Ladder in street

The ladders are always structurally sound it’s the people using the ladders that’s the problem, never the sectional ladders.

I would pole it safely from the ground

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

All you have to do is stack three next to the building and then lean the ladder against the building. Put the base between you and the ladder, raise the ladder up with the tip against the building and stack it on top of the base and Bam! Your done.

That said your better off using a pole. If you have never done 2nd story pole work the last thing you should do is use the fliq, especially if the windows are really dirty. You should be able to do those windows with a regular squeegee. What squeegee do you use on commercial?

@BostonMike yeah your right iffy is not a good word to use in this situation.

@Streakerfree i agree with you.

@IronLionZion yup that would be an awful sound. I also would wfp or pole them trad. like i mentioned to @WVWindowWashing.

1 Like

I’m not sure four pieces are going to reach the last window set anyways so your probably going to have to pole it. Hard to tell from the picture.

1 Like

Wow, first thanks everyone! What a supportive community.

Yes, the frames are. I checked with the manager right off the get go and he confirmed they are a support structure for the building. Plus, I saw the other company using them.

Just installed my extendas. Thank God wcr throws in the special bolt kit you need for the metallic ladders!

I mainly needed stacks so i could put the ladder on the frame and set it at an angle since the sidewalk isn’t wide enough for an extension ladder.

If i don’t post for a while at least you guys will know what happened…jk! I’m very cautious with ladders. I won’t do anything if there’s any doubt. And the place is not just cool with that, they are insistent on it. The parade isn’t that important to them.

The Pulex microtiger. And yeah, I’ll definitely be ditching the fliq on this one.

They care most just about the first one so they have a nice view of the street. If i can just accomplish that at least it won’t be a total letdown.

All in all, their regular company let them down and I did the best i could showing up the very next day and booking the job site-unseen. They said the other guys do good work but are difficult to deal with. I make it a point to have stellar customer service (which is sorely lacking in my neck of the woods). They may never hire me again regardless of the result, but I’m giving it my best, which in the end is all i can do.

Oh and also positive is that this is another call from a town where I’ve never advertised. I guess online is working.

Again, many thanks to all of you and especially for being so concerned for my safety. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m not so sure I’m sold on the idea of the manager knowing what he’s talking about.

1 Like

Doesn’t mean it’s safe or wise.

I agree… But in this case it’s actually an architectural firm and he seemed to know his stuff.

i did a job where there was sort of a pergola style structure. it prevented ladder pole for the windows above. the husband was wlking buy as i was deciding if i was going to walk on it so i asked him if it was strong enough.
“ya i think so, you should ask my wife though she’s a structural engineer”

1 Like

Yeah sorry man , sounds like youre in a pickle. You can tell them the proper way to go ( getting city permits blah blah blah ) you won’t meet the dead line an just tell them you can’t do it .

Or

Go super early , 3-4am . Park your truck as a baricade where you ladder will be . And get it done . Take someone with you as extra eyes and hands. You can do touch ups with a pole when day light comes .

4 Likes

Oops! Earlier I thought you were talking about the ladder being structuraly sound not the building. Went on a short rant. Lots and lots of folks on here think sectionals aren’t safe structurally. Anyway are the frames on those windows large enough for the ladder tip to grip a corner when it’s set at an angle, not perpendicular with the building?

I thought you were going to set the ladder up on the sidewalk at an angle. Sounds to me like the other company just sets up on the sidewalk and cleans the windows. NO BIG DEAL. Wouldn’t surprise me if the windows have been getting cleaned the regular way from the side walk with a sectional for over 100 years.

I wish you were cleaning in Boston I’d be right over.

PS
You know our ladders don’t push very hard against a building. Push yourself off the building some time. It’s like the weight of a push up. Very light.

1 Like

I found a picture of a guy on the internet doing that building with a sectional almost 100 years ago!

Oops! He’s got his ladder base in the street not on the sidewalk. But that’s because he’s NOT SET UP AT AN ANGLE TO THE BUILDING.

6 Likes

We should make a thread just for pictures of old-timey window guys and gals doing their thing

1 Like

Samuel: start the thread. :sunglasses:

1 Like

https://community.windowcleaner.com/uploads/default/original/3X/e/d/ed34ffe63c4f6b6a55fea6feb81b79c430f8cf6f.jpg

I believe you set up against the concrete walls not the window frames. Kinda like the video I posted above. Two ladder sets for each window because they are wide windows. Are you any good left handed? Haha

That is the CORRECT answer if you want to ladder up and clean nose to the glass with perfect results. The base would be set on the sidewalk IN THE MIDDLE of the window at an angle NOT NEXT TO the window square with the building. You might have to lean out a tad on one foot to reach the center.

@WVWindowWashing

2 Likes

Here’s a guy leaning out a tad on one foot.

Ladder NOT AT AN ANGLE.

1 Like

At an angle like these gals. Always at an angle.:sunglasses:

https://community.windowcleaner.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/f/8f5f7725380d62177bd531e4cea4e515fa435f1d.jpg

3 Likes

That’s what I like about you Mike, sometimes! :wink:

1 Like