Methanol?

Best recommendations for Methanol use and application for winter cleaning.

1 Like

Be sure to check out this show. They are talking about winter cleaning tips and I’m sure they will touch base on this and many things

5 Likes

If you cant wait this post you might find the perfect balance

1 Like

Drink it. Keeps you warm.

1 Like

and blind, oh and dead :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t really have a formula. Basically I add about 2.5 to 3 gallons of water and then add methanol, 1/4 gallon to start then add more if needed. If it freezes up then add more. Some people say not to use hot water, I myself haven’t noticed excessive evaporation.Methanol mixes well with water and does not separate a whole lot…

2 Likes

If you gonna use pure methanol keep those Seal Skinz Gloves on. You don’t wanna be the “The Lepra Window Cleaner”.

2 Likes

thanks for the solid advice.

1 Like

rite!:scream:

i heard it mixes well with coco:smile_cat:

2 Likes

No problem. hope it helps

1 Like

Strongly recommend keeping hot water away from glass when temps below freezing.

2 Likes

good point.

1 Like

Just started to view the shows. love it very helpful guys

2 Likes

Crack risk?

1 Like

Yes, definitely a crack risk. People around here never throw hot water on structure windows but every now and then I hear about someone who threw hot water on their vehicle windshield and ended up with a crack across the windshield.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the windshields already had small cracks or chips and the hot water might have accelerated the cracking problem.

3 Likes

Most likely.

2 Likes

Yeah, no hot water and yes the methanol does evaporate out faster in hot water. You may not notice a whole lot of evaporation visually, and it may still be enough to keep the water from freezing but… The methanol is evaporating at a more of an accelerated rate which means you are breathing in more than needed. And to be clear the proper amount of methanol in your body is no methanol.

As far as dilution. I start at a 10% mix which will get you down a bit below freezing. 15% is around what windshield washeer fluid is, and does a great job at preventing freezing down to around -20 supposedly but I’ve seen it freeze still. 50/50 methanol to water will get you to -60.

Like I said about windshield washer fluid going down to -20, the reason you see if freeze on your windshield is because of how quickly the methanol evaporates out of the solution. Thats especially when you are driving, the wind evaporates the methanol out.

5 Likes

Honestly I’m not saying it couldn’t cause a window to Crack,but I have cleaned a ton of glass with 80 some degree water with methanol in my bucket.
The water cools down pretty damn fast anyway, heck 60 degree water feels pretty warm when its 0 outside

1 Like

I feel ya cold is cold RITE!