How would you handle this

Yea, but the plumber just capped it off after chipping away some masonry to get to it. They say they never use that spigot so that is why it was capped off. Dude says it would be more to put a new spigot on.

I would just get 3 estimates for installing new spigots. From 3 reputable companies

Pick the middle one , an say this is all your getting from me asswhole take it or see you in court

I’m im NY mine cost me 280.00 your telling me fla is more

Guy had to cut a whiole in my wall on the inside. It was behind the washer so I left the whole. He put a shut off valve there too

In all honesty he was @ 65 an hour. I new him but that’s what he charges. So even at 125 an hour add another 180-200 whatever don’t make me do math. It’s still 500

1 Like

[quote=“Garry, post:42, topic:37002”]
Yea, but the plumber just capped it off after chipping away some masonry to get to it.[/quote] I think that’s your answer. I doubt if it’s code to run pcv through masonry. Also was the masonry behind the vinyl siding? If so, it seems they might have extended the pipe a couple inches beyond the brick or whatever is behind there and never properly secured the spigot. The vinyl alone won’t hold it.

No vinyl at all. Masonry home.

You guys have really weird plumbing set ups.
this is what a outdoor tap looks like here

If i broke 1 it would cost me $11 to fix

Ya … You won’t believe some of the spigots here. They put some of them so close to the ground you could barley connect a hose

Can’t go and change stuff on your dime. If the spigot wasn"t replaced, what could you have broken? I’m pretty sure the insurance would want the price of replacing the spigot, not remodeling that particular part of the plumbing.

1 Like

Mr Douchbag said in his letter that my carelessness resulted in repair costs of $940. Seriously? No further contact with him. It will all be handled by insurance from this point forward. smh

2 Likes

“you never know how people are going to react”

Exactly man. Was at a job yesterday I am always in shock she still uses us. 2010 a guy pulled a major no-no and she had every reason to do whatever she wanted. She is still with us and even said the rookies windows looked great…which I then re-cleaned to get out of there.

It’s customer service, we get to deal with all types.

I feel your pain Garry. In July I did a CC for a realtor on her brand new house. I should have known better to start the job when there were a half dozen contractors trying to finish up the job, we felt rushed trying to work around everyone trying to get it done. I ended up razor blading the stain overspray off the front door, which was tempered, opaque, glass, and I ended up putting these micro-scratches in it. You could only see them during the few hours of morning sun, but in any event it was my fault and I admitted it. I offered to claim it on my insurance and even went as far as purchasing a Glass Renu system (would have been an easy fix). I did everything to make it right, never cashed her check for $850, and never heard another word about it. If the door had to be replaced it’s fair to say it was probably in the neighborhood of $5k. Guarantee I will never make that mistake again!

1 Like

If I felt I broke that by my alleged “carelessness”, I am a stand-up enough guy to admit it and step up to the plate. He is allowing frustration to cloud his judgement.

Yea, that CCU scratch waiver is important!!

Well in my case it was completely avoidable, I should have checked in a inconspicuous spot. In your case it’s 100% bad luck and the homeowner failing to acknowledge the fact of shotty workmanship of the plumbing. More often than not I go above and beyond just window cleaning and point home maintenance things out to my customers, something they appreciate. I think no matter how you explained the situation, he didn’t care.

1 Like

Cleaning window at a one story today, and a screen slipped out of my hands and landed next to the hose spigot…all I could think of was this post.

1 Like

What would you think if it broke off a few moments later?

I don’t see how a screen could break that!

D’ats what I’m saying man! This guy can’t seem to get past the belief that for some reason I stood on his spigot. Most likely the night before some prowler was looking in his window. I just happened to be on property when it gave up the ghost. A final nudge by any means was all it took apparently.

As far as I see it, and I didn’t read all of the replies, you are a business owner and it is your responsibility to fix it. It would be different if there was a preexisting crack in glass or something similar, but you admitted to hitting it with a screen and it busted. End of story. Spend the $1000, and walk away.
Owning a mansion I am sure they could be a good reference. One thing we know for sure is if you refuse to remedy the situation (paying 100% for repair) then they will never say anything good about you.

Suck it up, pay the fee, make your money back on another job. Risks of being your own boss IMO.

I am trying to absorb the extreme power that a window screen could wield against a water spigot? This conclusion even considering the fact that nary a dent is on the screen frame? I could accept partial blame just to be a good guy about it, but in principle I WILL NOT ACCEPT his lie that I stood on the spigot. That is what he is accusing me of.

See, a long time ago I made the conscious decision to not roll over and accept false accusations against me. I am strong enough as a man to stand up and take whats is due, but I will not cower under false accusations just to appease a guy who is full of $%#&.

3 Likes

I suppose there always will come a time when you have to put your foot down. You have operated a business longer than I ever have, I guess only you will know when that is.

My friend, the flip side is this - Say I reel back and say here Mr. Homeowner, take my money. There is no other conclusion than I was present so therefore I did it. When asked by someone of who to call for window cleaning, will he recommend me? No, probably not. He’ll say don’t use that guy, he is careless, he breaks things, he isn’t worth the hassle even though he paid for it; do you want someone on your property who breaks things?

I will stand my ground and not accept being coerced into paying something I know in my mind I didn’t break.

Now - the insurance adjuster may come up with a determination that somehow I was at fault. I can’t imagine how, but no telling what will come out of this. But I am not rolling over and taking blame because someone who wasn’t even there to see me working says I did it. Make sense? Otherwise every time any of us comes across such a situation, we are to accept responsibility without question or defense?

1 Like