March Contest: Best Tool Modification

JESSE, nifty bit of welding there , 0.8mm mig wire size??

My friend Paul welded it for me. I initially tried to hold the clamp onto the squeegee handle with zip ties which didn’t work so well. So I brought it to my friend who is a retired diver/welder. I figured that if If he can weld industrial equipment a hundred feet underwater, he can weld a clamp to a squeegee handle.

I did use one of these to cut the squeegee handle, though.

That scrim clip is a lot better than the hairtie I usually wrap around the pole. I’m gonna make one.

This is my (not completely set up for the season yet) squeegee system and my awesome new (too expensive) bag I found at homedepot. For my squeegees, I use a 4" metal cutting chop saw I got on sale for $30 from Harbor freight. I use my grinder and a round mini file to round out/remove burrs from the edges. I sprayed them yellow because they are harder to lose, I still need to clear coat them and I label them with their sizes. I will be sewing matching size labels on the bag so each squeegee will have a place and we will know when one is lost. Yes, I use every one of these squeegees in my work. I’ve been meaning to post a video of my work method so people can see what I am talking about when I describe it. I always have a mini tape measure on hand too.

Nice setup, Melody. Very organized. That’s the first time I have seen anyone paint the channels. I guess, yellow is a good color for visibility. I like the idea of having the channel sizes labeled - very quick to grab the right one.

This is how I organize my hand tools. I have a 24 inch tool box so I can fit all my channels in in - even my 22". It has a pull-out top tray (not pictured) that holds a sheaf of rubber, clips, razor blades, small multi-tool etc.

My handles include a 9" ledger (one of my favorite tools), a 16" double bend ledger, a 0 degree swivel lock, an ettore contour pro plus, a backflip handle (which is basically the same shape as the ledge-eze) and a couple of ettore aluminum quick release handles.

I like your idea but I have no idea how to weld it.

I would appreciate any information you could provide on it.
Somehow I missed learning how to weld.

Thank You Merv

I tried a toolbox (ok…3 different styles of toolbox) but they didn’t work for as well as I had hoped. Now I use one box for my wfp related tools and parts, and one carries the tools that we have that aren’t commonly used, but we need to carry on the truck. The tool bag above has 2 parts bins that don’t show in the picture. Also has a whole lot of pockets on the other side to keep rubber, scissors, tape measure, squeegee handles etc. It can be hung from a door with hooks. (can you tell I’m excited about the bag?)
The only problem I have had with painted channels is that eventually no matter how great the paint job, and how long I let it cure, the squeegee handles scratch them up. I now use a modified ettore progrip quick release because it opens wide enough to not scratch the paint. I like using the brass ettore quick release handles better because they are easier to use in tight spots but they scratch my paint. Having the right sized on the squeegees is the difference between spending 10 seconds looking for the right size, or a minute or two, which adds up over time. btw…when my kit is in the bag complete, I have a couple 4, 5", 9 and 10", and then I have 6-8" squeegees cut to 1/8" increments. you can do 1/4" but you would end up changing the rubber a lot to make it fit.

So made several MOD videos today, signed up w/youtube, trying to upload, it is running slower than a slug squashed on the pavement. Longest is just under 600 mb runs maybe 5-6 minutes, shortest is just over 200 mb maybe 2-3 minutes. They are in avi format and running on a mac. Is this normal with uploads?

[COLOR=#333333]I like your idea but I have no idea how to weld it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]I would appreciate any information you could provide on it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Somehow I missed learning how to weld.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]Thank You Merv[/COLOR]

Merv, you could probably just use a good epoxy. They make glue now that is stronger than steel. I bet gorilla glue would work well. Rough up both sides of what you are gluing with sandpaper (fine grade probably) then apply a thin layer of gorilla glue, finally clamp the pieces together (with a different clamp :)) and wait 'till they dry - give it 24 hours. Then trim off the excess glue that will come bubbling up out of the sides with a razor blade.

You could also rivet it. Get some really shallow rivets so they won’t protrude very far in the inside of the handle otherwise it will interfere with the pole tip being able to fit inside.

give it a try. The only thing you have to lose is accidentally gluing your hands together, cutting off one ore more of your fingers, setting yourself on fire, and/or brain damage from glue fumes… I love projects!

[SIZE=3]Or you could flatten the end?
Then put two rivets in it that should hold it on?[/SIZE]

Just a word on the longer channels - I use a map/document holder, stops the rubbers getting roughed up.*
Looks exactly like this. *

[COLOR=#333333]Or you could flatten the end?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Then put two rivets in it that should hold it on?[/COLOR]

That’s an excellent idea He Man. I started to do that, but cut the squeegee handle a little to short, so I decided to weld it.

[COLOR=#333333][INDENT]Just a word on the longer channels - I use a map/document holder, stops the rubbers getting roughed up.*
Looks exactly like this. *[/INDENT]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][/COLOR]

That’s an awesome idea, Karlos! I need one of those now. My toolbox is 24", but if I want to protect a 30" channel, I am out of luck. Where did you buy yours?

Or you could use a pvc pipe with end caps on them?

That is what I do Herman. The map/doc holder would be lighter though.
Dale

[SIZE=3]Here is a foam type rubber it is used for water pipes.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]

It is good for any handles they come in different sizes and easy to put on.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]

This is on one of the poles and an old unger scrubber T- Bar.

[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]Good on a WFP easy comfortable grip.

[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Merv
I just put one of those together today
I used a hammer( heavy) to fatten and bend the handles " wings". I had to use a smaller clamp for ease of opening ( small hands)
I also drilled two holes into handle and clamp for two 3/4 1/4-20 bolts and lock nuts
I am going to wrap my handy work with vinyl black tape for looks… I wish I had seen this before I got my brand new. Flexigrip. Eeerrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you. I appreciate it.

[COLOR=#333333]I just put one of those together today[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]I used a hammer( heavy) to fatten and bend the handles " wings". I had to use a smaller clamp for ease of opening ( small hands)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]I also drilled two holes into handle and clamp for two 3/4 1/4-20 bolts and lock nuts[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]I am going to wrap my handy work with vinyl black tape for looks[/COLOR]

Bending the wings… of course! I had to do it the hard way, I guess. That makes sense. That’s awesome that you figured out an easier way to do this. Post some pics if you can, I think a lot of people will benefit from a simpler way to make this.

[QUOTE=mephany;184210
The only problem I have had with painted channels is that eventually no matter how great the paint job, and how long I let it cure, the squeegee handles scratch them up. .[/QUOTE]

a good solution to that would be to get your channels lightly sandblasted first and then powder coated ,yellow. i used to know a guy who did that process and its incredibly tough,you cannot scratch off the powder coating even with a knife . various types of sand can be used for sandblasting but i remember the best finish was when he used Garnet sand (red) which was shipped in from Australia. sandblasting and powder coating isnt expensive either to have done

</SPAN>

[SIZE=3]This is just a thought.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]

Get some strong glue like two part mix then, add the colour you want.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]

Should stay on?;):)[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]