Hard water stains on a sunroom

Hey guys and gals, got a call today for a window job, they have a sunroom with hard water stains. The windows are about 6’ long each and there’s 2 flat windows then the curved glass, so it’s beyond reach by hand and I obviously can’t walk on the roof. What’s your go to chemical for getting rid of hard water that doesn’t require scrubbing?

I’ve been using BioClean for years, but it works better for screen deposits.

1 Like

OneRestore

First : I have never tried to remove hard water stain without scrubbing ( with my chemical of choice and steel wool )

Second : Are you absolutely certain you can not get on the sunroom roof ( frame ) ? Most of them are designed to bear weight. Its tricky, but you straddle the glass and place your feet on the flat beam or strut and bend over to clean the glass ( It’s not easy ! ). I only do this rarely when other options are not available.

I want to add a disclaimer that this should not be a first option, but reserved for only situations where there are no other options and be done using the utmost of safety precautions.

Not all advice is good advice for sure.

Common sense tells me, working on top of a solarium, straddling the frames, working with a harsh chemical that avoid contact with your skin, clothing or even drying on the panes below you shouldn’t even be an option or advice.

We all are capable of many things if they’re smart or not. Choosing to finish one job and move on to the next without issues is your best choice.

1 Like

You may want to clean it first with a hog hair brush and a bronze wool pad. Get as much off as possible with those tools first. Then you can see the degree of damage that has been done to the glass. That will help you determine what stain remover steps are needed next. You may be able to use a paste or pad on a pole after that or you may need to polish it which would require specialized rigging. Make sure the customers expectations are clear before you start the job. JMO

1 Like

It’s not common sense that tells you that, it’s your own experience that tells you that.

Personally, because of the experience I have, I would not be afraid to do that job myself, from what it isdescribed, Again, because of my personal experience. OneRestore is a great chem, as long as you are well aware of what it can do, both good and bad, and as long as you take proper precautions. Hard water removal isn’t something everyone needs to become proficient in, just like high rise window cleaning isn’t something we all need to know either.

If this is a one off type job, I’d pass too. But if there is enough of this type of work to warrant learning the skill and charging very profitable rates, then I wouldn’t discourage someone from learning.

No, you’re mistaken it’s common sense that tells me that as I wouldnt put myself in that situation.

How are you controlling the access one restore that drips from your slanted piece you’re working on running down the curved piece onto the flat piece below if you’re up on top straddling your frames.

This particular sunroom is an add on, stretches approx 30’ side to side, and around 16’ from the house out to the curved glass. There are no supports underneath the ceiling glass, so walking on it is a risk I’m not willing to take. From the pictures the client sent, the hard water stains aren’t severe, so from reading up on onerestore, I think it will do the trick perfectly. Thanks guys!

All I ever tell the customer in these situations is ‘I’ll do the best I can to get it off’ and they’re usually just fine with that.

1 Like

To add, I’d remind them to avoid this further maintaining it is key.

As I said Jhans it is exceedingly rare that I have chosen to do this. And I did not advice anyone to do anything. I simply stated that I have done this on rare occasions ( With many precautions and with many years of experience ). But to suggest this can never be done safely is not accurate. Most people, including some window washers, would conclude its not using common sense to hang off a building on a small chair attached to ropes and clean a window. But as we know, it’s done all the time and safely. Yes ! everyone safety first. I think we can all agree on that. Thanks.

Your comparison, using a chemical on top of a solarium walking frames would more accurately be compared to a high rise worker working without a safety line.

You compared a direct OSHA violation in any state to the thought of somebody working off the ground being dangerous.

Because I am going to use WFP. I’m not getting on top of the solarium. I’m also going to wet the windows and frame. I’m also not letting the OneRestore sit on the glass that long either. Light stains come off fast with the product.

I’m not afraid of the product, and I have experience using it.

1 Like

Very practical method,

1 Like

Update, went and looked at the job today. Hard water stains are very light, I could rub them off with a finger, didn’t even need steel wool. I guess I’ll save the onerestore for the next job. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

1 Like

those are called dirty windows, not stained :wink:

4 Likes

I have used ACE brand toilet bowl cleaner (hydrochloric acid active ingredient). It’s in a gel form, easier to work with, but you stilla have to be careful as it can discolor cladding, paint, etc.
I think the toilet bowl cleaner is not as agressive as the OneRestore.

I recently had no choice but to use a gel brand and was amazed at how much easier it was to work with and did the job just fine.

Restore can burn glass, as far as I know, ACE toilet bowl cleaner won’t