How To Rank At The Top Of Google?

Ranking high on Google comes from a number of factors. No one knows for sure what they are as google is not talking about how its algorithm is set up or working for that matter.

1. The site must be built clean and light.
    (This means there must be little to no coding mistakes in the site IE: Clean. When it comes to light, I am talking weight in computer size. Your images should not be 10MB when the same quality and results can be shown with 50k.)

Google will not penalize for these two mistakes but what will happen is it’s bot will leave your site and potenially not come back. The bot will read all the code in your site. If it finds a couple mistakes it will keep reading. If it finds major coding mistakes it might view them as suspicious and black list your site (very rare but does happen). As far as the images go, google will download a small catche of the image. These are the images we see when we go to “google images”. The image is too large google will drop the image when downloading it.
Keep in mind the bot is moving very fast reading site after site. There are billions of them that the bots must traverse. So anything you can do to help it along its merry way is a good thing.

Next as mentioned in the article is your “title” of your website. Very very important as mentioned in the article. I won’t go into it as Chris as it covered.

Many people believe you MUST have backlinks. High value backlinks at that IE google PR 3 or more. Well even though this is a good thing, it’s not 100% needed. I have sites listing with in the top 5 of google without one backlink, from anyplace. And yes the sites list high for very good keywords/phrases. So people go around and they start trading links with anyone who will link to them. Some go blackhat and pay to have 100’s if not 1000’s of links listed on “link lists” not a good thing as google has stopped their bot from indexing sites that have massive amounts of listed links with no relevance to anything. This same concept applies to social networking sites, like facebook, myspace etc.
Fact is google understands that not everyone can get a lot of backlinks. Your average user may have 5 to 20. Google wants these backlinks to be relevant to the site that is linking to it and vica versa. If I own a site that has DIY articles on it for home improvement and maintainence, with a lot of articles on it. I link to your site in my window cleaning article. Google likes this. It’s pointing the surfer to relevant information they can use. If I own a site on cleaning a car and link to your site. Google likes this as cleaning car windows would be looked at as relevant information for the surfer. If I own a site about sewing scarfs and link to your site. Googles bot will follow the link, but it may not read your site as your site has nothing to do with sewing.
Hope I’m clear on that cause it’s important in regards to backlinking. Very important.

Next thing you want is text. Lots of it. Google loves to read text. And yes the bot has been designed now to understand sentences so it’s important your text makes sense. Don’t put up a paragraph filled with sentences reading “I window clean windows, so the windows are super clean because I love to window clean. A bright day comes from clean windows and I can clean those windows.”

When you make this text there are html codes in which you can tell the bot to take more seriously. These are known as H tags. H1, H2, H3 etc. I forget, but i believe they go up to H6. H1 and H2 are most important. They should be placed in the 1st sentences of your 1st and 2nd paragraphs. If you do not like the way they look (because your webpage building software will have a default setting on how the tags should look on the website) you can change them. As an example your software may default your H1 tag to be BOLD and font size 24. But that may make your sites paragraph look silly. So change it to fit the style of the page. In reference to BOLD, words or sentences coded as BOLD will be looked at with more relevence by the bot. The bot is measuring your bold coded words against your keywords. Flood these keywords in your paragraph text and you won’t list on google for long. Flood them in BOLD and you will drop from google faster then normal.

The point here is SEO is not hard. Of course you need to know how to build a website and if you don’t you should learn. It’s the #1 advertising, marketing and branding you have for your business. More so than any print media you can make. It’s neck and neck with TV and radio. So you must provide honest, relevant information on the site about your company and services. If you do not, than your site will never list. There are other things that must be done for SEO but I don’t have all day to write them down. But if you read (OH NO I HAVE TO READ) and stay focused you can do this. Now is a great time to build your site. It’s our seasonal downtime and we should have enough breaks in our day to complete this task.

I built my first sight njwindowwashing.com from Nov to Jan 06/07. Once it was done. I did not submit it to google. I SEO’d it and mid Feb tossed it up, and submitted it to google, yahoo and MSN. By the end of Feb 07 I was listing in the top 5 on google and have sat there ever since. Other sites have come and gone but pretty much it’s been me and Chris since then.

SORRY FOR THE LONG ONE.

Usually goggle places results are either above or merged with the results. If you get your website listed for your keywords in google paces your business will be above everything except paid listings.

The advantage is if you have some reviews on your listing and other businesses don’t it makes the customers choice a little easier.

As other people have stated no one knows how google works exactly all you can do is trial and error things yourself or take others word who have donne it. For most of my keywords I’m at the top or towards the top 5 for keyword in organic results and at the top for places listing. Those combined bring me a lot of free business!!!

Being above the maps requires monthly subscriptions, organic is where you want to be eventually. There are a number of ways to get there. There is no magic bullet, everything takes lots of time. You either spend money to get there, or time learning by trial and error. If your time is worth more than you are paying out, well then it’s a no brainer. If you have 100’s and 100’s of hours of free time, start reading and good luck. Variety is the key, and don’t try to cheat Google. Become the authority in your area of expertise.

What about this example? Above the maps listings but it doesn’t appear to be a paid advertisement

I am here: Google Maps

Not sure, but I don’t think he was referring to the google ad’s. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding - With a lot of people in this thread I consider experts (you being one of them Mark) this is a perfect time to ask the question. I’ve done a lot of searching and still don’t understand the patterns. Sometimes organic listings are listed above the google map listings (below the ads). Sometimes there’s one or two above google maps. Other times the google maps aren’t even on the page. How does this work? What makes one listing rank above google map listings while others are below?

Justin,

If you scroll your mouse above the maps and look at the address created by scrolling you will see the tracked address instead of the homepage address. This is because it is a paid sponsor link and it travels through google first so it can be tracked. I get these calls almost daily about some affiliate of Google wanting to have me company sponsored in the links. You will notice if you do that below the maps and scroll over the address it will read the correct homepage address (example).

If you adjust your eyes correctly you can see a slight pinkish color box around the top 3 sponsored links above the map. Sometimes there is one or two only because they haven’t found another sucker…er um client to pay for the keyword with little traffic value.

The problem with that is you have no idea of the traffic value of that specific keyword. Maybe window cleaning san antonio only has one person a day who types that specific phrase. The problem is until you have an evaluation of traffic values and competition strength for certain keywords you are really just shooting in the dark. Once you find an acceptable traffic value for a keyword, and find out realistically if they are attainable then you can proceed. This is done by analyzing your competition and what steps they have done to secure that specific phrase. Does that make sense?

I appreciate the complement Justin, but I am just a student like everyone else. Anyone who calls themselves an expert run, run far away.

I currently do SEO services for local business. I am currently ranked 1st in my city and top 25 in like 10 other small city near by. If your interested let me know and we can chat

Mark, is it better in your opinion to be in the organic listings versus the maps? Why or why not? I think I’d rather be in the map listings

Diamond,

Why not both? The more chances you have of someone getting your info in front of them.

Hypothetically, if you could only have one, which is more valuable?

Sorry man, still not following it. I just googled window cleaning san antonio for example. The first 3 listings are the paid ads (slightly highlighted). When I scroll over them I see what you’re talking about the address not being their homepage address. But then the very next two listings below the ads (Not highlighted) are organic. They are the only two organic above the map listings. When I scroll over them the homepage address shows. The rest of the organic listings start after the google map listings. Can anyone tell me why that happens sometimes and not other times.

There are different levels of Adwords now. Its paid, it just doesnt look like paid. There’s a very light pink background behind it.

Chris, I don’t think it’s paid. Take my site for example. Google “window cleaning spokane valley” my listing is below the ads but above the map listings. I don’t advertise with adwords? Sometimes these listings are below and sometimes above map listings.

You may be right in this instance Justin. I remember a few months ago where AdWords was doing… ummm… I forget what they were calling them but I’ll call them “SubTop” Adwords listings. Almost like an honorable mention if the ad met the need of the search query and location of the user but didn’t quite meet the bid price of the heavy hitters on top.

The only way to distinguish the subtop ads from the regular ads was the verrrrry light pink background behind the subtop ad.

I dunno if they’re still doing this or not though. I never used it to my advantage so I’m not that privy to any changes, but I havent gotten the typical 17 emails and 5 alerts from AdWords telling me the program has been discontinued, so who knows?

Justin I was told its like that for various search terms depending on the amount of search traffic. Who really knows…

If I had to pick just one for me it would depend on the keyword and how the results are displayed. If the places are first then I would aim to get my places listing first.

Personally speaking I work on both because you never know when they are going to switch it up. I have one term that it seems like every other week it goes from merged results to 7 box at the top then organic. So I have my places listed as well as my site. Giving me a better chance that someone gets my info in front of them

If you go to Google.com type in San Diego Window Cleaning you will see that there is the paid listing, then there are some organic listings then the map listings. It’s the organic listings above the maps that I am trying to get to.

Personally I like the maps better. Gives more info, click to call, and my star rating, which no other company has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to be in all three spots, Map, organic and Paid listing.

I’d like to have both maps and organic but not sure how to do it. I paid a service for the maps and was ranked #1 for a couple months. But it looked like it had mixed in with my normal website. Now my maps is gone but my website is number #1 ?

When I typed in Spokane Window Cleaning you came up number 4 in the organic listing. How much are you paying windowcleaning.com for their service? It does not look like you have a maps listing anymore, you just need to create a gmail account then after you are logged into gmail, go back to the goolge.com main page, click on maps then click on “Put your business on google Maps” you should also look up some tutorials for the best practices for making your listing. I also recommend opening a google adwords account and create some ads which can rank at the very top or near the top on the side. you can create a budget and it will not only bring you jobs but it will give your site more clicks and help your organic listing that way too.