How would you handle this

Hindsight is clarity. :wink:

Good luck with your dog.

1 Like

I had something similar happen only it wasnā€™t me that did it. My customer hired someone to pressure wash her driveway (not knowing we did that kind of work) and the PW guys broke her outside tap, just like you said except that it wasnā€™t a gusher only it was leaking lot, like a whole lot, water everywhere pooling on the back patio and running down the driveway. They went to the door got their check, told her about it and left. We came the next day and when I tried to hook up the WFP I saw it. I told her about it right away and she said ā€œyeah the pressure washer guys broke it.ā€ Thatā€™s it. She said her husband was pissed because it was another thing now that ā€œhe has to fixā€ which I found to be weird since they practically live in a mansion. I was dumbfounded that she didnā€™t even ask them to pay for it since they broke it by yanking on a hose that was attached to it. You never know how people are going to react.

2 Likes

X-ray shows mild heartworm is still active. We start 30 days of Doxycycline twice a day, then Immiticide a few days after that with hospital stay. Less exercise these days so he has put on a few pounds. Iā€™ll have to see if over the next 30 days we can bring that down a little before the Immiticide injection.

Oy vey - none at all, or all at once. Thanks for the luck wish.

1 Like

Here is how I would handle it.
1 offer a 50/50 payment. If they stand firm that I must pay 100% of it, then:
2 Iā€™ll pay the whole bill. Then I fire them if they call and want a future cleaning. ā€œSorry, we are all booked up and donā€™t have an opening available for youā€.

Iā€™d pay the bill just to make them happy. Then I would make the business decision to never work for them again. Lesson learned, and business protected from pinheads.

I will stand firmly on 50/50. If push comes to shove I will spread it over time of my ā€œavailable funds.ā€ My Insurance Agent said the Insurance company will determine if I am at fault or not; if they deem that I am then they will pay above my deductible. Who knows how long that takes. If they determine I am not at fault, then I offer nothing.

I have already made up my mind that they are fired. Throw false accusation directly in my face the way he did and we are done. Finished. The end.

1 Like

Blows my mind they would use PVC pipe for that. Wow!

1 Like

Me too! I brought that up and the plumber was like - ā€œitā€™s a fairly new home for this area and a fairly thick PVC.ā€ Further proves to me that nothing I could have done, short of smacking it with a hammer or something, would have caused that.

You bring him to work with you? Our days too long to sit in the truck?

I do on some outside jobs. Brought him to a friends house that I do for an in/out job. Her fianceā€™ doesnā€™t like dogs - I found out. Too bad, I donā€™t like him. >:-)

Good luck with your dog

1 Like

He is hell bent on blaming me. I told him today that insurance will make a determination if I was at fault. If they find I was not at fault, then they wonā€™t pay anything. He is an attorney; he has to know if the insurance company finds I am not at fault then that releases me from his false accusation. He said he wants me to file a claim for breaking the spigot. What a tool. He gave the plumber the go ahead at $900 to cap it off and patch the wall. I would have have said we need another estimate. Funny how the guy was okay thinking he was spending someone elseā€™s money. Oh well, it is all his dollar as far as Iā€™m concerned.

I was prepared to pay to have it fixed. I would have said no to the plumber who charged $900 and had another plumber come out. Just seems $900 is a bit out of the park? I was even going to offer 50/50. Couldnā€™t even get to a point of discussing that with him. So I imagine insurance will side with me that it was compromised before the screen hit it, so likely they will say - no claim. Iā€™ll find out in a week or so I guess?

2 Likes

I agree with you. Service professional seem pretty expensive in my area.

However, I donā€™t see how this should have cost 900 without them bringing in a trencher or somesuch thing.

You know, we talk about the cost of professional windows here, but we all know if we ask an over the top price another window cleaner will be called. This just seems like over the top. I am not stupid or naive about things. Sometimes things get expensive - sometimes there is the price gouging.
There are two garages here in town. One I used for a while until they gave me a quote of almost $500 to do my brakes. Went to another garage a friend has used for years and they wanted $275. I would have paid a bit more than $275, but not $500!

1 Like

Yesterday I was looking around at the outside water taps and all the ones I saw were screwed into the wall. I checked a few of them none of them even budged. It got me to thinking that if it was properly fastened to the wall the PVC wouldnā€™t matter so much.

Was it properly secured to the wall? This one below for example is installed wrong:

Again, I just donā€™t see a properly installed spigot breaking off if itā€™s installed correctly.

2 Likes

They are trying to screw you on the fix, imho. If someone wrecks into my 2000 subaru, I donā€™t get to have them replace it with a 2016 model.

It was flush against the wall and a metal bracket holding it flush adhered to the wall. So danged bazaar what force it was that could have broke it. This guy had me questioning my every move as I was cleaning the window nearest it. No matter how I run it through my mind I canā€™t for the life of me explain how it broke. And the threaded part of PVC is thick!

Edit: Actually, I donā€™t know for sure if it was done correctly. It was behind the bushes and I never knew it was there until the screen snagged or bumped on it. It appeared to be flush from the placing the broken piece against where it broke. I think the guy lost his cool and was trying to pin someway/anyway on me. Whatever. Let the chips fall where they may when insurance makes their determination.

Great information Steve, i was thinking the same thing.

+1Additional like!

1 Like

The pic of the cutaway, is exactly like the one attached to my house, and every other house Iā€™ve seen them on.

I can see running PVC to the other end of the valve, but other than that, if they werenā€™t using THAT exact type of outdoor water faucet, then I canā€™t see how it is even ā€œcodeā€.

That valve is under 75 bucks at the local mega hardware store.