the soap and the strength of the soap. Gg4 smells high tech. I am not sure that there is any great difference other than that. I am still looking for it. If there is a difference it is not that the windows stay cleaner longer. That is in your mind.

I have washed a lot of windows looking for a real difference in soaps and I cannot find it.

I think people just tend to believe what they want to believe.

Itā€™s not in my mind because Iā€™ve done a test on my storefront route a couple years ago. My customers told me which weeks the windows stayed cleaner longer and the GG4 was picked by each one. I noticed he said his customers noticed the same thing. Coincidence, maybe, but not from 2 sets of customers seperated by 1000 miles and 2 years.

Sorryā€¦I donā€™t believe it is true.

Donā€™t ask your customers to tell you. See it for yourself only.

I have a large storefront route and have been looking to find out what is true.

I have not seen it to be true. I have no reason to be biased about it.

Thenā€¦

I suppose my humid client might be the difference. It is possible science only works in certain climatesā€¦or maybe with certain colored squeegeeā€™s.

It works as advertisedā€¦but I hope the local guys see it as you do. No offense.

I think the truth is that people like to think they are special for buying a special expensive detergent. To me it has to be worth the money.

They think that will make them better than the next guy.

No one is going to beat the competition by buying a detergent.

You are only going to beat the competition by doing a better job faster.

I am in California. If there is something about the weather here that makes a difference, that could be. All I know is my area.

OUt here there is no way you or anyone else will be able to tell the difference in results based on a detergent used. That is what the customers might believe. I have plenty of experience and I am interested in the truth, not a sales pitch. If it is different in your area, that could be.

I am looking for a situation where gg4 makes a difference out here and I have not found it. I do like the smell. I am afraid that is about it.

1 Like

I use GG4 for 2 basic reasons - 1) itā€™s a professional product and 2) I and the people I work for see different results between it and dishsoap. Thatā€™s enough for me!

Feel free to buy whatever you want to.

I am not trying to convince you to stop. Use more than you usually do.

I just find it somewhat tiring to see people saying things that are not true.

I donā€™t think most people know nearly as much as they think they do. That could apply to me also. :slight_smile: I have washed windows for over 30 years and I find much of what I hear to be nonsense. Each person has to see things for themselves; whatever makes you happy.

Just because you havenā€™t ā€œseenā€ the difference doesnā€™t make it - as is implied here - a falsehood. It may be different climates, perception, or alot of other things but what I say is true as based on my customers and my personal experiences.

If itā€™s subjective, you canā€™t prove that it is true or untrue.

Actually there are subjective truths. These differ from absolute truths. As for the difference betwwen dishsoap and GG4 Harv Berger over at Titan Labs could give you all the info to show why glass does stay cleaner longer w/ GG4. Give him a call and find out.

Surely you gest. or, is it jist. nonethelessI think I am special for way too many reasons to include here. No where on that list is soap. But, # 37,579 on that list is my open mind. But, at least THAT is something to feel special about. try it. :slight_smile:

Me too.

They think that will make them better than the next guy.

I mean no ill will here. I did above, but not here. :slight_smile: if the science is true, it DOES make them better than the next guy.

No one is going to beat the competition by buying a detergent.
Here, we agree. But we were talking about using one. Not buying one. (Oh, I think these ā€˜soapsā€™ are not detergents but I may be wrong)

You are only going to beat the competition by doing a better job faster.[quote]
I have just come out of that mind set myself. I also just went back to designer soaps.

[quote]I am in California. If there is something about the weather here that makes a difference, that could be. All I know is my area.

Craig Aldrich and many others are also from Caliā€¦they are also designer soap fans.

OUt here there is no way you or anyone else will be able to tell the difference in results based on a detergent used.

Merv, out there is where the soap was beta tested. THAT is why the rest of the world has it.

That is what the customers might believe.

Nowā€¦isnā€™t that what really matters? Go back to the competition portion of our thread. How do you beat em?

I have plenty of experience and I am interested in the truth, not a sales pitch.

No sales pitch here man. I donā€™t sell product nor do I get kickbacks for anyone else who does. But, since the subject (we call it soap wars here) comes up often and there are armies for both points of view (you are not alone in your thoughts on these soaps) I want to make sure that MY experience is as validated so that readers have both sides.

If it is different in your area, that could be.
No, it is different when ones eyes are trained to know what to look for. It simply lasts longer. The science, once explained, it easy to understand. It is a measurable difference visible to the naked eye.

I am looking for a situation where gg4 makes a difference out here and I have not found it. I do like the smell. I am afraid that is about it.

again, I do not like gg4. I am referring solely to glisten. BUT that is personal.
The majority who use these soaps use the GG series.

however, there certainly is no reason for you to not use the very soap you have found works best for your business. (I will toss some Dawn in my bucket now and again)

Thatā€™s it, Iā€™m gonna break down and try GG4. I have no complaints about the apple scented dish soap I have been using since day 1, but that doesnā€™t mean there is no room for improvement. Plus I have a couple hundred bucks of WCR store credit burning a hole in my pocket. :smiley:

But, I was referencing subjective opinions. :rolleyes: